Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:01 AM

14 posts, read 10,812 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about this STEM program in Portsmouth public school for 4-6th graders? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 02:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Portsmouth public schools says it all. They are bad.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Portsmouth public schools says it all. They are bad.
I don't want to go on a rant about this, but maybe developing programs like this is showing that they are at least trying to do better and be better.

We are quick to judge "X is bad because it has always been bad! X is a bad city!" when maybe this is a good program overall and a good thing for P-town public schools and the kids in it, because I do not think they always have to be bad.

I know you are in education yourself, but I am hoping you can see that there can be good, dedicated teachers at "bad" public schools just as well as their can be horrible, lazy teachers at "good" public schools.... and "bad" schools need to start somewhere to improve!

It seems that this program includes goal setting, team work, introduction to computers.... and that there are projects that each student is trying to create (like a powered rocket) and all of the instructors have at least a master's degree. Seems like it could be a neat thing for kids. I hope it helps those kids to develop an interest in something!

Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
I would go with Spazkat9696 on this. There is enough in the news about Portsmouth to realize that this city has major issues. I am pretty certain that Portsmouth schools are actually worse than Newport News. And I would NOT recommend those in NN.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:44 AM

Again - it is not asking about Portsmouth Public Schools, but a particular PROGRAM within Portsmouth Public Schools.

There are a million threads discussing the public school systems of each city. This person didn't say, "I am hoping to send my kids to Portsmouth schools for this program. Is it worth it?" Could be they have a kid starting it and are wondering what it is like for them.

Not every post needs to turn into Portsmouth = BAD, everywhere else = GOOD. If the post asked about Portsmouth Public Schools speficially, then say they're bad.... but understand that even in a bad school system, there can be good things within them!

This particular program includes teachers with at the MINIMUM a master's degree. I would say in that case - it might be a very good program within a system with a larger subset of problems but that doesn't make the program bad.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 AM

Randomlikeme, do you have children in any of the local public school systems?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 AM

Irrelevant, much like assessing the public school system when all that is mentioned is one program in particular.

I am a product of the public education system. I went to a failing public school in Pennsylvania for the foundation of my education, K-9. My dad, sister, and mother-in-law are all teachers or retired teachers. The school was worse than Portsmouth's public schools, comparatively. All of whom have teached in VB, Norfolk, Suffolk. I have pals who teach in Portsmouth, VB, Norfolk, Chesapeake. All of whom are fine educators who truly care about the kids and their careers.

I stand by the statement of no child will be a failure due to their public school system and there is a lot a parent can do to foster the education and intellectual growth of their child. If you would look at the statistics of the school where I spent the majority of my time, I was not expected to succeed when my family moved to Virginia Beach. Guidance counsellors confirmed that by trying to talk me out of courses I wanted to take. I ended up third in my graduating class, which if you would go by where I had most of my education it wouldn't make any sense! I have also graduated from a state college with many Portsmouth graduates and do not feel like they were in any way beneath me due to being Portsmouth grads.

I just choose to believe that a good deal of education comes from parents having an active role in their child's life. I also choose to believe that schools many see as "bad" are not all inherently bad. If someone lives in Portsmouth because it is what they can afford and their kids attend Portsmouth public schools, it doesn't mean they're doomed for failure or that this program might not help them to teach the skills that are not tested on any mandated state tests.

That is ALL. Peace.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Again - it is not asking about Portsmouth Public Schools, but a particular PROGRAM within Portsmouth Public Schools.

There are a million threads discussing the public school systems of each city. This person didn't say, "I am hoping to send my kids to Portsmouth schools for this program. Is it worth it?" Could be they have a kid starting it and are wondering what it is like for them.

Not every post needs to turn into Portsmouth = BAD, everywhere else = GOOD. If the post asked about Portsmouth Public Schools speficially, then say they're bad.... but understand that even in a bad school system, there can be good things within them!

This particular program includes teachers with at the MINIMUM a master's degree. I would say in that case - it might be a very good program within a system with a larger subset of problems but that doesn't make the program bad.
A lot more goes into a school than teacher. You could have a school of super teachers but if the administration is no good the school will not be successful. You already commented on the importance of parents, but it's more than just parents it's the whole community. If you are in a community where education is not valued you will not value it either. Clearly there exceptions to the rule, but all the ptown students I have met were at least a year behind their same grade peers in other districts despite making As in ptown.

As for this particular program it may be great. The fact remains it is basically a field trip for 4-5 consecutive days a year and wouldn't be enough to offset the overall issues with the public schools in ptown.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:30 AM

I agree with what Spazkat9696 said. At some point, a parent is likely to have to deal with the administration of the school, whether it be a vice-principal, principal or someone in the main office. A school is far more than the teacher in the classroom.

A bad administration typically fails to support not only the students and their parents, but also their own teachers. The effect is felt throughout the system and affects the quality of education.

Randomlikeme, it sounds to me like you do not have any experience dealing with a public school system as a parent.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:08 AM

If someone asks, "How is this program at Maury High?" and you say, "Bad because Norfolk Public Schools are bad." Is that actually answering the question?

It does not matter where my kids go, where your kids go, where anyone else's kids go.

What matters is the question being asked.

Would I choose for my kids to go to said school for the program? No. However, if my kids were already enrolled in the school because that is where I lived and I were trying to get answers on a particular program I wanted more information about and all I get is "X Schools are bad" I would be annoyed. My question wasn't "Are Portsmouth Public Schools bad?" My question was, "How is X program as my child may already be enrolled there anyway?"

We can fight about what is wrong with our public education system in the education forum.

I just assume if someone comes here to ask a question - you answer the actual question. My thought on the program is it could be a good thing for kids who might need to see something tangible as a result of education and it could develop a love of learning in kids where it wasn't previously there. Don't care what school district it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area