Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 AM

3,864 posts, read 6,770,222 times

Advertisements

Hello CDers! I tried searching this forum for touristy information on the Williamsburg area but couldn't find much of anything. I was wondering if some of you well educated locals might be able to offer up some ideas.

1) We are still deciding on what hotel to stay in. I am impartial to any brands but would like a few suggestions on good hotels. We don't plan on being in it very long so I was hoping to find some for around $80-$120/night. Cleanliness is most important with location being our second priority. Anyone have any strong recommendations on where to stay? We will have a car as well.

2) What are some good MUST HAVE kind of food places to visit in the area? I do LOVE seafood so I would definitely like to try some local catch kind of restaurant. Mmmm NE clam chowder...

3) Anything you all recommend we should check out? I would like to see Jamestown Settlement. We also would like to see the Berkeley Plantation, is it worth checking out? Along with the college of William and Mary. We are both in our mid twenties. Is there any other things we should see?

Thank you very much in advance! I did a lot of research online but I always find its best to ask locals. If anyone ever has any questions about Chicago don't hesitate to reach out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 02:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,533,616 times
Check out Busch Gardens Williamsburg if you like theme parks. Great fun, and also considered the most beautiful theme park in the world.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Check out Busch Gardens Williamsburg if you like theme parks. Great fun, and also considered the most beautiful theme park in the world.
I just don't know if we will have enough time since typically a theme park is an all-day affair. If we do though I will put this onto the list to consider!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
1) We are still deciding on what hotel to stay in. I am impartial to any brands but would like a few suggestions on good hotels. We don't plan on being in it very long so I was hoping to find some for around $80-$120/night. Cleanliness is most important with location being our second priority. Anyone have any strong recommendations on where to stay? We will have a car as well.
I stayed at the Clarion right near the historic area. It was clean and OK, however, I paid close to $200/night for one person. Your budget is the "bottom of the barrel", especially if you are bringing kids. (You might try Priceline for finding your rate, then check the reviews on some other site.)

The Second Street Bistro is a great place for food. I had their crab taco small plate, and it was delicious. Their bread with olive oil is great also, but save room for the food. (BTW, New England Clam Chowder is not local seafood, so don't expect much. Stick to shrimp, crabs, and fish.)

If you are visiting Colonial Williamsburg, I suggest leaving the car in the visitor center parking lot. They have shuttle buses thay circulate around the historic area, and you can get off and on as you wish. The Museum was the highlight for me: it has magnificent furniture. BTW, most of the shops and indoor work-places have air-coditioning.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:06 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I stayed at the Clarion right near the historic area. It was clean and OK, however, I paid close to $200/night for one person.
Sorry, about the mis-information. I stayed at the Clarion for $99 per night, booking through Orbitz. It was clean and decent, but the restaurant was nothing special.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I stayed at the Clarion right near the historic area. It was clean and OK, however, I paid close to $200/night for one person. Your budget is the "bottom of the barrel", especially if you are bringing kids. (You might try Priceline for finding your rate, then check the reviews on some other site.)

The Second Street Bistro is a great place for food. I had their crab taco small plate, and it was delicious. Their bread with olive oil is great also, but save room for the food. (BTW, New England Clam Chowder is not local seafood, so don't expect much. Stick to shrimp, crabs, and fish.)

If you are visiting Colonial Williamsburg, I suggest leaving the car in the visitor center parking lot. They have shuttle buses thay circulate around the historic area, and you can get off and on as you wish. The Museum was the highlight for me: it has magnificent furniture. BTW, most of the shops and indoor work-places have air-coditioning.
Quote:
Sorry, about the mis-information. I stayed at the Clarion for $99 per night, booking through Orbitz. It was clean and decent, but the restaurant was nothing special.
Good info! Thank you Goldenage1! I get a discount on hotels through work too, so I imagine I could probably get that place for pretty cheap.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:02 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,114,059 times
1) Unfortunately, since we lived in the area, I'm not as knowledgeable about the hotels.

2) Cheese Shop for lunch (in Market Square on the west end of the historic area); Captain George's is pricey for a seafood buffet, but a local "staple"; Find the Kmart plaza and go to the Chinese Buffet there---one of the best I've ever been to! I'm not sure if there is a Plaza Azteca in Williamsburg, but you'll find one in Newport News (really good Mexican).

3) You don't mention Colonial Williamsburg at all, which is a bit more encompassing than Jamestown, and will take a bit longer. Jamestown can be done in a day or so, as can Yorktown (although you might get Yorktown done in a half day). CW could take several days depending on your interests. However, it is FREE to walk around the historic area and get a feel for things. Pick up a schedule of daily activities and ask costumed interpreters about different programs and special offerings (night programs, carriage rides, etc). I used to work at CW and can offer some advice if you want as well.

Depending on your preference for rides and wait times, you can Busch Gardens in a day or less. We would often just go for an evening.

What is your preference about other museums? The Air and Space Center in Hampton is cool, as is the Mariners Museum in Newport News (both can be done in a day).

Hope that helps some!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:45 PM

19 posts, read 25,128 times
1) There are a lot of hotel choices in the area. You should be able to find something in your price range that is a brand name.

2)The Seafare has good seafood as well, it's a local place. Aberdeen Barn is also decent (steak and seafood). Like above poster, Second Street is really good. If you want to eat in one of the colonial taverns in CW, I recommend Kings Arms for lunch, get the Norfolk Pottage Pye.

3) Jamestown and Yorktown can be done in a day together. CW takes as many days as you want it. There is a local winery in Williamsburg (Williamsburg Winery), as well as a Brewery (Alewerks) , maybe even two now. Both do tours and tastings.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:59 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,958,475 times
Try the newly opened Fat Tuna for seafood. Be wary of low priced hotels. There are a few that should have closed years ago. Expect to pay $100+ for a nicer hotel. Holiday Hotel and Suites on the bypass, Hilton Garden Inn on Richmond Rd are nice. Sals Pizza, For Breakfast: Honey Butters Kitchen, Five Forks Cafe, are some of my favorite places to eat.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 25,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
Try the newly opened Fat Tuna for seafood. Be wary of low priced hotels. There are a few that should have closed years ago. Expect to pay $100+ for a nicer hotel. Holiday Hotel and Suites on the bypass, Hilton Garden Inn on Richmond Rd are nice. Sals Pizza, For Breakfast: Honey Butters Kitchen, Five Forks Cafe, are some of my favorite places to eat.
I second Honey Butters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area