Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 AM

22 posts, read 45,192 times

Advertisements

I've been visiting Va Beach since I was a kid, and for the past 2-3 years have been able to spend the majority of my summers there, close to the ocean.

In the summer, it's a utopia for me and I have just about everything I need. I love being by the beach, I love First Landing State Park and other outdoor areas, but I also find there's enough going on in Virginia Beach and also Norfolk that I don't feel bored or isolated.

I've been questioning whether I could live in Virginia Beach year-round, but worry about what the off-season would be like, particularly in waterfront areas. Is it just dead? Isolated? Depressing?

BTW, I'm a 30-something single female with no kids, so the isolation concern is a big one for me. That's why I've tended to live in dense urban areas in the past... the types of places where there's other singles like myself, and I can walk to coffee shops, bars, etc.

Things I don't love about Virginia Beach, which I fear could be exacerbated by year-round living:
- The car-dominant culture
- The military-dominant culture
- The aspect that's present of the "Jesus-loving South"

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:01 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
I grew up there in Va. Beach, so it's great in the summer, and in the winter its cool too. It gets cold in the winter, and the oceanfront is dead. But, Va. Beach is big enough that other things are going on beside the oceanfront. Locals still go to the oceanfront in the winter, just no tourists.

-You are worried about the cars. Well it's big there, and there are many , many cars. But, there are very , very nice Parks and walking trails in Va. Beach near the shore that are great if you like walking and trails.

-There's lots of military, but mostly in Norfolk. Most all locals never liked or respected the military there when I grew up.

- Honestly , I am a christian, and it is pretty conservative there, with many Christians, and the 700 Club headquarters there in Va. Beach. Sorry, you are worried about that in the South.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:06 PM

69 posts, read 149,164 times
It can feel a bit like a ghost town in the winter by where the hotels are, but as pp mentioned, locals still go out and it doesn't really get so cold people are complete shut ins or anything. What are you trying to compare it to? What makes VB attractive to you aside from the beach? Military people are all over. Our area is very transient. As for The aspect that's present of the "Jesus-loving South"---not really sure what that means. We are geographically south of course, however in this area some call us more "mid-atlantic." There are southern influences here, but due to probably the military, it is mixed from people coming here from so many different places. It would be nice if retained more of the southern culture in some respects.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 AM

22 posts, read 45,192 times
I do think the beach and the water is what makes VB most attractive to me. And I would want to live near the beach.

But unlike some other beach towns in the Mid-Atlantic (i.e. Rehoboth) there seems to be enough going on year-round that you wouldn't be so bored, restless and isolated. That's what I'm trying to gauge.

As far as the religion stuff, I'm just not religious at all, and I'm not used to having it in my face in any way, shape or form. I feel like when I'm down there, I see more of that than I do elsewhere. I'm just not used to that. I'm sure it's not that big of deal in VB compared to other areas of the South, though.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Broke from DC, you don't need to worry ...nobody will be in your face about religion there. The people are cool, but if you ever want attend a church , there are plenty available!

Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDC View Post
I do think the beach and the water is what makes VB most attractive to me. And I would want to live near the beach.

But unlike some other beach towns in the Mid-Atlantic (i.e. Rehoboth) there seems to be enough going on year-round that you wouldn't be so bored, restless and isolated. That's what I'm trying to gauge.

As far as the religion stuff, I'm just not religious at all, and I'm not used to having it in my face in any way, shape or form. I feel like when I'm down there, I see more of that than I do elsewhere. I'm just not used to that. I'm sure it's not that big of deal in VB compared to other areas of the South, though.
I'm curious as to what your experiences in VB are that made you feel that religion is that prevalent. I grew up in VB, moved to San Francisco, moved back to Virginia (Richmond), and now live in Norfolk (and planning another move VERY soon). As a local, I can list many things I don't like about this area, but it being too religious isn't one. I don't think it's any more religious than every where else I've been. Most people are religious, and so it makes sense that most places reflect that. I do understand where you are coming from though - I'm not even slightly religious myself.

As far as your other questions, VB's Oceanfront is pretty dead during winter. The bars and clubs are still open, and there are still events (Neptune Festival, for example) that go on during the off-season, but not like the summer time. However, VB is a beach town all the time - not just in summer - so the culture in VB doesn't change just because of weather. People still surf everyday, wear flip flops, ride beach cruisers, go boating and fishing, hang out on the beach (maybe take a nice, quiet nap), go kayaking/stand up paddle boarding, hike at First Landing (aka Seashore to many locals), and so on. A lot of the stuff tourists like to do during summer are local favorites too, and we get to do them when everyone else goes back home. Together with the rest of Hampton Roads, there's plenty to do and become involved in.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 AM

64 posts, read 121,676 times
Where do you plan to move to next Grendel and what is making you move?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxbane View Post
Where do you plan to move to next Grendel and what is making you move?
I'm looking at lots of places. My fiance and I both have family and friends in the Northwest, so we are interested in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Also looking at Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Boston, and DC because jobs are more available for us in these cities (although I'd prefer to avoid NoVA if possible).

The main reason we're leaving is job prospects. There's just nothing here for me when it comes to a career in my field (environmental policy/natural resource management). I've been on the job hunt for YEARS with basically no luck. I'm lucky to have the job I have now, but there's no room for growth. My fiance is a dental hygienist, so she can work anywhere relatively easily. She's employed now, but hygienists tend to be underpaid here when compared to other regions. She could make almost double what she's making here in parts of the Northwest, and the cost of living isn't that much higher (not double, anyway). We both just think its time to put Hampton Roads in the rearview mirror.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:23 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
That's going to be our loss, xGrendelx.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
That's going to be our loss, xGrendelx.
Thanks LL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area