Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 AM

8 posts, read 14,817 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move from New York to either vab, Chesapeake , or Williamsburg. I was wondering where these areas stood politically, are they more dem or rep? Also, being from ny, The South has a reputation here as being "Bible Belt" territory. However, from what I've gathered on other forums, that doesn't seem particularly true of this area? Lastly, trying to figure out which area has a more tight knit, friendly, and welcoming community. I will be home with two young children and no no one in this area, so I'm definitely looking for an easy integration into the community. While there are friendly people where I live now, The overall vibe here is a little stand offish and everyone out for themselves. We are looking to get as far away from that as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Np912 View Post
My family and I are considering a move from New York to either vab, Chesapeake , or Williamsburg. I was wondering where these areas stood politically, are they more dem or rep? Also, being from ny, The South has a reputation here as being "Bible Belt" territory. However, from what I've gathered on other forums, that doesn't seem particularly true of this area? Lastly, trying to figure out which area has a more tight knit, friendly, and welcoming community. I will be home with two young children and no no one in this area, so I'm definitely looking for an easy integration into the community. While there are friendly people where I live now, The overall vibe here is a little stand offish and everyone out for themselves. We are looking to get as far away from that as possible!
This isn't bible belt territory. You're probably thinking of Georgia, or Mississippi. Anyways that misconception really does not mean anything anymore. The South is more diversified now.

This isn't as standoffish as the North, if that is your concern. It isn't Southern hospitality either. However, there are plenty of people from other areas of the country that are standoffish. So your mileage may vary.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 14,817 times
Yes, the general consensus I've gathered through these threads is that this area is a bit of a melting pot, which I do like, but was also hoping for a bit of that "southern hospitality" feel. However, I did see a couple of comments on here about how vab is a more conservative area, which is what prompted my curiosity, hence this post...

Old 08-28-2016, 05:16 AM

27 posts, read 36,262 times
VA Beach is blood Red, from a political standpoint. Norfolk is blue. They don't work together, and they have two extreme viewpoints of future growth in the region. VA Beach will be vastly different politically than NY (I'm from Brooklyn). Norfolk will as well, however, as a Southern city and Northern cities, while the same politically, have different factors forcing their policies.

Norfolk has more "Southern Charm" in my opinion than some of the faster growing southern cities, and certainly more than VA Beach as the Beach is a larger transplant and transient environment (Navy).

Both have good and bad areas, so more info will be needed as to what type of living arrangements and environments you are looking for to give you substantive answers.

I don't speak of Chesapeake because I don't frequent there. It's not an area I enjoy.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:43 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bus Bum View Post
VA Beach is blood Red, from a political standpoint. Norfolk is blue. They don't work together, and they have two extreme viewpoints of future growth in the region. VA Beach will be vastly different politically than NY (I'm from Brooklyn). Norfolk will as well, however, as a Southern city and Northern cities, while the same politically, have different factors forcing their policies.

Norfolk has more "Southern Charm" in my opinion than some of the faster growing southern cities, and certainly more than VA Beach as the Beach is a larger transplant and transient environment (Navy).

Both have good and bad areas, so more info will be needed as to what type of living arrangements and environments you are looking for to give you substantive answers.

I don't speak of Chesapeake because I don't frequent there. It's not an area I enjoy.
Chesapeake is pretty much just as conservative as Virginia Beach. Not sure about Williamsburg.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 17,912 times
I would say it depends on where you are in VB. The more diverse the area, the less conservative it is. Also keep in mind that VB tends to vote republican and Norfolk votes democratic. However, Norfolk is an old city where whites and blacks do not generally mix and socially, both groups seem more conservative on social issues to me. People of all backgrounds from VB always seem more socially liberal than I expect them to be. The neighborhoods are more diverse as well. Chesapeake on the other hand- well that is bible belt territory from my experiences. Especially the further into "Deep Creek" or "Great Bridge" that you go. And Suffolk is just, eh, I'll leave it at that. Depending on your budget, Norfolk has some nicer areas like Larchmont and Colonial Place that are very nice so I would not count it out completely. WB is very nice and depending on where you are, very well heeled. It's also a shorter trip to Richmond and DC for a day/weekend out. It will depend on where you are working as well. If you are working on the Peninsula, WB is a very good place to live. York County is nice but conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area