Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM

43 posts, read 112,368 times

Advertisements

I thought i would ask this questions becuase i am in debate on another forum on this site. On the Pennslyvania nepa site were debating why people hate my area. I love living where i live in the country, but there also is many bad memeories and so forth. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania way in the mountains. I love livining in the country, but the people are so mean where i live and there are very low income jobs. You could never walk up to somone wherei live or say hi they value their privacy. There are some good points such as a strong family culture.. i am polish and am very very into culture. we even have a kalbosi fest every year and polish food is mostly our diets here. Most of us are not prideful of our area. We feel there is a lack of jobs and so forth. I am moving to either chesapeake or i believe were looking in pungo? My husband is of the chesapeake area and seems to have alot of pride! He loves living in the south. I am excited for a new adventure down south. One person on my board said i will be confronted with alot of crime and such. Is this true? Is this area unsafe??? Do you like where you live? I would like to know why or whynot this area is a good place to want to live or raise a family.

ok have a great great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,795 times
If you are looking in the Pungo or Chesapeake area then the crime is relativley low compared to other surrounding cities in my opinion. I always loved the Pungo area when I lived in VA....you still get the country living feel but not too far away from the beaches! Good luck with your move!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,241 times
Moving from the country to the city can be a tremendous change. I would recommend Pungo if you still want that "country living". It won't be a replica of what you are use to in Pennsylvania, but at least it's close enough.

Chesapeake has some safe neighborhoods and as far as crime, it isn't that bad. Though it's not "country living". As with moving to any "city" even though crime isn't rampant, you still need to be alert and know your surroundings.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:34 PM

27 posts, read 152,702 times
Crime and safety, along with traffic, can be relative terms depending on where you are from and what you are personally accustomed to. Often times you cannot take quips from those who can quickly & easily label large geographic regions as “all crime ridden” or “all super-fantastic & upscale”. You must consider your source. Cities such as Virginia Beach (which is where Pungo is) or Chesapeake are very, very large geographical regions. Both places have mixes of urban AND rural spaces. I lived in Va Beach near Pungo for 3 years. I was very happy… for my personal criterior. Pungo has a fun Strawberry Festival which you may enjoy… along with some “U-pick” farms.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:19 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,680 times
I really like living in the Churchland area of Portsmouth. I live in a nice, safe established subdivision and Portsmouth is right in the heart of Hampton Roads. In 30 min I can be on the peninsula or Virgina Beach. My area is not modern - nor does it have top notch shopping, but all that is only 10 minutes away. I can be in downtown Norfolk in 10-15 min or in farmland in Suffolk/Isle of Wight.

The schools in all of Ptown are not the best, but my son is very happy with Churchland High. I like all of Hampton Roads because it is not as crazy as Northern Virginia and it is definitely not hillbilly (well, ok some very rural areas are). Just a nice area to live with plenty of things to do.

The weather is the #1 reason I moved here - mild winters.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM

82 posts, read 300,473 times
There"s plenty of country living is Chesapeake, just like Pungo only west. But just like Pungo, if you have to go somewhere in a hurry good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area