Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:35 PM

17 posts, read 31,952 times

Advertisements

What do you mean how? There's more than one house on that street. My parents just so happened to live on the same street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:39 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
Despite the fact that Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain didn't meet until 1990?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:46 PM

17 posts, read 31,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I was born in 82, lived on that street until college, my parents still live in that house.....

Old 08-03-2015, 03:27 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
it is funny how one incident becomes "anyone" LOL I am still convinced that thread was fake... and it had nothing to do with them not liking it here.
There are other incidents.

OP, I hope things work out well for you, your family and your nanny.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeGirl1982 View Post
UHgrad, yes I do have a lot of anxiety issues, especially with this move. And yes, you're right, I should be thinking more positively regarding this. I guess I would say that I am looking forward to living so close to a nice beach. Do they have concerts on the beach? Any sort of grunge scene there? I'm hoping to find a band I can jam with it once I get there.

I booked a red eye flight for tomorrow night to Norfolk, I'm going to stay for about a week to check out the area. I'm actually connecting through Atlanta so it will be my first time in the "south". Does that count? haha
There are plenty of musicians, probably not a grunge scene though... are there still grunge scenes in cities I thought that was more of a 90's thing?

There is always music at the beach in the summer:

Entertainment on BeachStreetUSA | Beach Street USA

lots of restaurants and bars have live music both at the beach and in norfolk:

Music Calendars | Murphy's Grand Irish Pubs

https://www.facebook.com/DocTaylorsS...app_2344061033

Events

https://www.facebook.com/TheBarrelRoomNorfolk

Events for August 2015 | O’Connor Brewing Company

Plus there are a few nice bigger venues for concerts and stuff:

Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach | Latest Events and Tickets

The NorVa - Norfolk, VA :: Home

nTelos Wireless Pavilion | Concerts on the Water | Hampton Roads, VA | Portsmouth, VA | Pavilion

I'm too old too be going to concerts all the time these days but those are a few of my spots. You sound more like a Norfolk person than a VB person but they are almost like 1 big city anyways being so close together. Unless you are driving at rush hour you can get from one to the other pretty quickly. Like I said before, Kempsville is about a 15 minute drive to downtown Norfolk or you can park in Arrowhead and take the light rail in to the city. It is a nice place to live with plenty to do... it may not be as fun for you as Seattle but you should be fine.

It is interesting your perception of the "south"... I guess it supports the idea that the media unfairly portrays southern people in a negative light. Not surprising given the Northern and Hollywood bias. Atlanta, where you are flying through is an Alpha class global city

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

...and this is a metro of 1.6 million people not some backwoods town somewhere. You may or may not like it here, I really can't say... but you are not being dropped into "deliverance" or something.

Last edited by UHgrad; 08-03-2015 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 05:50 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Does it really matter? I mean yeah, it was kind of weird for her to drop a name like that in the original post, but at the end of the day who cares if she knows someone famous or not... I went to school with some professional athletes from around here, so what?

If Courtney Love had allegedly told here that VB was full of walkable urban neighborhoods, palm trees, amazing shopping, and a wide array of vegetarian dining options using locally sourced ingredients... then I might be a little suspect. But her knowing Courtney Love (or not) is in no way relevant to the thread.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:18 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
Just makes me a little suspicious is all. I don't particularly care one way or another.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
So how's your visit going?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So how's your visit going?
Maybe she's in shock, lol. I sure hope she didn't try to drive in VB. Hoping she'll come back and tell us of her experiences.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:17 PM

27 posts, read 36,262 times
Ummm...any updates? How was the visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area