Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 23,109 times

Advertisements

I am currently commuting from Virginia Beach (Indian River) to Hampton (Armstead) to work, and the traffic congestion is getting worse and worse. Especially at Hampton Roads bridge and tunnel. It only took me 20 minutes to commute at wintertime, but it took me AN HOUR by average to commute. What makes the matter worse? It is NOT even springtime!!

Hampton appear to be little bit less congested than Norfolk at most of times, I can still use alternative roads to get at very last exit (Mallory) before I can spend another 15 minutes sitting on bridge and tunnel. I am not concerned about this part for now...

Traffic congestion at Norfolk before the bridge is pretty common, but I believe this year is far worst congestion and it seems like Norfolk is not doing anything to fix this problem?? There is not much of alternative roads and you cant use Willoughby exit to jump ahead of the traffic during the rush hour.

So my question is... when will they ever going to build another lanes on the highway??? I know it will might take us a decade to build another bridge/tunnel, but is it cheaper to have an expansion 4 lanes on both ways?? It is pretty obvious that traffic problem at I-64 is hurting most cities in Hampton Roads (except for Suffolk and Chesapeake), and expansion the highway will not only help to reduce the congestion but it will also speed up the growth in region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:13 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Why don't people just move closer to where they work instead of crisscrossing all over HR causing more traffic...if they can help it?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:19 PM

I love living in Virginia Beach, and I love my job in Hampton but I dont want to degrade my lifestyle by moving to Hampton

Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 PM

Theres always Newport News, Poquoson, Williamsburg, York County etc...some decent part of Hampton.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
Wait until tourist season hits. That's when the real fun begins.

Frankly, what we're in need of is a third crossing over the Harbor. We've needed one since 1997. They're just now getting around to an environmental study for it- that'll take 3 years.

Moral of the story is that VDOT is braindamaged.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:30 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinebound View Post
I am currently commuting from Virginia Beach (Indian River) to Hampton (Armstead) to work, and the traffic congestion is getting worse and worse. Especially at Hampton Roads bridge and tunnel. It only took me 20 minutes to commute at wintertime, but it took me AN HOUR by average to commute. What makes the matter worse? It is NOT even springtime!!

Hampton appear to be little bit less congested than Norfolk at most of times, I can still use alternative roads to get at very last exit (Mallory) before I can spend another 15 minutes sitting on bridge and tunnel. I am not concerned about this part for now...

Traffic congestion at Norfolk before the bridge is pretty common, but I believe this year is far worst congestion and it seems like Norfolk is not doing anything to fix this problem?? There is not much of alternative roads and you cant use Willoughby exit to jump ahead of the traffic during the rush hour.

So my question is... when will they ever going to build another lanes on the highway??? I know it will might take us a decade to build another bridge/tunnel, but is it cheaper to have an expansion 4 lanes on both ways?? It is pretty obvious that traffic problem at I-64 is hurting most cities in Hampton Roads (except for Suffolk and Chesapeake), and expansion the highway will not only help to reduce the congestion but it will also speed up the growth in region.
You must be hauling ass if you make that drive in 20minutes under any conditions. LOL

There is nothing you can do to avoid the traffic by the tunnel through Norfolk, cutting up the back roads to isn't really any quicker. I've tried every permutation. Best thing you can do is go during off hours if you have flexibility in your schedule. Leave before 630am and come home before 330pm and you are pretty much home free most days.

It'll be a decade before any new crossings are built and at the end of the day it probably won't reduce tunnel traffic that much anyways because some people just have a mental block about slowing down in the tunnel. It is 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out, there is really no reason that the tunnel should be such a choke point but it is... It is just what you have to deal with if you want to live/work on opposite sides of the water unfortunately.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,839 times
Not everyone keeps the same job forever. If someone lives on one side of the tunnel and has to find a new job, that new job may end up being on the other side of the tunnel. Not everyone has a lot of job options to choose from, nor does everyone have the option to just up and move when they change jobs. Life happens.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Theres always Newport News, Poquoson, Williamsburg, York County etc...some decent part of Hampton.
Downtown NN- After living in DC for 8 years, there is no way for me to move back to any places like this.
Oyster Point- Nice and decent, but it is too far from the hub
Deigh- Nah, not really.

Poquoson- I'm 24 and I still like to party hard. This town is out of nowhere and I dont want to start a family yet.

Williamsburg- It is far and too much of old people.

York- C'mon man.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
You must be hauling ass if you make that drive in 20minutes under any conditions. LOL

There is nothing you can do to avoid the traffic by the tunnel through Norfolk, cutting up the back roads to isn't really any quicker. I've tried every permutation. Best thing you can do is go during off hours if you have flexibility in your schedule. Leave before 630am and come home before 330pm and you are pretty much home free most days.

It'll be a decade before any new crossings are built and at the end of the day it probably won't reduce tunnel traffic that much anyways because some people just have a mental block about slowing down in the tunnel. It is 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out, there is really no reason that the tunnel should be such a choke point but it is... It is just what you have to deal with if you want to live/work on opposite sides of the water unfortunately.
If you can get on HOV at morning and get back on HOV again in the afternoon, you can make it under 20 minutes. Just go off at Indian River, then go 80mph all the way to the end and it will take you only 10 minutes. If you're lucky enough, you can go through HRBT within 5 minutes before you reach Mallory Street.

Yup, I learned that from a hard way. I took Granby exit on westbound and go through to 4th Ocean View, I will never go back there again, ever.

I usually leave at 7:45am, it is not as bad as when I used to leave at 8:15am. There is a big difference when school buses, Mail trucks, and garbage trucks come in the house. I usually leave before 3:30, no expectation. HOV is a must for me or Im going to buy me a pack of Marlboros.

Yup, its people who cant drive in the tunnel or going 20mph in the tunnel that is causing the major traffics

Old 04-24-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinebound View Post
Downtown NN- After living in DC for 8 years, there is no way for me to move back to any places like this.
Oyster Point- Nice and decent, but it is too far from the hub
Deigh- Nah, not really.

Poquoson- I'm 24 and I still like to party hard. This town is out of nowhere and I dont want to start a family yet.

Williamsburg- It is far and too much of old people.

York- C'mon man.
You can always drive to parties/clubs whenever and wherever they happen to be. Work, is something you HAVE to do everyday.

Arent there apts in and around Peninsula Town Center and DT Hampton? I thought Oyster Point/Port Warwick was supposed to be some kinda hub...atleast enough to hold you until Thurs- Sat night/Sun?

Then with no kids you could atleast get closer to the Pen by living in Bay View/OV area and have first dibs getting TO work...getting back is another story.

In any event, like UH said, that's just the price youll have to pay for living on one side of the water and working on another. I wonder how many people would continue this practice if they did Hampton/Peninsula the same way they did Portsmouth with tolls.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 04-24-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area