Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 PM

287 posts, read 503,436 times

Advertisements

I live in dry Colorado. Been here 5 years now. Originally from Illinois.
I do not like Colorado. You have the mountains, yes. But you also have
brown winters, mixed with lots of snow. The summers are nice, but
once again, mainly brown, and dry. I discovered Virginia as a truck driver, going
up and down I-81. I have also been to Richmond a few times for
deliveries, as well. What really caught my attention recently in regard to
Virginia, however, is bridges. There is another forum in US General
about bridges, and there are so many beauitful bridge structures in the
Hampton Roads area. Ok, now to the meat of my post. I am looking
to relocate in two months, once my lease is up. For a person such as myself, who gets claustrophobic in tight, conjested areas, and who
is going to move across country with two cats, and has no idea where
he's going to live once he gets there, would you recommend Richmond,
or one of the seven cities of Hampton Roads? I want something manageable.
I don't want to feel overwhelmed by trying to figure out where the bad
parts of town are, and so on. I just get the impression that Virginia Beach
and the Hampton Roads area is very hectic and there isn't much room to move around. I really do get nervous when I don't have room to breath.
As I elluded to briefly, the bridges of the Chesapeake Bay area is what
pushed VA over the top for me, but perhaps Richmond also has nice waterways and bridges.
I could always get situated in Richmond, assuming Richmond is a better
starter city, and once I get accustomed to living in Virginia, move to Hampton Roads. It is my gut feeling that Virginia is where I will go to in two months.
I just need to get a better understanding things. I hope you can give me
meaningful input. I truly appreciate you help. I plan to find work as a truck driver, by the way. Not over the road trucking, but local stuff, mostly.
Jobs and the cost of housing are very important to me. I want to buy a house someday. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
I personally am not a fan of Richmond. It is a very 'industrial' city and crime has really been on the rise there.

The Hampton Roads area is VERY large. In your situation, Va Beach may not be the best choice because it is on the edge of the HR area and boardered by ocean. One main way in and out of the city - it is a fine area to visit, shop etc, but you might get that closed in feeling there.

I would probably suggest Chesapeake, Suffolk or even Portsmouth (Churchland area). These cities are more in the center of the area and as a truck driver, you will have a TON of job opportunities here. We have the brand new Portsmouth Marine Terminal as well as many other trucking companies - this area tends to be heavy on the blue collar jobs.

You should like the weather here - 4 distinct seasons, but we have mild winters. Hot and humid in the summer (just like most of the east coast) but the spring and fall are very nice.

Unfortunately though, you do have to worry about bad neighborhoods in every city. Each city has a bad section, but some are very distinct. If you end up in this area, we can certainly give you guidence on the areas to avoid. If you don't have children, then you have it much easier.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 AM

Oh, as far as being 'hectic' here - no way. I moved here from Northern Virginia 4 years ago and this area is worlds away from the craziness of the big city. I usually feel like I have stepped back in time when I travel in Suffolk and parts of Chesapeake and see farmland everywhere.

Of course there is traffic, but that is mainly centered around all the bridges and tunnels. Even then it probably only takes an addl 10-20 minutes to get though the tunnel area. That is really not a big deal.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 AM

[quote=stacylee926;2907144]I usually feel like I have stepped back in time when I travel in Suffolk and parts of Chesapeake and see farmland everywhere.

Farmland is a big plus. Nothing cures the closed in feeling better than farmland.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM

[quote=stacylee926;2907095]I personally am not a fan of Richmond. It is a very 'industrial' city and crime has really been on the rise there.

I would probably suggest Chesapeake, Suffolk or even Portsmouth (Churchland area). These cities are more in the center of the area and as a truck driver, you will have a TON of job opportunities here. We have the brand new Portsmouth Marine Terminal as well as many other trucking companies - this area tends to be heavy on the blue collar jobs.

Chesapeake, Suffolk sounds like the ticket, thanks for the idea. I am surprised that
Richmond is an industrial city. Being the state capitol, I assumed it
would be more white collar in nature. But either way, I am not
adverse to industrial settings. I like them, in fact.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Dont get me wrong - Richmond is not that bad. I have been to many places around the city, but I just never really liked the feel of the area. It is rather historical in some areas.

I guess the Hampton Roads area has alot more to offer - and Richmond is only an 1 1/2 hrs away.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 PM

youre not the only person to mention richmond as being unappealing. There is a thread in US forums about ugly cities, and the person who posted it mentions richmond.
So it's settled, I'm crossing richmond off my list. I like what you said about sulfolk, and there being farm land and tons of truck driving jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area