Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:40 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,112,508 times

Advertisements

According to the Census data. VA beach is accelerating in population while Norfolk is decelerating. Norfolk at 1.44 and Va beach at 3.08 rate growth in the past 5 years. VA beach has grown 213.8% more than Norfolk in the past 5 years. Essentially, VA Beach is by default taking over the urban core of the MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:10 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,112,508 times
Where VA Beach stands in 5 year growth rankings via Census data.

Fake Downtown is gonna grow some more-post38.jpg

Old 08-07-2016, 10:05 AM

6,510 posts, read 8,419,426 times
People still aren't getting it. Town Center, is not about having a downtown. It is about creating another urban district within the city. The City has a vision for urban renewal that would eliminate the detached, single house aesthetic of the city by 2040 in the Northern side of the city. So the visual distinction between the Oceanfront and Town Center would be eliminated, as most buildings between both neighborhoods would be of the same height.

In other words, nothing but mid rises or higher from Norfolk to the Oceanfront. Check out this link.

The city desires to have eight other urban cores, in addition to the Oceanfront and Town Center. And no, Virginia Beach will not be New York or Chicago. But it will have other mid to high rise developed neighborhoods in accordance with what is the norm for a city it's size. Sort of how things are in Atlanta.

So it does not really matter what happens at Town Center at the end of the day. The real consideration, is that Town Center is a model for how the City wants to transform the rest of the city. I doubt you'll see another 30 story building but there will be a lot of taller buildings sprinkled throughout the city, and new development will be vertical, not horizontal.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,391,131 times
Virginia Beach is one gorgeous city! Though admittedly it lacks a true urban core right now and is mostly from what I have seen on Google Earth, just suburban houses.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:24 AM

979 posts, read 1,771,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
In other words, nothing but mid rises or higher from Norfolk to the Oceanfront. Check out this link.
I actually really like this idea. But it'll be slow going - some of these areas will require major roadwork before they can worry about taller buildings and whatnot.

I'd love to see Hilltop come together. I've always thought it an odd mix of high-end shopping and dining kind of plopped in the the midst of run-down strip malls with lots of terrible roads and parking lots that need resurfacing. I'm sure there's someone out there who really needs a car title loan and a paycheck cashing place so they can drive their Mercedes around the potholes to run over and buy their $300 custom maternity hospital gown, but it ain't me.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I actually really like this idea. But it'll be slow going - some of these areas will require major roadwork before they can worry about taller buildings and whatnot.

I'd love to see Hilltop come together. I've always thought it an odd mix of high-end shopping and dining kind of plopped in the the midst of run-down strip malls with lots of terrible roads and parking lots that need resurfacing. I'm sure there's someone out there who really needs a car title loan and a paycheck cashing place so they can drive their Mercedes around the potholes to run over and buy their $300 custom maternity hospital gown, but it ain't me.
There will be major roadwork. The City wants to take Virginia Beach Boulevard from 4 lanes each way down to 3. And get rid of the service roads. Which would be on par with how things are in older cities similar to the population of Virginia Beach proper. If they really wanted to make it authentic they could run it as two one way streets three lanes wide. But the city already has the street infrastructure that it has, with millions invested into it, and a reduction from 4 down to 3 is more than enough work to keep construction crews busy. Utilities would also have to move, among other things.

Hilltop is rather interesting. But then so is much of Virginia Beach; you have an odd, eclectic, mix of high end retail in strip malls that do not evoke a high end feeling. Town Center has absorbed some of that action, think Nordstrom Rack, etc, but that is still the rule in VB, and not the exception. As VB becomes vertical, you'll see more of this retail in mixed use, and people will live above it, but not much else will change. But at least it won't feel as suburban.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 17,827 times
Can they seriously do something about that f-ing Independence interchange? With all the money they are sinking into the Town Center concept and parking garages, they need to sort that exit out. It was built to throttle all traffic into a toll booth but that has been gone 20 years now so fix it. Cars regularly back up onto 264 (totally unsafe) and the stupid exit feeder lanes are full while the three lanes next to them are empty.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:47 PM

7,186 posts, read 6,769,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORFian View Post
Can they seriously do something about that f-ing Independence interchange? With all the money they are sinking into the Town Center concept and parking garages, they need to sort that exit out. It was built to throttle all traffic into a toll booth but that has been gone 20 years now so fix it. Cars regularly back up onto 264 (totally unsafe) and the stupid exit feeder lanes are full while the three lanes next to them are empty.
After going through that interchange last year, I agree. Hell, all cloverleaf interchanges in high-traffic areas just suck, period.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORFian View Post
No.

Best bet would be to throttle it down to 3 but that would be suicide considering the monstrosity that is already built.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:21 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,503,764 times
I believe a new interchange is going to be built from 64 that empties somewhere near Town Center. Hopefully that will alleviate some of the backups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area