Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 AM

21 posts, read 69,530 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Gloucester in Feb and was wondering about the commute to Richmond from Gloucester....I have heard and plotted anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours depending on the GPS systems I Google...my sister in Hayes says about 45 minutes....anybody make that commute and can give me an idea....commute is to Broad & Falmouth St....also hows the area around there???? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,837 times
Depending on where in Gloucester. Will it be Hayes ? I would say about 1 hour and 15 minutes..commuting time depending on time of day.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
My mom commutes from Gloucester to Richmond and it usually takes her anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. As far as living in Gloucester goes, depending on where you live makes a difference as with any place. She lives on the water in a very private, secluded area. She loves it. After living in large cities most of her life, she loves living in a an area that is small and quaint. There are several new neighborhoods currenlty being built in Gloucester and many more in the works. Gloucester happens to be on of those areas that is off the beaten path so housing prices are still reasonable. It's a good place to live without much crime but I'm not sure about the schools (if you have children). Good luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 AM

thank you for the info....I have seen that the Gloucester area seems to be booming with new housing and Rt 17 seems to be bustling with new businesses too in the last few years...I was very happy to see a Wawa as moving from the Philly area, Wawas are a very special place(best gas prices too)....

Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 AM

Not sure if you will be renting or buying. There are some great values on new homes around the courthouse area in Gloucester. Prices start under at $ 200,000 for a detached home with a garage in a nice neighborhood. A comparable home on the peninsula would be at least $260k + .

Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 PM

thanks Mr W...just bought home in a new development near GHS and looks like it will be a beautiful development when completed(about 90 homes total)..I settle end of this month....looking forward to the move from the cold north and being closer to OBX too...

Old 01-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Congratulations on your home purchase.. If you haven't already been there you should try Short Lane Ice Cream on RT 17, best home made ice cream in town. Also try Olivias Restaurant both in Hayes on Rt 17 near the courthouse on Main St. Also check out the Ware Neck Produce Market on Main St. Great local market featuring a variety of locally grown produce, etc.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:53 PM

144 posts, read 680,129 times
Mr. W is probably closer to right for the area you've mentioned. I grew up in Deltaville and worked in Gloucester Pt. I've traveled route 17 to Saluda, VA many times. From GHS to Richmond will be at least an hour and probably closer to 1H 15m. Make sure you take R14 from R17 to R33 towards Westpoint. There's a little convenience store/gas station at the intersection with a trailer park behind it. Gloucester is a great up and coming area. Still have many ties there and go there often to visit my wife's family that live in the northern end of Gloucester County (Glenns area). For the most part traffic shouldn't be too bad unless there's an accident. There are alternative routes but they would be kind of lengthy. I hope you enjoy it there.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
**There's also Jessica's Sweet Shop (?) in downtown Gloucester near the firestation and it is a wonderful little bakery/deli with fresh soups and great sandwiches! Congrats and good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 PM

thanks for all the tips...appreciate it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area