Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 30,254 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at a house off of Bonney Rd., near Town Center and Thalia area. I'm wondering if anyone has any input on raising a family in this area? The house is on a street with some newer homes and other much older homes. My parents seem to think it is too "risky" to be so close to the railroad tracks (even though they aren't active now) and that eventually our area may be in the middle of a city atmosphere/more crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Those railroad tracks haven't been used in AGES. Sometimes I forget they are even there. So I wouldn't worry about them too much. I know a few people who live off of Bonney road. I have been told that traffic can get a little tricky at times. Especially turning left from any side street onto Bonney road. I can only see this problem getting worse as the town center area flourishes.

As far as crime, I don't see it as being a real issue. Any real crime that town center will bring, will most likely take place in the actual town center area. There have already been a few incidents and I can only see this problem getting worse.

You really shouldn't have any problems, if you buy now you may can sell for a lot more in a couple of years, because the real estate in the area is shooting up because of the new town center construction.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM

132 posts, read 660,905 times
TRAFFIC! VB Blvd and Ind. Blvd is the most congested area of VB.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:40 AM

27 posts, read 152,686 times
I agree... that traffic is your biggest concern on & around Bonney Road.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadoni View Post
My husband and I are looking at a house off of Bonney Rd., near Town Center and Thalia area. I'm wondering if anyone has any input on raising a family in this area? The house is on a street with some newer homes and other much older homes. My parents seem to think it is too "risky" to be so close to the railroad tracks (even though they aren't active now) and that eventually our area may be in the middle of a city atmosphere/more crime.
The new town center area is a great part of VB....I've owned a condo there for 3 years and it's a great location....Property values will continue to rise there...Rest assured about the area..It gets better all the time and is a great location to live in VB...

Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM

I used to live in Boston; the traffic at independence at va bch blvd. is really not that bad. It can be a hassle sometimes around rush hour, but I think at this location I'd be going against traffic most of the time.

buffinvestor: Thanks for the feedback. Now we just have to get our current house on the market and sold

Old 03-23-2008, 06:36 AM

132 posts, read 660,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffinvestor View Post
The new town center area is a great part of VB....I've owned a condo there for 3 years and it's a great location....Property values will continue to rise there...Rest assured about the area..It gets better all the time and is a great location to live in VB...

I dont know that this is a "great area" of VB, maybe OK at best. This area has already seen an increase in crime and it will only get worse. Not that the area is "ghetto", but there are much nicer areas of VB depending on your price range.ie- Kempsville,Great Neck,First Colonial area,Kellam area, all have older neighborhoods with similar home prices to that area with less of the previously mentioned issues.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 AM

121 posts, read 461,929 times
Quote:
While those tracks aren't active now, Va. Beach is seriously considering expanding light rail down that line. This wouldn't happen until Norfolk completes its portion in 2010 (it's under construction now) but it's something to be aware of. Property near that line will likely have to be condemned when they do the right of way upgrade. This may be the risk that your parents are referring too.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdogg View Post
While those tracks aren't active now, Va. Beach is seriously considering expanding light rail down that line. This wouldn't happen until Norfolk completes its portion in 2010 (it's under construction now) but it's something to be aware of. Property near that line will likely have to be condemned when they do the right of way upgrade. This may be the risk that your parents are referring too.
The home we're considering isn't close enough to the tracks to be effected in that way. They are also seriously considering making the area along the former tracks a walking path/park-like. My mom meant "risky" in that they may allow more commercial areas to be built and that we may end up with a "tattoo parlor or thrift store across the street" (that is a direct quote from her). Personally I wouldn't have much of a problem with that, and I also doubt VB would allow those 'types' of businesses near their beloved town center.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM

121 posts, read 461,929 times
Quote:
The home we're considering isn't close enough to the tracks to be effected in that way. They are also seriously considering making the area along the former tracks a walking path/park-like. My mom meant "risky" in that they may allow more commercial areas to be built and that we may end up with a "tattoo parlor or thrift store across the street" (that is a direct quote from her). Personally I wouldn't have much of a problem with that, and I also doubt VB would allow those 'types' of businesses near their beloved town center.
Yeah, I don't think you have to worry about tattoo parlors, lol. There will most certainly be more commercial uses but as you allude to they'll be in keeping with the feel of Town Center. If you're not close to the tracks, then forget my earlier statement. The city wouldn't mess with any of the established neighborhoods in that area, that would be political suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area