Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,143 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name Stacey, I'm 18 and will be attending ODU for my freshman year this fall. I have never been to Norfolk before but was wondering what is it like to live there?

Are there cute little sidewalk cafes? Are there dramatic productions being put on every week? Will there be activists and demonstrators marching the streets? Do people swim in the rivers there?

What are the locals like?

I'm nervous about moving so far away So I'm sorry for all the questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 AM

27 posts, read 36,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceySwift View Post
Hi, my name Stacey, I'm 18 and will be attending ODU for my freshman year this fall. I have never been to Norfolk before but was wondering what is it like to live there?

Are there cute little sidewalk cafes? Are there dramatic productions being put on every week? Will there be activists and demonstrators marching the streets? Do people swim in the rivers there?

Quick question...you are attending ODU in the fall but you have never seen the campus or visited Norfolk before you accepted the admission? Just curious...where are you moving in from?

Living in Norfolk has, of course, benefits as well as negatives. Near the ODU campus is Ghent, know as the "Arts" district with coffee shops, art galleries, pubs, bars, and the like which draws many of the college students. Norfolk boasts many arts and cultural perks...I've put some links here for you.

Its a good Southern city, and I don't know where you come from but it is relatively small for a city, with a daytime population of 250,000 total. Most people commute in for work and then head back to the burbs. Lots of restaurants and things to do, but also some less than desirable, and even dangerous areas. You just have to become acclimated to the area and you'll quickly learn the areas that you have no need to be in anyway. Just use common sense and be smart an you will love the area.

Did I mention that its also very close to Virginia Beach and the Chesapeake Bay?

City of Norfolk, Virginia - Official Website
Welcome to Historic Ghent - Ghent Business AssociationGhent Business Association

Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM

I accepted admission because it was the only school that would accept me that has a good oceanography program.

I live in Sherwood, Tn

Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Do people swim in the rivers there?
It certainly isn't likely to be safe or clean to swim in the rivers. There are huge naval bases, and the waters have stinging jellyfish in the summer. Stick to the ocean beaches or a pool.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:05 PM

34 posts, read 37,664 times
Stacey, there are Museums, Botanical Gardens, entertainment places that have a variety of concerts and sports attractions at the Scope. You can visit the Chrysler Museum of Art or take a ride on the Spirit of Norfolk. So many little antique shops to browse around in. Coffee shops galore with featured guest artist. If you like stand up comedy, there are places for that too. I'm sure once you are settled in, you can explore what Norfolk has to offer for you, but I would recommend not venturing alone. Good Luck, ODU is a great college.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 11,231 times
Quote:
I accepted admission because it was the only school that would accept me that has a good oceanography program.

I live in Sherwood, Tn
ODU is a pretty good school that I'd recommend to anyone.

The campus is fairly safe, but some of the neighborhoods around it aren't so much. Generally speaking, you're not going to want to venture too far south of the school (not that there's much to do in that area anyways) unless you're going to continue south until you get to the other side of the train tracks, at which point you'll be in Ghent, the uban-ish, yuppy area that's got a good amount of hang out spots.

Here's a safety map for reference (made by someone else on here) https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...&oe=UTF8&msa=0

If you have a car, Hampton Roads has decent stuff to offer. Public transport sucks though.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:43 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
If you have facebook, try joining a couple of the ODU groups. I am sure there are some. That might give you a better feel of the school itself.

I would also tell ODU students the same thing I would tell people that went to my college in its sleepy little college town - don't walk home alone, drunk, at 2AM. Get a cab, walk in groups, but walking home alone drunk with no wits about you isn't safe anywhere!

Old 07-17-2015, 05:52 PM

Thanks for all the tips! I can't wait to get to Norfolk and meet new people, see operas, plays, live music on a nightly basis, basically living the big city life

We swim in the rivers here in TN which is why I was asking about the rivers in Norfolk and I'm scared of sharks haha

Old 07-17-2015, 06:42 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
The stuff with the sharks on the outer banks (which is nearby) is very unusual. Around here, you really only have to worry about sharks at night. (In fact, that's when you go shark fishing!)

If you go over to Hampton, Newport News, or Yorktown, they have river beaches there. We have more beaches here than we know what to do with.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:16 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:

I don't swim in the rivers. Can't speak for anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area