Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2006, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 18,602 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Virginia Beach from Long Beach, CA.
My husband's sister lives in Yorktown. We went there a couple of years ago and I didn't like it at all !!
I thought maybe the Virginia Beach area would be more lively....
Any suggestions on where to look for a nice place for rent in the $800 would be appreciated, also my husband works for Toyota and will be looking for a car dealership in the same area to work in sales. How is the car business overthere ?
Is that true that you can buy a nice 3 bed home in a good area for around
$ 250000 ? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 09:16 PM

73 posts, read 474,835 times
You can buy a 3-bedroom home in a working-class (i.e. safe, but not NICE nice) neighborhood for $250,000. For example, I feel safe inside my house at night, but I would not go on a nighttime walk in my neighborhood. Daytime is a different story -- I feel totally safe walking around. And my house is a 2-bedroom, 1 1/2 bath detached house in a working class neighborhood, and I'm fairly positive I could sell it now for $225,000 or $230,000. Most of the houses around me are 3-bedroom attached houses, going for about $250,000.

As for rent -- you'll have much better options if you increase your budget to $900-$1000 a month. I can tell you to stay away from the Newtown Road section. I don't really like the Aragona area either, which is close to Newtown. Some sections of the Oceanfront are sketchy, but it's getting better. The city is investing a lot of money in cleaning up that area. I haven't rented in so long that I don't think I can give you good advice on where to go; just advice on where not to go!

Lots of car dealerships here; I think that your husband will be fine in that regard. Yorktown and Va. Beach are very different, so the Beach could be more your style. Definitely visit before making a move!

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 PM

Thanks a lot for your input ! Yes it seems that renting is expensive compare to real estate prices...Now I just spoke with someone who told me that Virginia Beach was really boring and that Richmond
would be a lot better or even North Carolina .... I don't know !!!
You are right the best is to visit first ... How long have you live in that area ?
Thanks again !
Sylvie

Old 10-29-2006, 03:30 AM

6 posts, read 58,161 times
Yeah, $800 for rent really depends on how many bedrooms you are looking for-if it is a one bedroom, you should be fine. You might also look into Chesapeake which is right next door, especially in the Greenbriar section. We loved living there and the Ocean Front is only about 20 minutes away. We currently live in the Salem area in VA Beach-the spanse of the city is huge. I agree-stay away from the Newtown Rd. area. There is actually alot to do in VA Beach- if you have the money to do it. As for NC, anywhere close to this area is pretty country (meaning not much to do). We are currently moving from VA Beach-too expensive, not enough perks for us- but other people love it! Good luck to you!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 AM

Thanks Bumkin ! It seems to me after reading a lot of posts that VB is a big city but so sprayed out with rural areas that it does not have a feel of a city.
Is that true? It doesn't really matter if there is not much to do but I am looking for a place where you can walk among shops ,restaurants, just hanging out, also where you can groceries shopping without driving for 1/2 hr, where there is a decent mall . We are moving from CA because it's too expensive...no way you can afford real estate right now.
Can I ask you where you are moving too ?
Thanks again and good luck to you too !

Old 11-04-2006, 02:30 PM

73 posts, read 474,835 times
Default Two areas to try

Take a look at the Town Center area of Va. Beach -- which is very new. Va. Beach spread out and then realized that it forgot to build a downtown so that's what it's doing now. Doing a good job too; the place looks really nice and has a great feel to it. Restaurants, shops, etc, within walking distance. They're building a performing arts center now. There is an apartment complex just behind it, but I don't recall the name of it. No idea how much they'd charge in rent. Also there are new apartments/condos that were just built, and more going up. I'm pretty sure they're going to cost a fortune, but who knows, maybe the studios/1-bedrooms would be in your price range.

Also, if you're not set on Va. Beach, you definitely should try the Ghent area of Norfolk, or the downtown area. There are apartments there in the $800 range, and there's lots to do within walking distance. Ghent is a historic area and very friendly. Definitely check that out if you're willing to be about 30 minutes from the ocean!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:27 PM

Thanks Ryleigh, I really appreciate your feedback.
I am not really set on VB, but I will check out the downtown area.
Also Ghent and Greenbriar area of Norfolk seem like good areas. What's the downtown area of Norfolk like? Here in CA when we say downtown it's usually a bad area with gangs ....! Does anyone know of a nice complex for rentals not too big . I would like something on the quiet side.... and I've been reading the apartments ratings on google but it's difficult to figure it out since most people are complaining on that site....!!
Also another thing could you recommend a good hairstylist who is great at cutting women's hair ( shorter style ). Here it's very difficult to find a good one ... I've been with mine for almost 15 years now anf I wish he would move to VB also !!!

Old 11-10-2006, 04:17 PM

19 posts, read 74,342 times
sylvie,

let me know how you like it! i am in the LBC now too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area