Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,880 times

Advertisements

I am taking a new job in Virginia Beach and am not super familiar with the area. I grew up in the Hampton Roads area and know all about the traffic, etc. but I know nothing about where to live in Virginia Beach. I am leaving Richmond which I love. I know I won't find the same thing in that area but I love where I live here. I live right in the middle of Richmond so I am near awesome restaurants, the river, parks, and music venues. I don't have to really deal with traffic and I am close to grocery stores, Target, etc. I would like to find the same convenience. I like to run and walk my dog/hike/and I love the water. Though I am in the city of Richmond, I live in a young family/young professional neighborhood. I'm in my early 30's and the majority of folks hear are in similar age ranges. I would like to spend under $350,000 and hopefully have the same types of conveniences. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I can't really speak of home prices but if you are looking for young professional/young family areas I would look at living in the Hilltop area on Laskin which is pretty upscale and has lots of shopping including chains and lots of individual shops. Traffic can be pretty heavy however especially during the summer tourist months. Interstate access is very good also if you need to get on the highway. The base is relatively close by and not sure how keen you are on jet noise but it's something to consider. Living at the Oceanfront itself is becoming more popular as lots of apartments and condos continue to go up. If you are looking for a true urban experience the Ghent area in Norfolk has a true artistic vibe but the commute to Virginia Beach could be long depending on where your job is and if you are commuting during rush hours. Good luck!

Last edited by citydweller; 03-31-2016 at 10:59 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 AM

184 posts, read 245,116 times
In addition to the suggestions of Citydweller, the Chic's Beach area through the Great Neck corridor by First Landing Park(expanding from Hilltop) as well as the area south of the Naval Air Station Oceana/Dam Neck area. Since you are so close, perhaps you could come down for a weekend and drive the neighborhoods. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2016, 08:02 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
First figure out where your job is in VA Bch as the local surface streets can be as bad or even worse then the interstates so you want to try to travel the opposite direction of the major traffic flow if possible. Second, if you are going to live in VA Bch it's all about living in a neighborhood that is not directly effected by by the jet noise from Oceana. Third it's Va Bch, the strip mall capital of the US so you don't have to worry about not having a place to shop etc as there are grocery stores and strip malls on just about every corner.

The best advice I can give you is spend allot of time in VA Bch before deciding on a place to live. Remember Va Bch is a huge tourist town so what a certain area looks like now can look totally different come this summer (traffic, number of people etc)

Last edited by rtandc; 04-01-2016 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
In addition to the suggestions of Citydweller, the Chic's Beach area through the Great Neck corridor by First Landing Park(expanding from Hilltop) as well as the area south of the Naval Air Station Oceana/Dam Neck area. Since you are so close, perhaps you could come down for a weekend and drive the neighborhoods. Good luck!
Chic's Beach area is really close to some bad parts of Virginia Beach. Unless you've got some cash to afford the really nice parts, I'd avoid that area.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:32 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Chic's Beach area is really close to some bad parts of Virginia Beach. Unless you've got some cash to afford the really nice parts, I'd avoid that area.
OP has a 350K budget where you can find something within that budget in that area. I am thinking that the colorful "tranquility" homes near Commonwealth Brewing Co. can be found in that price range.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Not looking to argue but where are the "bad parts" you are referring to?

Old 04-02-2016, 10:09 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
Not looking to argue but where are the "bad parts" you are referring to?
Bayside, probably.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:41 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Bayside, probably.
Yep, this. And $350k isn't going to go extremely far in Chic's Beach, if at all, unless you get something far away from the water. In that case, it puts you in Bayside or right next to Bayside.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yep, this. And $350k isn't going to go extremely far in Chic's Beach, if at all, unless you get something far away from the water. In that case, it puts you in Bayside or right next to Bayside.
I take your point about Bayside. I think I probably stated what I said as I have had clients who did not want Bayside but were happy with Chic's Beach. They did not view the neighborhoods as that close. I also know that Chic's is a popular area for some young professionals. And as for price, as of this morning there are 16 properties for sale between $250 and $350k from Chic's through the Great Neck/First Landing area as I suggested in my post. I hope the OP will take a few weekends to come from Richmond and drive the area and get a feel for the various neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area