U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 11,974 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everyone, I work for a company in the hampton roads area and I am doing research on Grocery Stores. I stumbled upon a couple of threads and discovered the great knowledge of HRs that is in this forum. So i want to ask YOU the people of HR:

Where do you like to get your groceries and why? Is it price? the deals? the variety in selection? Location (is the store close to you)? and if you feel comfortable could u leave ur age and gender?

Thank you, looking forward to hearing from the people of Hampton Roads

Last edited by gjonesdp; 01-21-2008 at 08:38 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,671,218 times
In Williamsburg we shop at:
Wal Mart for certain items mostly non perishables, hate the long lines and atmosphere.
Ukrops for meat and specials, nice store around but prices are high.
Farm Fresh for meat specials and produce/salad bar.
Food Lion/ Bloom meat & specials.
Trader Joes in Newport News for specialty items, wine, etc. Wish it was closer
Costco in Newport News for volume purchases. Wish it was closer.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,378,257 times
I love UKROPS!!! I miss it : ( I lived in Richmond for 20 years and shopped at ukrops.. and now I can't.

for Virginia Beach, we use Harris Teeter and Super Fresh. Super fresh is close and we do like the gas coupons. but Harris Teeter is a little closer to Ukrops in getting fresh produce and specialty items.

shelly

Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,671,218 times
I just started an opinion poll on another thread. You should do another one to ask the other questions.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM

745 posts, read 2,065,021 times
This thread that I started about a month ago may also help: //www.city-data.com/forum/hampt...ton-roads.html

I've settled into going to Food Lion most of the time for a couple reasons. It's the closest store to me, it's actually a very clean, nice store, and the prices are very competitive, especially if you shop for deals. I just went yesterday and going by the receipt, I paid almost $80 and saved $40 in discounts from MVP specials and coupons from the Sunday paper, even though I know some of the non-MVP prices are a little inflated, but usually still no more expensive than Harris Teeter or Farm Fresh. But it works for me. The closest Wal-Mart is a lot further away and I go there sometimes when I need groceries and other things, but it's so much more crowded and like Mr Williamsburg, I hate the atmosphere. But I will rarely get meat from Food Lion and will often go somewhere else for that. Farm Fresh and Harris Teeter are further away, but closer than Wal-Mart, and too expensive for me. There's also a Bottom Dollar that's pretty close, but it's really not any cheaper than Food Lion imo and the selection is much more limited.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 PM

359 posts, read 1,756,941 times
Ukrops in Richmond
Ellwood Thompson in Richmond
The Health Trail in Newport News
Trader Joe's in Newport News
Female

Old 01-26-2008, 12:23 AM

24 posts, read 202,632 times
Default Grocery Stores

I LOVE the Fresh Market in Virginia Beach off of Laskin Road. For organic and health food type products, I really like the Heritage Store down at the Oceanfront. The newer Farm Fresh on Great Neck Road is very nice. When I can do the drive, Trader Joe's in Newport News is wonderful.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,746,922 times
To add to Mr. Williamsburg, the Fresh Market has some of the best meats, fruits and vegetables in Williamsburg.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM

10,426 posts, read 47,135,235 times
This post reminds me of a question I been asking myself since I left Chesapeake 9 years ago.

I want to know if there are 2 specific stores still there:

Harris Teeter but some one mentioned that already so I assume that is there.

How about Hannafords? Is that still there?

They were my 2 favorite stores.

But since Food Lion was so close we shopped there too.

I miss Chesapeake so much.............................

Old 01-27-2008, 12:10 AM

12 posts, read 22,593 times
I been in the area for almost a year and I do my shopping in a variety of places, which are Harris Teeter, Wal-Mart, Trader Joe's, Kroger, Food Lion and Farm Fresh. I go to Wal-Mart (non perishable) and Farm Fresh the most. Trader Joe's is all the way in northern Newport News and I live on the southside so it's pretty far from me. I wish they had one in Norfolk or Virginia Beach. I only go to Wal-Mart due to the prices (they not that low but lower than alot of the other retailers) and selection of merchandise. The atsmophere of Wal-Mart is substandard. I do not like Bottom Dollar because the prices are very similiar to Food Lion and all they did was take all the quality away from Food Lion (which wasn't alot anyway) and made it a low scale store and gives the area it is in a reputation that the people in that area are low end. Harris Teeter and Farm Fresh have the best meats. Trader Joe's have great gourmet items that are priced more reasonably than Whole Foods. I had both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods where I used to be and they are great. Kroger is pretty decent depending on the area it's in and have some good sales. Food Lion is ok depending on the area it's in as well but their meats are not the best. Farm Fresh has pretty good produce, some organic foods, ok bakery and great seafood and meats and the salad bar is decent when they first bring the items out on the bar. After a while, the salad bar looks picked over. I haven't been to the Fresh Market but I will make a trip there. Where is it located? I haven't been to a Bloom because its way out in Great Bridge and Sandbridge areas. I been to the Market at Harbor Heights in Downtown Norfolk and thats kinda nice with very good meats and seafood and chef area.

There is a store I been to called Save-A-Lot and its a low end store with mostly generic brands but the prices are actually much cheaper than other stores. There is one in Norfolk on Little Creek Road, one in Portsmouth, one in Hampton and one in Newport News. It won't impress you with the atsmophere at all but you actually will save money. I needed vanilla wafers and I compared prices with Save-A-Lot, Food Lion, and Wal-Mart. Save-A-Lot had some generic brand you never heard of. Food Lion had the name brand Nilla Wafers for $2.99 and some Murray brand for $2.19. Wal-Mart had Nilla Wafers for $2.50. Save-A-Lot had that generic brand for 99 cents. I was like man thats a better price. It isn't like Bottom Dollar that has no quality but still have the higher prices as Food Lion. With Save-A-Lot, you will actually Save A Lot of money. But again, the atmosphere is not upscale and nice..but you actually save money unlike some of these other stores (Bottom Dollar, Wal-Mart, etc.) where that isn't always the case. I was telling you guys this for those who look for saving money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area