Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 03:40 PM

88 posts, read 310,280 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Looking to buy a house in Virginia Beach soon. Can anyone tell me what areas are bad, and to stay away from? I only know offhand that Green Run area is bad, but that's all I know. By "bad", I mean high crime areas to avoid. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 06:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,860 times
Lake Edwards/Newtown Road north of 264
Bayside
Seatack
Magic Hollow

Old 02-23-2016, 11:11 AM

184 posts, read 244,927 times
Realtors, by law, are not allowed to "steer" people to/from areas, but if you tell us what you are looking for, the folks here might be able to give you areas where you could look.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
I would probably avoid anything that feeds into Green Run High or Bayside High. Even if you don't have kids, I think of it in terms of resale value. Most people are looking to avoid those schools, so it will be tougher to resell eventually.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:28 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
In the past that was true but Twin Canal feeds into Landstown. Also not all of the Green Run or Bayside districts are bad. Depending on where you are from there are no truely bad areas in VAB. There are bad areas based of our expectations. I would avoid the are north of 264 near Norfolk and a few pockets here and there such as twin canal.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
In the past that was true but Twin Canal feeds into Landstown. Also not all of the Green Run or Bayside districts are bad. Depending on where you are from there are no truely bad areas in VAB. There are bad areas based of our expectations. I would avoid the are north of 264 near Norfolk and a few pockets here and there such as twin canal.
All of Bayside or Green Run aren't bad, but I was stating typically - I would avoid it since it would seem harder to resell later. In the past, people seem to not want their children attending the schools in those areas and because that is one of the primary things people focus on when buying a new home. First, safety, Second, public schools.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 AM

210 posts, read 416,970 times
The College Park section of Virginia Beach is an area I'd probably avoid.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 AM

102 posts, read 179,484 times
The two "worst" areas of Virginia Beach in my opinion are Twin Canal off Indepedence and Magic Hollow off Holland near Lynnhaven Parkway. Green Run as a whole isn't the nicest but it isn't terrible. I was born and raised in the area...the hate is overblown. I have literally read comments where people say they wouldn't even drive through Green Run at night, major eye roll worthy! Virginia Beach doesn't have any bad bad areas in my opinion if you are used to bad areas of major cities or even some of the worse areas of other Hampton Roads cities. The areas considered bad are usually filled with majority rental property (including section 8) or apartment complexes. Some like Twin Canal I believe are subsidized housing. So yes these areas are often given a bad wrap due to wealth and race disaparities. Sometimes justly...but usually unjustly and completely exaggerated.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 35,695 times
DONT BELIVE THE HYPE!!! Now virginia beach one of the safest citys in the 757 but like everytown it has its problems. Now virginia beach is definitly like norfolk, newport news, and portsmouth.( those citys are horrible entirely. But the top places to stay away from is a couple. The notorious green run is hyped up alot. The neighborhoods to avoid is pecan gardens (high gang of bloods rate), scarbrough square (high gang of bloods rate) magic hallow (ghetto but is WAY safer then it use to be) and green lakes (quiet but ghetto). There are some good suburban neighborhoods in green run though. Now bayside. AVOID LAKE EDWARDS!!! Most of the citys shootings take place there. And is a very high gang area of town (bloods, crips, and latin kings. Northridge and bayside arms are also places to avoid. Seatack and N birdneck RD AVOID ATLANTIS AND FRIENDSHIP VILLAGE!!! This part of town is VERY high gang related. From home grown gangs such as the notorious "get em mob"to bloods, crips, latin kings, black dicsiples, and gangster dicsiples. I lived in birdneck village for 2 years and everytime i crossed the highway all you see is a boarded up gas station, ghetto car wash, rims shop, drug addicts, homeless people, police everywhere, and active gang members, i seen fist fights and shootings in the subway parking lot to open drug deals and swat teams entering the section 8 neighborhoods.STAY AWAY. And the emerald point and washington square is very gang populated and drug bound. Emerald point is not far from birdneck. Now the best places to live are the kellam area, upper cox area, sandbridge. And the best by far is ocean lakes, the best highschool in the city is ocean lakes high, though cox high and kellam high have a drug problem. Though those schools have the best rep, sports teams, and rarely sees fights. Stay away from bayside high, green run high, and first coloniel high. There okay schools as long as you stay away from the hoodlums and stay away from the endless number of fights. P.S bayside has a rep for fights. Virginia beach is a great city. Just stay away from newport news, norfolk, portsmouth, and richmond. They have some of the highest murder rates in the country

Old 05-26-2017, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 35,695 times
My bad i meant definitly NOT like norfolk, portsmouth, and newport news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area