Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,641 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about doing a commute from Norfolk, VA to Washington, DC for employment with the federal government, because the salaries are much better. Is there anyone doing a commute from Norfolk, VA to DC? If so, I would like to hear how you are managing the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
That's not a manageable commute in anyway whatsoever.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenlen View Post
I am thinking about doing a commute from Norfolk, VA to Washington, DC for employment with the federal government, because the salaries are much better. Is there anyone doing a commute from Norfolk, VA to DC? If so, I would like to hear how you are managing the commute.
If you don't require sleep, by all means go for it. But even assuming the roads are completely clear (and going through the HRBT, skipping Richmond via 264, and then NOVA, they won't be) you're looking at a 3 and a half hour commute.

If you're desperate to be as far away from DC as possible while still enjoying the DC salaries, you MAYBE could do Richmond to DC, but even that is a nightmare of a commute. But Norfolk to DC is absolutely not possible.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:51 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,022 times
Are you talking about a DAILY commute? If so, no way.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,325,303 times
I'm not sure if this is a real post, but unless you have a helicopter and a pad on both ends of your commute to park it on this commute would not be possible for any amount of money. I actually make this opposite commute once a month or so, and I do not leave my house until around 10 am, just to avoid most of the mess that is 95 and 64. No one could possibly do this everyday. You could always rent a room in DC through the week and commute on Friday and Sunday.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:41 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,119 times
must be a joke. People commute from RVA to DC, and I think they are insane

Old 07-12-2016, 01:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
People commute from Stafford County, VA to DC and I think that is insane.

Serious though, getting a commuter room in Northern VA then going back to Norfolk on the weekend is more sane.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
I know somebody who did, but they had a small apartment for during the week.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:26 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,852 times
I live Virginia Beach and go to my office in Sterling, VA, for a day or two about every other week. I leave at about 4am to miss traffic on this end, which puts me in traffic on 95N usually starting about a couple miles before the Express lanes. That traffic isn't horrible, BUT I get off 95 in Woodbridge to 123. I'm sure the traffic is much worse if you continue on up 95 across or onto the Beltway. And I still hit some heavy traffic on the non-highways (123, Ffx Co Pkwy, and 28).

For my return trip, I usually don't leave my office until about 6:30pm or else 95S sucks most of the way down to Fredericksburg.

My trip usually takes about 4-5 hours each way including 1-2 stops for gas/food (even though Google Maps usually estimates less than 4). I do get a bargain on gas, though, as the truck stops at exit 104 off 95 seem to consistently have the best prices ($1.85 yesterday!).

There are times I make the trip in one day. It's a looong day, and I certainly wouldn't do it 2 or more days in a row. It gets tiring if I have to do it once a week for a month. I try to keep it to every other week or less. I work from home the rest of the time.

The salary is nice. The commute sucks. Zero chance I would ever consider doing it daily.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:19 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post

Like those who commute from Winchester & Front Royal to BALTIMORE !! Apparently there are a number of folks who do it as that is one reason why some of the Baltimore TV stations are still on cable there. In the past when the local Comcast tried to take WBAL & WJZ off from the lineup they come out of the woodwork and protest "..we need those Baltimore channels since we work there !!"...and Comcast would back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area