Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:23 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, why is Chesapeake being considered for future light rail service and not Portsmouth? Doesn't anyone think there would be more ridership if the Tide were to serve Portsmouth instead?

After all, Chesapeake has the lowest bus ridership of any city served by HRT besides Williamsburg and its surrounding counties. Portsmouth, on the other hand, has significantly higher ridership than Chesapeake (almost as high as Virginia Beach) despite its lower population.

So, why would Chesapeake be considered for light rail but not Portsmouth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

Elizabeth River Tunnels.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times
Quote:
I was wondering, why is Chesapeake being considered for future light rail service and not Portsmouth? Doesn't anyone think there would be more ridership if the Tide were to serve Portsmouth instead?

After all, Chesapeake has the lowest bus ridership of any city served by HRT besides Williamsburg and its surrounding counties. Portsmouth, on the other hand, has significantly higher ridership than Chesapeake (almost as high as Virginia Beach) despite its lower population.

Because the dumazz ex-governor who should be in jail, made a deal with the Elizabeth River Crooks that if any other crossing/tunnel/bridges are built within a certain proximity (basically to Portsmouth)... they would be compensated further for supposed losses to revenue caused by said crossing. This means that in order to get around that, that rail would have to go through Chesapeake in order to get to Portsmouth. This same idiot/crook tried to sell our ports to foreigners...yet people (mainly good ol boys) "feel sorry" for him cause he's such a "good man" and "his heart is in the right place"...he should be in effin jail!!!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:46 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
I agree with all of the above, when they built the new tunnel they should have put a train track through it too...but I'll also add that Chesapeake has more people and money than Portsmouth and it is looking to further develop the Greenbrier area... so that may have something to do with it as well. Chesapeake city council is pushing this from their end.

I can't help but wonder if the area is finally gonna get on board with a regional public transit plan (which I support) just in time for autonomous cars to make it obsolete. I mean honestly, the way HR is laid out a fleet of self-driving vehicles with some sort of algorithm for optimized routing would be far more efficient in getting people places than some kind of fixed train. I agree we need some density for the sake of density, but it does raise an interesting question... studies I have read recently estimate you could reduce the number of vehicles on the road by 75%+ and save everyone tax money if everyone agreed to give up their personal vehicle and just take autonomous cars.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:46 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Because the dumazz ex-governor who should be in jail, made a deal with the Elizabeth River Crooks that if any other crossing/tunnel/bridges are built within a certain proximity (basically to Portsmouth)... they would be compensated further for supposed losses to revenue caused by said crossing. This means that in order to get around that, that rail would have to go through Chesapeake in order to get to Portsmouth. This same idiot/crook tried to sell our ports to foreigners...yet people (mainly good ol boys) "feel sorry" for him cause he's such a "good man" and "his heart is in the right place"...he should be in effin jail!!!
And every single ******* nationwide who thinks he should be in jail should be in jail themselves for life without trial. Our nation would be better off if there was only one party, the Republican Party. The Democratic Party is the cause of 100% of our nation's problems.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
And every single ******* nationwide who thinks he should be in jail should be in jail themselves for life without trial. Our nation would be better off if there was only one party, the Republican Party. The Democratic Party is the cause of 100% of our nation's problems.
LOL this went south real quick. When I said I agree with the above I was just referring to the ERT deal. I really don't know what went on behind the scenes.

But the fact of the matter is that Portsmouth wanted light rail included in the midtown tunnel expansion and it got nixed. Not sure if it was a money issue or what, but it isn't like Portsmouth wasn't trying for rail in there.

Portsmouth sees a light-rail hub at its end of the tunnel | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times
Quote:
I don't care about who is "*******" or "reptard" or "retard" or none of that other bologna. This man had a trial and should be in jail...everyone else would've been in jail. And he should've been given more time on the charges he got. Our nation would be better if spoiled azz good ol boys stop hiding and doing favors for each other while reemin the public...yeah, the "reptards" and the "*******s" wtf.

I don't remember Bush jr being a Democrat...and he sure ran this country in the ground...so I really don't get your whole party favorites argument...especially when Im talkin about a specific item (light rail extension) and why its not going into Portsmouth (McDonnells deal with ERC)
Bang up job Bob McDonnell did with the toll situation though. Kudos to the geniuses that had us paying $20 million a month ($300 million) for a cancelled project (expansion Rt. 460) that not one shovel of dirt has been lifted for. I don't care about who youre affiliated with so please don't argue with me about that nonsense. You asked about the train and I told you. Man was found guilty and has been walking around free before and after appeal. You can talk your American azz off, he should be in jail.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 04-29-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Ah, one of the finest minds Hampton Roads has to offer... exactly why there's so much progress here.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Ah, one of the finest minds Hampton Roads has to offer... exactly why there's so much progress here.

One would think if you are gonna take pot shots at the residents you would at least check to make sure the person is a resident... LOL Condescention is a lot more effective when you are actually correct. Just sayin'

Last edited by UHgrad; 04-30-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post

One would think if you are gonna take pot shots at the residents you would at least check to make sure the person is a resident... LOL Condescention is a lot more effective when you are actually correct. Just sayin'
Quote:
Previous locations:
Virgnia Beach, VA;
Who cares if a person is a past, present, or future resident. If they're posting on this forum they obviously have an interest in the area. I appreciate your concern, though!

PS- S, not T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area