Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:50 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErsatzS2 View Post
Yes parts of Ocean View are still gritty, and may be for a long time, but it just seems incorrect to say there hasn't been directional improvement. Finally we met some of existing residents and it's an impressive constellation of professionals, retired execs, senior military officers and generally interesting people.
Clearly you can buy more land in other regions of HR but for me that is not a positive; the plug-and-play nature of the east beach proposition is mighty appealing...
I am probably the biggest fan of Norfolk and hope that it can move forward and continue to improve. There are so many areas that have incredible potential.

Very glad to see them doing things with Waterside and Ocean View. Have my hopes up, but Norfolk has a bad history of attempted revitalization. The only place where it actually seemed to work was Ghent and the Freemason/Downtown/MacArthur Mall area.

They really need to fix areas like Park Place and East Little Creek, reduce the the huge amount of government bureaucracy and waste, fix their schools, and try to attract business and the middle class by lowering taxes.

City leadership hasn't been doing right by Norfolk. Nearby(and conservative) Virginia Beach is kicking Norfolk's arse in just about every category related to the economy.

The sad truth is that Norfolk has the same problems of Detroit, Chicago, and other minority-majority cities: They keep voting in liberals that believe the only way to fix a city's problems is to increase the size of the government.

The reality is, they just keep wasting tax-payer money and scaring off the middle class.

Just look at how the city is divided. You have the rich in places like Larchmont, West Ghent, and the Hauge, and super poor people just about every other place. The middle class presence doesn't seem to be that strong and that's what makes a place desirable.

Anyway, good luck to Norfolk. I'll continue to visit, but will never be a homeowner there as long as they continue to have insane crime rates and vote idiots into office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 12:03 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
I am probably the biggest fan of Norfolk and hope that it can move forward and continue to improve. There are so many areas that have incredible potential.

Very glad to see them doing things with Waterside and Ocean View. Have my hopes up, but Norfolk has a bad history of attempted revitalization. The only place where it actually seemed to work was Ghent and the Freemason/Downtown/MacArthur Mall area.

They really need to fix areas like Park Place and East Little Creek, reduce the the huge amount of government bureaucracy and waste, fix their schools, and try to attract business and the middle class by lowering taxes.

City leadership hasn't been doing right by Norfolk. Nearby(and conservative) Virginia Beach is kicking Norfolk's arse in just about every category related to the economy.

The sad truth is that Norfolk has the same problems of Detroit, Chicago, and other minority-majority cities: They keep voting in liberals that believe the only way to fix a city's problems is to increase the size of the government.

The reality is, they just keep wasting tax-payer money and scaring off the middle class.

Just look at how the city is divided. You have the rich in places like Larchmont, West Ghent, and the Hauge, and super poor people just about every other place. The middle class presence doesn't seem to be that strong and that's what makes a place desirable.

Anyway, good luck to Norfolk. I'll continue to visit, but will never be a homeowner there as long as they continue to have insane crime rates and vote idiots into office.
Actually it is white privileged power system of Virginia and America in general which allowed cities/suburbs like "conservative" VAB to exist in the capacity they do in the first place... that sucked life out of the cities you named. Blaming it on some "minority-majority" bullsheet without acknowledging the selfish/greedy and bigoted causes of the problems of these cities is also part of the problem...as well as people with that type of mentality. Detroit is not like Chicago...and Norfolk is not like either.

Norfolk has a good history with revitalization from what I see.

Fix Park Place? Park Place will "fix" itself...it is a working class neighborhood...what is it supposed to be? Its commercial corridor was vibrant when Ghents wasn't... and NOW Ghents commercial corridor is doing well while Park Places is reinventing...It was not always this way. Blackfolks aint going no damn where if that's what you mean...you can forget about all that.

And the strange thing about what you say...Norfolk primarily is where the middle class live...VA Beach is where the "rich" supposedly live...you may think people are "poor" who are actually not...and West Ghent and Larchmont have many "not rich" people.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Actually it is white privileged power system of Virginia and America in general which allowed cities/suburbs like "conservative" VAB.
LOL. Stopped reading at "white privileged". Nobody that uses that term should be taken seriously. I'm sure the rest of your post is utter BS too.

Keep blaming whitey there bud. It's 2016. We have a black president. Did his white privilege get him into office? Sorry but that card doesn't work anymore.

The mayor of Norfolk, and half of the city council, is black. Did their white privilege card get them their positions?

How do I cash in on this white privilege? It must have skipped me when I was working as a cable guy while going to TNCC and maintaining a 4.0 for 3 years straight. It should have been there for me when I was struggling to afford to pay for W&M and support myself. Where was it when I was working 90 hours a week building my business?

It doesn't exist. It's something liberals tell you exists so they get your support. Wake up.

But, I'm sure you won't. It's so much easier to blame the white man than it is to accept responsibility and actually get out there and create something.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
LOL. Stopped reading at "white privileged". Nobody that uses that term should be taken seriously. I'm sure the rest of your post is utter BS too.

Keep blaming whitey there bud. It's 2016. We have a black president. Did his white privilege get him into office? Sorry but that card doesn't work anymore.

The mayor of Norfolk, and half of the city council, is black. Did their white privilege card get them their positions?

How do I cash in on this white privilege? It must have skipped me when I was working as a cable guy while going to TNCC and maintaining a 4.0 for 3 years straight. It should have been there for me when I was struggling to afford to pay for W&M and support myself. Where was it when I was working 90 hours a week building my business?

But, I'm sure your fellow Democrats will agree. They need you to keep playing the victim. It's so much easier to blame the white man than it is to accept responsibility and actually get out there and create something.
Its pretty much understood how Virginia Beach came into existence and how it operated..."white privilege" is just a clean/neat/nice way of saying outright racist and bigoted...cause of course that is the history of America and this area of America is ground zero and the birthplace of all its issues. Not to know this or acknowledge this is pretty ignorant but I dont expect much from reading some of the bullsheet you and other closeted individuals spam this forum with.

Yeah it is 2016 genius...VA Beach was not formed in 2016...and the president sure the hell wasn't Black when it was. The mentioning of a Black president as if that excuses all examples of bigoted power structures intact across America, including the ones that positioned VA Beach to be what IT is...shows how infantile someones ability is to comprehend cause and effect and BASIC history. Lmao I mean its not like its a secret.

SMH. The current mayor of Norfolk hasn't even been in office two months and he is the 1st Black mayor of Norfolk. White privilege? GTFOH...Lmao if anything white privilege helped keep all the other mayors in office.

As for the rest of your 'typical' hardheaded know-it-all ad hominem nonsensical narrative... Its good that people like you DONT buy homes in Norfolk, Norfolk wont miss you.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 08-23-2016 at 02:01 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Its pretty much understood how Virginia Beach came into existence and how it operated..."white privilege" is just a clean/neat/nice way of saying outright racist and bigoted...cause of course that is the history of America and this area of America is ground zero and the birthplace of all its issues. Not to know this or acknowledge this is pretty ignorant but I dont expect much from reading some of the bullsheet you and other closeted individuals spam this forum with.

Yeah it is 2016 genius...VA Beach was not formed in 2016...and the president sure the hell wasn't Black when it was. The mentioning of a Black president as if that excuses all examples of bigoted power structures intact across America, including the ones that positioned VA Beach to be what IT is...shows how infantile someones ability is to comprehend cause and effect and BASIC history. Lmao I mean its not like its a secret.

SMH. The current mayor of Norfolk hasn't even been in office two months and he is the 1st Black mayor of Norfolk. White privilege? GTFOH...Lmao if anything white privilege helped keep all the other mayors in office.

As for the rest of your 'typical' hardheaded know-it-all ad hominem nonsensical narrative... Its good that people like you DONT buy homes in Norfolk, Norfolk wont miss you.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 AM

Old 08-24-2016, 08:58 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
I'm just glad there are no race relation issues in Hampton Roads. The area is just so integrated.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:04 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
Coconut1 wins the Internet post of the year award again........SMH

Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I'm just glad there are no race relation issues in Hampton Roads. The area is just so integrated.
You've got some nerve being as though youre from Jersey. There are "issues" and "attitudes" all across America...and "VA Beach" is still one of the most "integrated" cities in the country. You don't know WHERE folks comin here from...people come through here from -who knows where- just look at you. And 95% of the people on HR forum aint even from here. I bet less than 35% even LIVE here lmaosmh...but always got something to say.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
You've got some nerve being as though youre from Jersey. There are "issues" and "attitudes" all across America...and "VA Beach" is still one of the most "integrated" cities in the country. You don't know WHERE folks comin here from...people come through here from -who knows where- just look at you. And 95% of the people on HR forum aint even from here. I bet less than 35% even LIVE here lmaosmh...but always got something to say.
I find it incredibly interesting that you know I'm from New Jersey, and know I'm gay when I've never said where I'm from on this forum, and never said my sexual orientation, gender, age, race, or any other status for that matter.

If there's laughing and shaking of head to be done, it's at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area