U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,912 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are seriously looking into a relocation to HR from Phoenix, Arizona. We have some friends and family that are familiar with the HR area, but we want to make sure that we're not getting biased information.

I'm originally from San Francisco, CA and my husband is from Jackson Hole, WY. We're young- late 20's/early 30's, we have no children *yet* but maybe in the next 5+ years. We like to do stuff- theatre, wine-tasting, go to brew pubs, musical productions, stroll around downtown and see non "big box" stores. HOWEVER- I don't neccesarily need to live away from the "big box" stores....

I love the city, but I'm fearful of crime and will be home alone often (I have 2 dogs...). I live in the suburbs now- about 45 minute commute and I cannot stand it- I want to live near work and stuff to do. I want a nice home, around the 300-400k price range, I don't need a huge yard- even a condo or townhome would be fine.

So- here's what we've heard so far: Ghent, Larchmont, Freemason, Oceanview (very sketchy in some areas still), VB and Chesapeake. We hear that VB town center is nice- but the rest of the area seems very suburbia-ish. I understand that schools aren't the best in Norfolk, but we'd consider private school at that point in time. We'd be working in Norfolk at Hampton Road/Military Hwy, so we wouldn't want a commute longer than 30 minutes at most.

I like charm- can't wait for more info!
Thanks everyone!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,673,795 times
I think that you guys would like the Ghent or Freemason area of Norfolk. I just moved from a historic part of Ghent but lived there for 7 years and enjoyed living in that area (very charming). We were within walking distance of the mall, museums, Town Point Park, nice restaurants, a concert venue and festivals that occur throughout the year. We are relatively young and no kids yet and it seemed to be a great area. As for schools, there are several private schools that are highly recommended if finances allow. For the price range there are condos that would be perfect but houses might be a little more for that area. You just have to do your research. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,435,892 times
I would also look into Shadowlawn at the beach. I love this neighborhood. You can definately walk to the strip and be in the middle of restaurants and nightclubs, it is developing a real family atmosphere, but a little more individualistic. Lots of stuff going on down there as far as construction from old to renovated to new.. condo's and single houses.

Let me know if you have any questions...

shelly

Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 AM

26 posts, read 112,878 times
If you were to move anywhere in the hampton roads area is would be a 30 to 45 minute commute from city to city depending on the time of day. They have a lot of events at waterside in norfolk (festivals, wine tasting in the summer, and lots to do downtown, Norfolk) Virginia beach is the same way by on the complete opposite side in the oceana area. There are private schools in each city. And if you were looking at working in norfolk, i would suggest living in that city. i have lived in norfolk (oceanview) for almost 15 years and i dont even think about moving... i love it.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM

12 posts, read 46,649 times
There are lots of areas of Norfolk and Va Beach that sounds like you would enjoy. The downtown Norfolk area within walking distance of most attractions. Ghent is "charming". But I would highly recommend Towne Center, Va Beach. It is a short drive to Norfolk without living in it. There are lots of other couples in your age range in that area and it is central to norfolk and the beach strip.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,912 times
Can you tell me more about the Shadowlawn area? How is the crime? Also- KB, how do you feel living in Oceanview? Are you seeing a rebirth happening? What is the vibe like?

Thanks for all your info!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,435,892 times
Cali, Shadowlawn is the southside of the Virginia Beach Strip area. Lots of re-birth going on there. Very close to the strip for easy walking, biking, arts festivals at the beach.. it is a way of life : ) You are right, most of Va. Beach is suburbs.. it was built without a downtown area!! The beach has some of that feeling, but you will put up with tourists in the summer. You can also look at chicks beach (chesapeake beach).

Shelly

Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM

26 posts, read 112,878 times
i love living in ocean view.. in the summer every saturday there are music festivals and in may the "ocean view festival" its almost a legend.. soo much fun.. i have never had a fear in ocean view... people that dont live there are always talking bad about it.. but it has gone a long way-- it is being re-build.. I know everyone has their own opinion.. but it is 10 minutes from the base if that.. virginia beach is always heavy traffic areas.. i know, i used to work there, but now i work in downtown norfolk... so much nicer-- i can actually sleep in.. I admit it used to be kinda rough.. but now we are all like family out there.. if something happens..like a fire or an ambulance outside.. the whole neigborhood is there wondering if it was someone we knew in trouble.. like i said i cant even think of leaving...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area