Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM

239 posts, read 633,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Yes, the Virginia Beach- Norfolk MSA was ranked the best place to live in america, I can't cite my source, I just remmber it.
I think I found what they were referring to, the source was USA Weekend / USA Today from 2003. Since it was 2003, much of the data was probably based on 2002. Back then, housing was much, much cheaper, probably half what it is today. In that respect, VA Beach and HR was probably a more desirable place to live.

To be fair, in recent years I have seen a few lists with VA Beach ranked high in terms of best city for outdoors and such, but I have not seen it ranked in the top 100 for best places to live. I think the housing boom is the only thing that really drove this area during that time and now that that is over, HRs best days are behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
I can't agree ChesapeakeSim. Maybe since you live in Chesapeake, which is mostly rural/ suburban community you don't really care, but all you have to do is look at what norfolk and virginia beach are doing with their urban planning/ light rail efforts to see that the best days are yet to come. From downtown norfolk to virginia beach to the oceanfront, we have a lot of life left in us.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 PM

148 posts, read 290,835 times
thanks rtandc, for corroborating my thoughts on the poor financial judgement this person usually seems to have with regard to Hampton Roads. It is encouraging to read comments from other folks who share a similar viewpoint.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
thanks rtandc, for corroborating my thoughts on the poor financial judgement this person usually seems to have with regard to Hampton Roads. It is encouraging to read comments from other folks who share a similar viewpoint.

And again I don't make those thoughts based just on Hampton Roads, I like it here!!!...I just think it is a bad time to buy a home anywhere in the USA unless you plan of living in that home for a number of years based on the whole housing market mess right now..

I don't care where you live you can find something you don't like about it.......

I see you talk highly about the city of Dallas.....Trust me I have been to Dallas many times....there is nothing great about that city that causes it to stand out from any other city of it's size but you seem to like it so that great.............But I think many people liking or not liking where they live is more of a personal issue they have and not so much the city, town or area in itself....

So if you don't like it here that is fine I am not going to try and change your mind, and I will be the first one to agree when someone talks about some of the true problems this area does have but so far some of what I have seen you talk about in prior post is.... you don't like the Sand/beach or the weather/humidity....

Duh!! don't you think you should of maybe did a little homework on the area before you moved....It is called Va "Beach" for a reason and it is located on the east coast which is widely known for its high humidity... see complaints like those wont get any sorrow from me.

I put the blame on the person for moving here in the first place and not the area in general if that is all you are going to complain about...... that would be like going over to the Rocky mountain area of this board and reading about people who complain about the high altitude of the area......or people complaining because they moved to Hawaii and then complain they don't have easy access to the mainland..... none of that makes any sense to me.......I also read about people who complain about this area because they were forced to move here because of their job....well maybe they should be complaining about their job and not so much about the area when it is all said and done....

Last edited by rtandc; 08-06-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
And again I don't make those thoughts based just on Hampton Roads, I like it here!!!...I just think it is a bad time to buy a home anywhere in the USA unless you plan of living in that home for a number of years based on the whole housing market mess right now..

I don't care where you live you can find something you don't like about it.......

I see you talk highly about the city of Dallas.....Trust me I have been to Dallas many times....there is nothing great about that city that causes it to stand out from any other city of it's size but you seem to like it so that great.............But I think many people liking or not liking where they live is more of a personal issue they have and not so much the city, town or area in itself....

So if you don't like it here that is fine I am not going to try and change your mind, and I will be the first one to agree when someone talks about some of the true problems this area does have but so far some of what I have seen you talk about in prior post is.... you don't like the Sand/beach or the weather/humidity....

Duh!! don't you think you should of maybe did a little homework on the area before you moved....It is called Va "Beach" for a reason and it is located on the east coast which is widely known for its high humidity... see complaints like those wont get any sorrow from me.

I put the blame on the person for moving here in the first place and not the area in general if that is all you are going to complain about...... that would be like going over to the Rocky mountain area of this board and reading about people who complain about the high altitude of the area......or people complaining because they moved to Hawaii and then complain they don't have easy access to the mainland..... none of that makes any sense to me.......I also read about people who complain about this area because they were forced to move here because of their job....well maybe they should be complaining about their job and not so much about the area when it is all said and done....
Oh Lord....amen on that one buddy! I see it everyday!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 PM

148 posts, read 290,835 times
For those who find these complaints about Hampton Roads and the beach repetitive and pointless,
remember: this forum is called: "People that hate Hampton Roads". Therefore, those of us
who detest the region for whatever reason are entitled to repeatedly vent any and all frustrations
about living here. It's called "Free Speech". Or is this now only an exclusive privelege for the select few?

For those who cannot comprehend how such a mistake on our part could be made, remember: if everyone
had unlimited time and financial resources to fully investigate their next city of residence, then no one
would ever move somewhere they did not already like. Therefore, no one would ever relocate more than once.
As far as I can tell, these forums did not exist before our arrival here.
If they did, and if we read them, we definitely would not have come here.
Prior to this unfortunate move, I had not lived on or near military installations or tourist destinations.
Therefore, I had no way to know just how much I would dislike the close proximity of both.

Having military personnel from all over the world is hardly a recommendation for extensive ethnic and cultural diversity.
This offers little in expanding my horizons. Nearly every foreign national I have met here is connected in
some way to the military installations nearby (*obviously*).
Their focus is not on languages, culture, and international films. In other words,
I have met very few people who share my interests.

I was warned by an acquaintance prior to coming here that the area was, in his own words, 'Unsophisticated'.
Others in New England told me I would miss the cultural landscape there. My own field of training is in theater/film,
languages, and music (operatic/cabaret). I find this area offers significantly less than New England and Dallas. And yes,
we did come here for a job, and no, there is no reason to complain about the job. The job is not the problem. Understand?
Yes? No? Perhaps some here will have the pleasure of having to make an unpleasant decision such as this in their
lifetime as well. And deal with the consequences.

I have perused other forums about Hampton Roads. Sometimes I am shocked at the sheer venom many of the locals level
at those they deem 'whiners' and 'malcontents' simply because they are disappointed with the quality of life here in
comparison to other locations where they have lived.

Perhaps after reading this, some may realize my dissatisfaction with this area runs far deeper than only the climate and
the beach.

And yes, we are still firmly committed to transferring out of here as soon as possible.

Last edited by DallasYankee; 08-06-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,529 times
Quote:
And yes, we are still firmly committed to transferring out of here as soon as possible. Once we're gone you'll never hear from us again.
Thank God

Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Quote:
For those who find these complaints about Hampton Roads and the beach repetitive and pointless,
remember: this forum is called: "People that hate Hampton Roads". Therefore, those of us
who detest the region for whatever reason are entitled to repeatedly vent any and all frustrations
about living here. It's called "Free Speech". Or is this now only an exclusive privelege for the select few?

For those who cannot comprehend how such a mistake on our part could be made, remember: if everyone
had unlimited time and financial resources to fully investigate their next city of residence, then no one
would ever move somewhere they did not already like. Therefore, no one would ever relocate more than once.
As far as I can tell, these forums did not exist before our arrival here.
If they did, and if we read them, we definitely would not have come here.
Prior to this unfortunate move, I had not lived on or near military installations or tourist destinations.
Therefore, I had no way to know just how much I would dislike the close proximity of both.

Having military personnel from all over the world is hardly a recommendation for extensive ethnic and cultural diversity.
This offers little in expanding my horizons. Nearly every foreign national I have met here is connected in
some way to the military installations nearby (*obviously*).
Their focus is not on languages, culture, and international films. In other words,
I have met very few people who share my interests.

I was warned by an acquaintance prior to coming here that the area was, in his own words, 'Unsophisticated'.
Others in New England told me I would miss the cultural landscape there. My own field of training is in theater/film,
languages, and music (operatic/cabaret). I find this area offers significantly less than New England and Dallas. And yes,
we did come here for a job, and no, there is no reason to complain about the job. The job is not the problem. Understand?
Yes? No? Perhaps some here will have the pleasure of having to make an unpleasant decision such as this in their
lifetime as well. And deal with the consequences.

I have perused other forums about Hampton Roads. Sometimes I am shocked at the sheer venom many of the locals level
at those they deem 'whiners' and 'malcontents' simply because they are disappointed with the quality of life here in
comparison to other locations where they have lived.

Perhaps after reading this, some may realize my dissatisfaction with this area runs far deeper than only the climate and
the beach.

And yes, we are still firmly committed to transferring out of here as soon as possible.

LOL again you can hate this area all you want, and I have told you I would not try and change your mind, but don't act surprised when people debate your findings when you post them on an open forum no matter what the title of the link may be called....Because that what "free speech" is all about. If you don't want someone debating your feelings them keep them to yourself and don't put them on a forum for everyone to see and read.....

Funny you post about how you were "warned" about this area but still came anyway and now you seemed shocked to find this area not to your liking and now you seem upset because some people don't agree with your thoughts...And then you talk about whiners and malcontents when you yourself also fit perfectly into that definition.....And call the area or local people "Unsophisticated" because this area does not have the quality of music or arts you would like to see...well it must have some or you would not be here right?.......so yes it is a two way street and you seem to want to go in the different direction I am going, and again that is fine but don't expect everyone to follow your directions

Last edited by rtandc; 08-07-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Just some observations about Hampton Roads...
when we first arrived in April 2007 and the area was in the midst of its housing boom, most people reacted very smugly when we told our story of unemployment and forced relocation. They rolled their eyes and showed absolutely zero empathy. Apparently job loss was something the locals could not understand. One of these people whom I recently spoke with has lost their job. They now seem to finally understand what it could mean to their future, as new jobs may not be so plentiful in this area. A similar event appears to be happening in the housing market, as I've read that foreclosures are at an all time high for this area. Perhaps housing prices may never plummet as low as larger metropolitan areas, but undoubtedly something is wrong with the local economy. I was told by some of the locals that the national economy had nothing to do with Hampton Roads, and that the military presence, coupled with the tourism industry would keep this region afloat. I'm not claiming to be an expert on these matters; just noting my own personal observations.

As an individual who has visited Europe and speaks three languages (no, not Spanish ), I have never felt more foreign and unwelcome than I have here. I feel like I am in a foreign country where I do not speak the language, and the locals are unwilling to be flexible enough to speak my language. In all the places I've lived in the U.S., this is the first time I've experienced this.

As a woman who is childless by choice, without family here, with absolutely no interest in the local military/tourist culture, I can find no motivation to be here. Yes, we are actively searching for opportunities elsewhere. However, I also understand those who do like it here and heartily disagree with me.
We are passionate about returning to Dallas, since we were always very happy there.

Thank you again for allowing me to vent.
Sorry for your forced relocation, and good luck in your quest to return to Dallas ASAP. Life's too short to stay somewhere if you're miserable.

Can't help thinking, though, that you might be a tad happier in the Hampton Roads area if you had made some modest effort to get acquainted with the "local military/tourist culture." There are plenty of folks who will go the extra step to learn about a country outside the U.S. or a foreign language, but think it's totally beneath them to learn about a local U.S. culture (or cuisine or dialect).

Moving to the Hampton Roads area and not making any effort to learn about the local culture seems on par with moving to Philly and never eating a cheese-steak or moving to New York and never spending a day in Central Park...

I offer this observation as someone who's been to Europe, speaks three languages (no, not Spanish, but I wish I did) and has had a blast visiting the Hampton Roads area.

Last edited by JD984; 08-07-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,949 times
Black person tried to steal my radio last night. Stole all the change in the car (did a good job of looking, too :-). Damaged the dash. Damaged the nav unit pretty badly.

No good at stealing radios, but good at going after loose change from the workin' man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area