Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,074 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is planning to do the Virginia Beach Farmers Market on the Dam Neck Rd, we are looking for a rental in that location as we will be in that area 2 weeks every month.

Any information you can provide is appreciated.

Thank you,

Diane
The Sugarmill Farm
sugarmillfarm.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 49,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsman View Post
Talk about close minded. You stereotype people like there is no tommorrow. I see how progressive you are by stereotyping anybody that doesn't agree with your narrow minded way of thinking. There are plenty of democrats who are very religious. You have no independent thoughts as your tolerance level is very low to someone who believes in god. You rip on military men. Yes your a typical closed minded liberal who believes that your way of thinking is the only right way. The military in Virginia beach is a plus where as the crack addicts and welfare liberals have brought the crime rate way up. The more progressive its gotten here the more the crime rate has risen.Thanks to the military for fighting for a great cause and zero terror attacks in the usa since you have been in Iraq.
Wow, I am definetly changed my mind on moving to VB.....

Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM

77 posts, read 414,220 times
Well Mark and Lisa looks like we will make the switch. My fiance lives in Flint and it looks like I may move up, but not in Flint . She can not come down for another two years. I have been to Michigan many, many times and am going back for a visit in 3 weeks. If I had to compare the two, Va. Beach at this time would win out. It's kind of hard to compare a city with a state. The real estate is insane here. What you can get in Michigan for 125,00 will cost you around 225,000 here. So Michigan wins on that note. But on the whole the economy is much better here, yes we are a little behind in the income situation, but there has to be some kind of trade off and it is getting better. Traffic here is not great but not the worst, you can get around just fine and on occasion will find yourself sitting in traffic trying to get through one of the tunnels on a hot Friday. IT HAPPENS. Folks say crime is on the way up.....from what....it's still low compared to other regional areas of the same size. Conservative.....yes and no. I mean where else in the world do you have Pat Robertsons HQ CBN and the HQ of Edgar Cayce who is most likely up there in the followers of New Age, Mysticism, etc. The resort area is pretty much divided up in to two parts, the resort strip, full of hotels, bars, and many fun things to do, and the residential area which is where most of the local beach lovers go, that would be me The resort strip can be a little crazy at night with the young folks, but there is a large police prescence on most given nights. We have some of the best public schools in the country and an occasional bad one, we are not perfect. Humid....this is the south, but no where near as bad as Florida, or other "deep" south states. But don't just think of Va. Beach this area is better known regionally as Hampton Roads comprised of Suffolk, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Va. Beach, Porstmouth, Newport News and Williamsburg, they just seem to seamlessly all blend as you drive along, but each has it's own personality. Va. Beach population wise is the biggest about 500,000 give or take a few. My opinion is stated in general terms, posters will nit pic, I am guilty of it myself. But I have raised two kids here, my son is your typical surfer boy, went to Cox High School which some consider a snobby school, but for some reason it's the best academic school......would love to do a study on that He has friends who have million dollar homes and they love coming to my little humble apartment and his mothers. My daughter has done well and her story is the same, except the surfer part. So all and all, it's really pretty good here. I mean consider the choices of other areas, this place is pretty good. Good Luck.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Lisa View Post
Ok heres what i have to say........ My wife and I are from michigan I applied over the internet to a company ther in VA beach named STIHL, they make chainsaws. So to make a long story short, they flew me and my wife out and paid for the weekend 3 days that was so I could interview on a friday, and offered me a position there with relocation money and a decent starting wage. Does anyone have any insight on this company, and is it worth the move? I love the ocean and grew up in the mialtary so I am acustomed to the milatary surroundings. My only problem is here in michigan our economy has taken a serious hit and I own a home here and dont know what to do.......SOMEBODY GIVE ME SOME INSITE ON VA BEACH......goood move or bad move with this company??????????
I have lived here in Va Bch for 14 yrs now and If I had my choice I'd be gone tommorow. The crime here has gotten way out of hand and must be careful at all times. The area is pretty and nice to be near the ocean but the trade of is to great. The traffic is BAD! rush hour could be stop & go for up to an hour, people are not that friendly anymore and Real Estate has sky rocketed.
We did o.k., we got in before the housing boom - I think it's on it's way down again. But ,,, your looking at atleast 280K for an average home here.
I am familar w/Stihl,, it's somewhat near my home. Anyways,, have heard good & bad. I know they have a high turnover. Also, make sure your job is perm.. I hear a lot of people get hired on as a temp worker and then when probation is up they let them go.
Do some research,, our local paper Va pilot. Check on crime stats and housing prices.
I hope I didn't burst your bubble but just gave you my honest opinion.
Good luck on your decision.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Default Think Twice!

bellydance2290

Some food for thought.

Housing: Think twice about moving to Virginia Beach ( VB ) because it ain't what it used to be. My wife & I recently moved from VB to Grand Junction, Colorado after 16 years in VB. When we originally moved to VB in 1990 housing was very affordable compared to the national average. That was one of the main reasons for moving there. Back then we bought a 1300 sq ft house in Great Neck which tripled in value during the next 15 years. Fortunately we sold it about a year ago before the market softened so we were able to get top dollar. The housing issue worked out very well for us. We bought a much nicer house in Grand Junction, in a much nicer neighborhood for LESS than the selling price of our VB home. Thank You VB!

Low paying jobs: Although housing costs are now above the national average, wages still lag behind. Strike 1!

Traffic: Gets worse and worse each year. IF a mandatory evacuation were to be required, I can see no way that everyone would be able to get out of there. The transportation infrastructure is so poorly designed that thousands upon thousands of residents would be trapped.
Strike 2!

Hurricanes: If/When a major hurricane was to strike VB it would be a nightmare. A few years ago, a very weak Category I hurricane came through the area and wreaked havoc. Hurricane Isabel was so mild that we rode out the entire storm with our front door open, listening to the howling wind without a drop of rain coming in through the front door. Even this mild storm knocked out power in the Great Neck area ( one of the more desirable parts of town ) for 10 days. Fortunately we experienced no damage to our home....just 2 or 3 days work cutting up branches and raking up the mess. A bigger concern than the wind is the water. Fortunately this storm dumped very little rain. Nonetheless certain parts of town were flooded. If a more typical, really heavy downpour associated with hurricanes were to occur, there would be widespread flooding in Virginia Beach. Strike 3!

Homeland Security: With the heavy military concentration in the Hampton Roads area, the many underwater tunnels & bridges in the main transportation arteries, one of the biggest cargo ports on the eastern seaboard, one would expect the area to be a major target of those who would do us harm. You're Out!

These are just a few of the reason we decided to get out of VB and move to greener, safer pastures.

With all this said...if you reeally want to live in VB, I wish you well and I hope that everything works out for you like it did for my wife and I. We had some very good years in VB.

Many Blessings....Franco

Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,630 times
Default Best place to raise a family

I've lived in Virginia Beach for 20 years (In Chesapeake now to be closer to work) and have to say it's the BEST place to live and raise a family. I saw the other posts about people complaining about crime. What crime?!? If you live in the projects you WILL see a lot of crime, but check the FBI statistics - the numbers don't lie. I believe Va Beach has been rated the SAFEST city of its size by the FBI numerous times in the recent past. Last number I saw was 79th safest city (regardless of size) in the whole nation of about 300 cities rated.

If you're raising a family, go to child.com (here's the link) Buying a Home: The 10 Best Cities for Families where a few years ago they rated the top 10 cities for families. Guess where Hampton Roads (Norfolk, VA Beach, Newport News) rated??? Number 2!!!! Also, schools are great and there are traffic jams here but not like other major cities.

Also I've been to a lot of beaches and yes, there are nicer beaches than Va. Beach, but I have not seen a nicer boardwalk anywhere. Va. Beach has poured millions into revamping their Boardwalk and Atlantic Ave. and I can't say there is anyplace nicer.

If you're looking for high paying jobs - they're here and growing. Northrop Grumman, NASA, Joint Forces Command are in town.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:59 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
Gladly. If I could ever save up enough money in this dump to move, I wouldnt hesitate for a second. Unfortunatley, my pittance wage hardly covers my basic neccesseties.
Then perhaps you should make yourself more marketable, it's called education/training/experience and you are never too old to start.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
bellydance2290

Before moving to Virginia Beach see my post near the bottom of page 4 on this thread:

Thinking of moving to VA Beach area ( 1 2 3 4)

blessings...NewAgeRedneck

Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I've lived in Virginia Beach for 20 years (In Chesapeake now to be closer to work) and have to say it's the BEST place to live and raise a family. I saw the other posts about people complaining about crime. What crime?!? If you live in the projects you WILL see a lot of crime, but check the FBI statistics - the numbers don't lie. I believe Va Beach has been rated the SAFEST city of its size by the FBI numerous times in the recent past. Last number I saw was 79th safest city (regardless of size) in the whole nation of about 300 cities rated.

If you're raising a family, go to child.com (here's the link) Buying a Home: The 10 Best Cities for Families where a few years ago they rated the top 10 cities for families. Guess where Hampton Roads (Norfolk, VA Beach, Newport News) rated??? Number 2!!!! Also, schools are great and there are traffic jams here but not like other major cities.

Also I've been to a lot of beaches and yes, there are nicer beaches than Va. Beach, but I have not seen a nicer boardwalk anywhere. Va. Beach has poured millions into revamping their Boardwalk and Atlantic Ave. and I can't say there is anyplace nicer.

If you're looking for high paying jobs - they're here and growing. Northrop Grumman, NASA, Joint Forces Command are in town.
I have to say I totally disagree! Your entitled to your opinion and I'm glad you like it here in Va. Bch.

Don't get me wrong there are many nice places and things to do...... but CRIME in really bad. I don't care what the numbers say, when you turn the
news on , only to hear of murders almost every night ( wheather it be n.n.
Norfolk, Portsmouth) it is a very scary thing! I live by the Courthouse (very nice area) and there was a policeman shot down on Damn Neck (near me) not long ago,, a shooting in a bar on Gen Booth, Loads of child neglect/endagerment cases. That's only the tip of the ice berg. So, if you can say Va Beach is a safe area I would hate to know your impression of a bad area!

Sure, boardwalk is great! Just don't go during tourist season. I wouldn't suggest going to the Boardwalk at night. There was a rape down there not long ago.

Good luck in your decision. We can't wait to move out. I haven't even mentioned the traffic.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:53 PM

16 posts, read 86,764 times
Of all the cities in Hampton Roads, I would chose Virginia Beach to live in. However, that just isn't possible. As one poster put it, "Average Joe" really can't afford to - let alone a single mom. But be that as it may, Virginia Beach is the nicer of the many cities that make up Hampton Roads. Better schools, better housing, better job opportunities, and better neighborhoods - they can all be found in Virginia Beach. That's been my experience. And, closer access to the beaches, if one likes that sort of thing. Don't go in the summer though, it's an exercise in frustration.

However, if I had the means and the opportunity, I would move from this area tomorrow. I dislike it with a passion. There is a lot of crime. The traffic is terrible, and it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet every year - even for educated, experienced people with marketable skills. Rent is through the roof - ridiculously so. Employers in this area just refuse to offer the wages needed to cover the cost of living. So many things factor into this that it's just aggravating to think about.

I have lived in about ten different states, and other than Florida, I'd have to say that southeastern Virginia would be on the top of my list of "Places I Never Want to Live Again"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area