Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 07:07 PM

62 posts, read 233,806 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been gone for almost 7 years and we are moving back this summer!!! I can't wait!!

I grew up in VB; Birdneck and Great Neck, but now we're going to be in Norfolk to avoid commuting. We're looking in Ghent, Lakewood and Lafayette Shores.

Can anyone give me information on those areas that might make a difference? For instance, does the lafayette river flood and close streets and/ or bridges between the willow wood bridge and Sentara? Do neighborhood streets in Lakewood flood during a nor'easter? Which parts of Ghent will flood?

I know that hurricanes can cause extreme flooding, I'm wondering about the once or twice a year storms that dump a ton of water. We just don't want to buy a house and find out later that it's going to be underwater a few times a year.

I have looked at a FEMA map, which pretty much shows ALL of Norfolk and most of VB in a flood zone. I'm looking for first hand knowledge of which areas are least risky. You know my realtor will say everywhere is "fine".

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 06:15 PM

12 posts, read 47,931 times
Default flooding

Yes, Norfolk Still floods during heavy rain storms and hurricanes. We haven't had too many this season yet. The worst areas are under the railroad underpasses on colley and hamptpn blvd. and the downtown area. Hampton blvd near ODU to Naval Base is bad too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area