U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 PM

7 posts, read 5,927 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm considering moving to the area this year and I have a few concerns about living on a coastal state.

Does this area have bad issues of flooding? How does this area fare against hurricanes and tropical storms?

I grew up in the Midwest and we had some flooding a few times in the spring and summer, but as long as you didn't live near a river, you generally didn't have to worry about it.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 01:57 AM

998 posts, read 1,065,705 times
Hello, same thing here, if you don't live near water you have nothing to worry about. If you do choose to live near the water, which there is an abundance of here in the form of creeks, rivers, the Bay and the Ocean, I'm pretty sure you will be required to obtain flood insurance. I live in a coastal suburb on the Chesapeake and flood insurance is REQUIRED if you purchase property in a flood zone.

Hurricanes are a threat from time to time as they are all along the southeast coast. We have lived here since 2006 and nor'easters are fairly common but we are usually on the southern end whereas New England usually bears the brunt as the storms move up the coast. I would suggest you google nor'easter to get more detailed info.

It's a beautiful area and if you love the water I'm thinking you will very much enjoy it here.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 02-11-2015 at 02:06 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,419,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweatherreport View Post
Hi - I'm considering moving to the area this year and I have a few concerns about living on a coastal state.

Does this area have bad issues of flooding? How does this area fare against hurricanes and tropical storms?

I grew up in the Midwest and we had some flooding a few times in the spring and summer, but as long as you didn't live near a river, you generally didn't have to worry about it.

Thank you!
In my opinion, flooding is a concern in this region, especially in low lying parts of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, and Poquoson. It wouldn't be a deterrent from me living here (obviously since I live here haha) but it is always something to keep in mind.

If you are gonna rent then rent wherever and just be aware that certain areas are subject to tidal flooding and poor drainage etc...

If you are gonna buy, especially on a 30 year mortgage, then study the flood zone maps before making a purchase. I wouldn't but anything but Zone X around here in the long term personally... just too much uncertainty with changing flood insurance premiums, trends in sea level, local land subsidence, and the potential for a large hurricane or Nor'easter over that period...

Flood Zone Maps :: VBgov.com - City of Virginia Beach

I'm sure other cities have something comparable to the above site as well.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 AM

979 posts, read 1,618,597 times
I just bought a house in Virginia Beach recently and was sort of surprised that it is NOT in a flood zone. That said, homeowner's insurance is still nearly double what it was for my previous home (in northern VA) simply because of our proximity to the ocean. Don't let that fool you - we are MILES from the ocean, even as the crow flies - but the insurance is astronomical anyway.

My family has lived in Virginia Beach since, oh...1997? In all that time, they've had maybe one roof repair needed (a few shingles) due to hurricane damage. Nothing major nor frequent. My mother's street flooded once to the point a neighbor literally canoed down the street, but the water didn't reach the houses and didn't remain long.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM

902 posts, read 977,295 times
I was there back in the late 90's when Hurricane Floyd passed through the area. That storm caused LOTS of flooding. Even areas far inland were affected. The streets in downtown Franklin were flooded for days afterward. Also recall parts of I-64 being closed due to flooding from that storm.
Agree with the other posters- research area flood maps, low-lying areas, and historical flood data.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM

178 posts, read 201,912 times
I agree with what everyone has said. I live a block away from the Chesapeake Bay and yet I am higher then areas in Norfolk that will flood with a heavy rain. We tend to get Nor easters more than Hurricanes. Roof shingles and aluminum siding take the brunt of sustained heavy winds. Now having said that, on various trips to areas in the midwest on business over the years, I have been subjected to very heavy winds.
But welcome to the area and if you rent or buy, there are many resources available to you so you can live in an area where you do not have to canoe your way around town when it rains!!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM

94 posts, read 139,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweatherreport View Post

Thank you!
That area is sinking, from what we read. The Navy is concerned about the Norfolk Naval Base and rising waters.
Will the Federal Government pay for improvements? Only time will tell, it's doubtful our state has the insight OR
money to do anything.......until a major disaster happens.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:48 PM

6,102 posts, read 9,387,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I just bought a house in Virginia Beach recently and was sort of surprised that it is NOT in a flood zone. That said, homeowner's insurance is still nearly double what it was for my previous home (in northern VA) simply because of our proximity to the ocean. Don't let that fool you - we are MILES from the ocean, even as the crow flies - but the insurance is astronomical anyway.

My family has lived in Virginia Beach since, oh...1997? In all that time, they've had maybe one roof repair needed (a few shingles) due to hurricane damage. Nothing major nor frequent. My mother's street flooded once to the point a neighbor literally canoed down the street, but the water didn't reach the houses and didn't remain long.
What is yours if you don't mind my asking? Ours is 1338.37 (USAA) and I've often wondered how that compares to other parts of the country. I just checked and I'm 8 miles from the ocean and not in a flood zone. There is a flood zone the next block over though.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 PM

6,102 posts, read 9,387,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Living View Post
That area is sinking, from what we read. The Navy is concerned about the Norfolk Naval Base and rising waters.
Will the Federal Government pay for improvements? Only time will tell, it's doubtful our state has the insight OR
money to do anything.......until a major disaster happens.
Are we sinking or is the ocean rising?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:28 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,419,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Are we sinking or is the ocean rising?
It is both... sea levels are rising and the land in this region is sinking. These are thought to be slow, long-term phenomena but something to consider in the long haul.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1392/pdf/circ1392.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area