U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM

34 posts, read 134,658 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Virginia. We currently live in Toledo, Ohio and I just can't stand the icey winters any more...We have been looking at the Richmond area, Hopewel/Petersburg area, Suffolk, Chesapeake, Hampton...basically the entire South East section of Virginia from Richmond to the Atlantic. We have our first child on the way so public schools are very important to us. We also have two boxers so a pet friendly neighborhood is also important (maybe even a local dog park?). My wife is a legal secretary and can find work pretty much anywhere. I, on the other hand, am a Park Ranger/Management and will struggle to find a comparable job to what I have now. But, I have decided to get an MBA whether that be here in Toledo or if there is a really good, well-known College/University near where we move to, then I will get the degree there. We can afford up to 250K for a house. As far as size of community....that's not so much an issue. We want a safe, clean environment, preferrably near some body of water and able to grow a green lawn. Looking at a map, southern Chesapeake near the intercoastal looks desirable.?.? Any reccomendations, positive and negative locations, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Help?

I don't get it....I assumed this web site was for people trying to help other people by offering relocation info from an insiders point of view? At least thats how I respond to inquiries about where I currently live. Did I offend? There is a post that offers several questions that you should be able to answer so that respondents would have more specific info to be able to help you out as best as possible. I gave as much of that info as was needed for our living concerns, yet still no response? I'm stumped???

Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,032,614 times
I look here several times a day and I never saw your post. Did you post it in the general VA forum? Anywho.....

If one your main issues is Ohio weather, then you would be much happier in the Hampton Roads area instead of Richmond. Due to the ocean currents, HR's winters are MUCH milder than Richmond, even though we are only 1 1/2 hrs apart. This winter we had a few hours of 'flurries' and our big storm didn't even cover the grass . The summers are the same all up and down the east coast - hot and humid.

As far as suggestions for WHERE to live that could be more difficult. If you are expecting your first child, they wont be in school for 5 years. My guess is that within 5 years you would know the area very well and could make a better choice after living here.

So with that in mind - considering your house budget - I might suggest Isle of Wight or Suffolk (Carrolton area - not downtown) areas. There is plenty of water and the area is still rather rural. Homes for sale in that area might be in your price range for an older, brick rambler type with a decent sized yard. The schools are good in that area, as they are building new homes and schools are pretty new right now. My second choice would be Chesapeake, but I am not totally familiar with the area you looked at. Some of Chesapeake is still very rural with farms.

Alot of people on this forum will tell you to move to VA Beach because of its fantastic schools. However, I suggest that you keep that thought until your child reaches school age - just my opinion though. I think you really need to get to know the area before you make that decision. You might even consider renting for a while so you dont feel so pressured on where to buy. Who knows what the market will do in 5 years! Your housing budget is workable, but I think the homes in VA Beach in that price might not be in the best areas and you would really need an honest person to advise on that choice.

As far as your career - we DO have numerous parks - Historic Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Back Bay and the Great Dismal Swamp might be places to consider. These are all National Park type areas that may have opportunities.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 AM

One more thing - as far as your MBA, we have very good choices of colleges here - Old Dominion University, William & Mary, Christopher Newport Univ as well as community colleges.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Thank you...

Thanks Stacy,

I did post my thread in the general Va. post as well to get opinions from those beyond Hampton Roads. I was actually stationed at Norfolk many, many moons ago so I am vaguely familiar with the area. I think your right about renting though...I hate to rent, but your opinion on 5 years of change is pretty insightful. In Toledo, 5 years doesn't change much. The great schools will remain great and the poor schools will continue to struggle.
I'm an avid sea kayaker so that’s why I would love to be on or very near a water source. Kayaking down the intercostals and exploring some of the marshes sounds almost romantic to me...lol...
As for winter, I don't mind a blanket of snow, but it's March and my road is still in need of plowing. Some snow is definitely tolerable, just not into March. I'd like to be able to drink my green beer outside if I so choose.
How are taxes for each locale? Ottawa Hills, (suburb of Toledo) has extremely high taxes but has one of the best public school systems in the country (in the top 25). It's hard to find a house under 500K there without bordering some of the less desirable areas of Toledo.
Anyway...thanks again for your post.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 AM

361 posts, read 1,382,958 times
Hi Cassidy

The eastern area of Va is rather large so you are basically looking at Richmond points east to VA Beach. If you want to be close to the beach and the Outer Banks of North Carolina, then the Hampton Roads area is for you. If you want to be more central with easy acsess to DC and the mountains, then look towards Richmond. If you want the best of both worlds then Williamsburg is in between Richmond and Norfolk/VA Beach.
As for MBA, my friend is currently going to William and Mary, Newport news campus and taking evening classes, so that may be an option

Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM

I honestly cannot say about taxes - I moved here 4 years ago from Northern Virginia. I owned my house there and the taxes basically pushed me out. I have not bought here yet because I predicted the market downfall and moved at the begining of it (I refused to overpay for a home). From what I understand - taxes are probably average - not really high and not cheap either.

Right now there are ALOT of rentals because house sales are slow so the sellers are renting them out. Signs are everywhere. IF you rented one of these houses, it could turn into a sale if you liked it. Renting is definitely a good option for someone just moving to the area. You just have to get a feel for neighborhoods and areas and it is too much pressure to do that on a weekend visit.

Currently, the whole area is going through alot of revitalization. Downtown Portsmouth is one of those areas. There is alot of tearing down of the old and rebuilding. There is a new area in Virginia Beach called Town Center with alot of new restaurants, shops, condo's and even a concert hall.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 AM

8 posts, read 39,877 times
Default Virginia Beach

Virginia Beach is a great area with excellent schools - lots of parks in this region. Try checking into Back Bay/False Cape, First Landing State Park, etc. for employment opportunities. Legal work should be no problem. Housing is more expensive - you would probably want to start out with a condo or townhouse in that price range. Houses for that price are in pretty iffy neighborhoods. Virginia Beach is pretty, safe, and a good place to raise a family.

Southern Chesapeake is very rural with good schools, a little too rural for many people.

There are several universities in our area and many others with satellite centers here so that shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area