Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 PM

553 posts, read 616,323 times

Advertisements

Too bad you can't swap jobs or living places with the poster in the Richmond forum who wants to commute from RVA to ODU.

In all seriousness, as the previous poster suggested, 460 is typically a less stressful route to the Richmond area (the only real concern is crossing the Elizabeth River, and that's not much compared to the HRBT and 64 on the Peninsula), but it's going to be a longer and slower-paced trip (unless your destination in the RVA area is Chesterfield or points south -- then 460 is pretty much the most direct route anyway).

Source: I drive a Virginia Beach to Chester round trip about twice a month. I'm one of the few people who would have benefited from Governor McDonnell's failed 460 bypass toll road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Wait you want to keep your child in a Norfolk school? I'm guessing it's a private school.

BTW there is no way in hell I'd be willing to make that drive.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj62 View Post
It's multiple reasons. I'm military and trying to keep my personal life and my career- very difficult. Next best option is lose my career or send my child away to live elsewhere due to the nature of my job in Richmond and lack of moveable support system. Crappy situation but weighing my options and this is one of them. Only upside is it's only two years, right?!!

Can your child live with your support system through the week and you come home on weekends? It might be a better solution considering you wouldn't see your child through the week anyway with that type of commute.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:17 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Can your child live with your support system through the week and you come home on weekends? It might be a better solution considering you wouldn't see your child through the week anyway with that type of commute.
This is what I was thinking. I had a coworker in NOVA who lived on the peninsula, and he rented a small basement apartment for just himself in NOVA during the week and went home for weekends.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:26 PM

7 posts, read 15,709 times
Thanks everyone, I'll post a update in a few months!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:29 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,728 times
Buy a helicopter or plane !

Old 01-23-2017, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 644 times
Hi, MJ62 - just wondering if you have an update on what you decided to do/how the commute is going. My husband and I moved to Norfolk in August when I landed a new job here that I intend to keep for the long term. He was hoping to transfer to Norfolk (he works for the USPS) but the best he could get was Richmond. He's just received an offer there after months of trying to transfer down here, so he's eager to take it and get back to work. I am concerned about the distance, and wondered how you're faring. It's likely that once he's put a couple years in this region he'll eventually be able to transfer into Norfolk from Richmond, so we are also looking at about 2-3 years of this commute. Any update?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln627 View Post
Hi, MJ62 - just wondering if you have an update on what you decided to do/how the commute is going. My husband and I moved to Norfolk in August when I landed a new job here that I intend to keep for the long term. He was hoping to transfer to Norfolk (he works for the USPS) but the best he could get was Richmond. He's just received an offer there after months of trying to transfer down here, so he's eager to take it and get back to work. I am concerned about the distance, and wondered how you're faring. It's likely that once he's put a couple years in this region he'll eventually be able to transfer into Norfolk from Richmond, so we are also looking at about 2-3 years of this commute. Any update?
He hasn't been on since May 2016. My advice is no way it can't be done.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj62 View Post
I'm being relocated for two years to Downtown Richmond but planning to live in Norfolk and keep my child in school here. I have a support network to help me out with her. It looks like I'll be leaving around 6am to drive to Richmond and leave work around 4:30 or 5 to head back to Norfolk. Has anyone done this? Is it crazy to think about doing this for two years?
What type of masochists continue to post such questions in this forum?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:47 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,053 times
A couple of comments:

1. I would do that commute if I had family, support and everything else that is priceless.
2. I think you can swing it at 6am if you are close to the HRBT, I would even consider 5:45 to avoid the people that start at 6:30 in the military.
3. Do you absolutely have to work 5 days a week. If you are supercommuting one day without travel can do wonders for the stress.
4. Consider 460 in the evenings, you actually may benefit by not having the headache.

I absolutely would not turn down a job opportunity without testing the drive myself. Sure it will be tough but as long as you know what you are getting yourself into, only you can decide what will make you happiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area