U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:49 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,274,181 times

Advertisements

ADP announces plans to bring 1,800 new jobs to Norfolk &middot Industries | Virginia Business
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 06:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,408,951 times
More here, http://pilotonline.com/business/jobs...3778c05b0.html

I'm glad to see another customer service center opening in Hampton Roads, it's just what the region needs to keep educated individuals here!

And the pay, thank goodness they're also high paying jobs! 1750 of the 1800 jobs will be an average pay of $36,000 a year, and the remaining 50 jobs will average $50,700! Wowzers!!

And thank goodness they did all this without government support, concessions, and grants! I'm so glad we didn't pay millions to get them here!

This is wonderful news!!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,071,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
high paying jobs!
$36,000 a year
Was this supposed to be sarcastic?

The sad thing is, I really can't tell.

$36k/year is nowhere near "high paying". Hell, neither is 50k.

Then again, it is Hampton Roads, and the sentiment seems to be anything a dollar over minimum wage is high paying.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:25 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,177,083 times
If it is 36K a year to work in a call center, I would call that "high paying" since the average call center wage is like $25K-$29K a year since those people are so easily replaced.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,408,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Was this supposed to be sarcastic?

The sad thing is, I really can't tell.

$36k/year is nowhere near "high paying". Hell, neither is 50k.

Then again, it is Hampton Roads, and the sentiment seems to be anything a dollar over minimum wage is high paying.
Oh no, I really think it's wonderful.

The ticket to growth and prosperity for this region is another call center. When college graduates get wind this is opening up, they'll be drawn to Hampton Roads like a magnet! I wouldn't be surprised to even find some Harvard grads coming on down!

Once taxes, health insurance, and retirement are taken out, that should leave them with a good $23 or $24K a year. Once they factor in rent, and I guess at least car insurance (maybe a payment, too. You would think with the light rail mentioned in the article they wouldn't need private transportation. I guess they want to get to a supermarket or something like that. Bunch of complainers. ) that should leave them with around $13,000. Heck, that's over $1000 a month! Well, maybe not with a car payment. In that case I guess it would come down to around $9400. But really, that's almost $800 a month they can use for food, gas, internet, cell phone, and putting money into savings.

This is good money! We're going to see an immediate halt to the brain drain currently going on. Like I said, I foresee this going absolutely wild! Add in the absolutely beautiful "Resort City" of Virginia Beach with miles and miles of at least 17% cigarette-butt free sand, and very welcoming attitude to young people and we've got a winning combination!

Mark my words- this is a game changer for Hampton Roads! We are finally becoming known for something besides the military!!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Mark my words- this is a game changer for Hampton Roads! We are finally becoming known for something besides the military!!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,574,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut1 View Post
oh no, i really think it's wonderful.

the ticket to growth and prosperity for this region is another call center. When college graduates get wind this is opening up, they'll be drawn to hampton roads like a magnet! I wouldn't be surprised to even find some harvard grads coming on down!

Once taxes, health insurance, and retirement are taken out, that should leave them with a good $23 or $24k a year. Once they factor in rent, and i guess at least car insurance (maybe a payment, too. You would think with the light rail mentioned in the article they wouldn't need private transportation. I guess they want to get to a supermarket or something like that. Bunch of complainers. ) that should leave them with around $13,000. Heck, that's over $1000 a month! Well, maybe not with a car payment. In that case i guess it would come down to around $9400. But really, that's almost $800 a month they can use for food, gas, internet, cell phone, and putting money into savings.

This is good money! We're going to see an immediate halt to the brain drain currently going on. Like i said, i foresee this going absolutely wild! Add in the absolutely beautiful "resort city" of virginia beach with miles and miles of at least 17% cigarette-butt free sand, and very welcoming attitude to young people and we've got a winning combination!

Mark my words- this is a game changer for hampton roads! We are finally becoming known for something besides the military!!
Attached Thumbnails
ADP bringing nearly 2000 jobs to Downtown Norfolk-4a7b82fe234ca54638e81f6f7bb19e3f.jpg  

Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 AM

80 posts, read 67,258 times
Is it typical for people to come on this forum and criticize a bunch of new jobs in a down economy? I am new on citydata (and to the area) but it seems kind of odd. I looked at the BLS data for the region, the median hourly wage for civilian workers in 2014 (don't imagine it changed much since then since wages are pretty stagnant lately) was $16.84 an hour or $35,000. So this is an announcement for 1800 (slightly) above median paying jobs in downtown.

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC - May 2014 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

They also offer better benefits than you'll find at most service sector jobs.

Anything that moves the median higher seems like a winner to me. Sure its not google but it is a step up for many. Maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited by vboryork; 03-17-2016 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: don't know why link isn't working

Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboryork View Post
Is it typical for people to come on this forum and criticize a bunch of new jobs in a down economy? I am new on citydata (and to the area) but it seems kind of odd. I looked at the BLS data for the region, the median hourly wage for civilian workers in 2014 (don't imagine it changed much since then since wages are pretty stagnant lately) was $16.84 an hour or $35,000. So this is an announcement for 1800 (slightly) above median paying jobs in downtown.

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC - May 2014 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

They also offer better benefits than you'll find at most service sector jobs.

Anything that moves the median higher seems like a winner to me. Sure its not google but it is a step up for many. Maybe I'm missing something?
You're missing a lot.

The Hampton Roads economy has always been about two things: the military and tourism.

Wages in jobs that are not in these sectors are often laughable.

People have been crying for city leaders to try and attract higher paying industries(like tech) for years. But, the government leadership in the Hampton Roads area is equally laughable.

Anyone who has done business in that part of Virginia knows that it is very difficult due to government red tape and often ridiculous permit policies.

The government(at least in York County where I was) was also very "good old boy" and oppressive. I saw quite a few business fold because they couldn't obtain permits(ie, they weren't 3rd cousins with a member of the board of supervisors, or didn't dump a truckload of cash into one of their driveways).

Businesses just go elsewhere. It's easier. And let's face it, Hampton Roads isn't exactly a highly desirable place to live. High crime, low-paying jobs, horrible traffic due to the tunnels and bridges... the place is just a mess.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:28 PM

979 posts, read 1,574,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vboryork View Post
But it's not really moving the median much higher (if at all, since median and average are two different things). It's essentially just maintaining the status quo. More jobs are fine, but more well-paying jobs would be ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area