Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 05:32 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenlen View Post
I am thinking about doing a commute from Norfolk, VA to Washington, DC for employment with the federal government, because the salaries are much better. Is there anyone doing a commute from Norfolk, VA to DC? If so, I would like to hear how you are managing the commute.
What are you a masochist? No, absolutely not.

Maybe from Richmond, but even that is unsustainable, IMHO.

Your best bet is Fredericksburg, Arlington, or some other city that you can at least connect to DC by Metro. And even that (Fredericksburg) is an hour and a half.

You should be able to find an apartment in Northern Virginia that is at a similar price to something you can find here. Northern Virginia is not that much more expensive than Hampton Roads, which is not that much cheaper than Northern Virginia. The problem people run into up there, and in DC proper, is trying to purchase a home, condominium, etc. If you're renting you can get something as low as $1,200, which you should be able to afford on a DC salary. Another issue, is similar to what people moving to NYC run into; their ego. There are plenty of properties that are available that are not in the fashionable, designer lifestyle parts of town that are safe, clean, and affordable. But everyone wants to live in Ghent, Hilltop, Town Center, Downtown Norfolk, Fort Norfolk, Larchmont, etc. Until they can't afford it, then they want to move across the street next to the Blacks and minorities who aren't supposed to be able to afford to live in proximity to those places, and are then in disbelief when there is no drama and no one gives them any problems. They could have lived there all along.

People complain about DC and Virginia but they have to walk before they can run. First, make sure you even want to live in or around either. Second, get your credit right. Until you can do those two things just rent like everyone else and see how it goes. You might save a few hundred living here in Hampton Roads. That is not worth the mind numbing, caffeine and stimulant addiction commute you'll endure just to stay awake for four hours. You could have just taken those savings and found something comparable in Northern Virginia, or spend another three to five hundred and stay in DC itself. You're just chasing your own tail making that commute.

Last edited by goofy328; 07-17-2016 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:23 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
We're all too unified here. It's sickening.

Go for it, OP. You got this. Do it!

Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
We're all too unified here. It's sickening.

Go for it, OP. You got this. Do it!
Well this one isn't a science project. But to each their own the OP has to do what works best for them. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 AM

56 posts, read 68,832 times
I hated bridge traffic from the penninsula to southside. I couldn't even imagine driving near 400 miles a day. But yeah, look at a GPS and plug in your routes at the times you will be travelling. I had a boss who drove up to Arlington a few times a month. One way sometimes it would take him 7 hours from VAB to Arlington. No amount of money would make me do it, unless I had a jet or a heli, then, maybe.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:41 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Don't do it. Think about it. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 260 days a year. That's almost 86 full days of driving a year. Money isn't everything in this special case.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:14 PM

163 posts, read 171,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
That's not a manageable commute in anyway whatsoever.
11000000% agree. It would take you HOURS to get there and HOURS to get back. Definitely not do-able considering the horrific I-64 & 95 traffic.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:59 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I'm guessing the OP is never going to post an update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area