U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
LZ1 LZ1 started this thread

7 posts, read 16,787 times

Advertisements

I am 24...I am looking for a good area to live....I have no idea about this area.

Any areas better for younger people?

I will be working at Fort Eustice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 03:02 PM

22 posts, read 64,024 times
Try the Port Warwick or Oyster Point area of Newport News. There are lots of apartments, new condos and townhomes in the area. You might want to have a roommate depending on your taste and your income. Downtown Hampton is an up and coming area as well. Get on the interstate and you can be in Ft Eustis in about 30 minutes. You might even find the area around the William and Mary campus desirable but I don't know the cost of apartments up there. It is a quiet, historical area. A few of my son's friends live there and they like it. Maybe the commute won't be as crucial as coming to and fro Hampton.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:12 PM

Im fine spending anything in the 700-850 range for a 1bdr apartment...

I found this one earlier...

1 Bed 1 Bath Apartments in Newport News - Windsor Crossing

As for night life in this area? Bars?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:46 PM

22 posts, read 64,024 times
Not far from the newly built Jefferson Commons...there are restaurants, retail stores, coffee shops, and a bar. There is a mall close by as well as the airport. The Fridays is a hot spot...there are other restaurants with bars in that part of Newport News. If you are into fitness, there is a fitness center close by as well. I believe that particular apartment site is closer to the residential side i.e. I don't think you can walk to all the activities but it is a very short drive. There are some family centered housing areas just down the street. This is also not terribly far from Ft. Eustis.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 PM

Thanks....For the info....

If anyone else has any suggestions post up.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:05 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,809,905 times
Oyster Point is your best bet. There are a few bars that are really busy due to CNU (Christopher Newport Univeristy) being right there. Manhatten's, Cheers, and Schooners are all pretty close, plus you can drive down to Hampton before the tunnel and hit Saddle Ridge (big hot spot for 21 and up). Oyster Point has been built/rebuilt/refurbished and it is looking really nice. You can find everything you need right in this little area or a shrot drive away. Stay away from living in the Ft. Eustice area if at all possible. It is not as nice as Oyster Point. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Thanks..I have the ones I found online narrowed down...I will post them up later

Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Spring House At Newport News

Any thoughts on this area?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 15,985 times
Default do you have to come here? i wouldnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ1 View Post
Spring House At Newport News

Any thoughts on this area?
I looked at these apts and wasn't all that impressed, but a co-worker lives there and raves about it. There are a ton of rentals around here, both in complexes and houses. Check with local realtors too, they often have lists of available rentals. That's how I found the place I'm in now. Its pretty easy to get to Ft Eustis from just about anywhere on the peninsula.

I personally can't stand Newport News, and am on my way back to Buffalo just as soon as I can make it happen. Came to Va beach 4 years ago next month for a now defunct-rship, and moved to nn last year. There is no comparison. Hampton Roads has its benefits, beach, weather, etc, but the congestion and traffic are such a drag. How many more strip malls do we need! Plus, unless you're at the beach, there's nothing to LOOK at - it's flat and ugly here with no hills and tons of pine trees. Hope it works out better for you.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,809,905 times
I mapquested this complex. It is very close to the interstate and closer to Fort Eustice than I would want to live. I will look online but there are a ton of apt. complexes closer to the CNU end of Newport News and those seem to be pretty safe since it's mainly college kids. Or, you can look towards Yorktown-Grafton Station is where my husband lived before we met. He had a very safe apt complex. He lived there for over a year and there were never any break-ins or anything like that. Actually, a lot of families lived there. I just think that this apt is in an area that you would not like. I would get closer to the mall if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>