Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 930 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone, lots of good stuff on these sights, thanks. We want to relocate to Va Beach. spent 2 hours with realtor and narrowed down to Kempsville area for affordability..we have retirement income. My concern is with building a community, finding more liberal and metaphysical communities, flooding and the dreaded hurricane. I also am sad that during the summer, locals don't really go to the ocean..they go to local bay beaches...seems like they go to Nags Head or somewhere else. (wealthier people, of course live on the beach)Can you give me some feedback ...we are in our 60's, had lived in CA for most of our lives, but got priced out. We are metaphysical( I know about Cayce's institute there) and use a number of healers, body workers and the like.
Do you think we would fit in here? I am aware of the areas where service families move frequently etc..Realtor filled me in on lots. Hope you can give me some ideas...thanks.(ps, I am a singer, so is he and I do elder advocacy and volunteer work and I study hinduism and he native american studies...etc...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "locals don't really go to the ocean." I personally avoid the main oceanfront/boardwalk areas because of the hassle of parking, but I take my kids to the beach at Croatan, which is just south of the main oceanfront. It's just less crowded and, IMO, prettier without the hotels and whatnot.

Kempsville is generally a pretty family-oriented area. I'd think you could find something in a similar price range that's closer to the water if that's a goal, especially since I'm assuming you're not worried about the public schools. Or a slightly less suburban area would probably have more of the liberal types of people it sounds like you're seeking.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
We go to the ocean just not the oceanfront. The strip (oceanfront) is overwhelmed with tourists during the summer. The locals go to Sandbridge which is nicer. If you move to kempsville Sandbridge is closer to you anyway.

I don't know about metaphysical communities as I'm not into that but I'm sure they're around.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM

23 posts, read 41,717 times
Kempsville is definitely one of the more affordable areas of Va Beach. Most people have lived there in the same house for 20+ years and you may even find that some people are now living in what was their parents house. Acredale area and Stratford Chase to be specific. It's less traffic than some of the areas closer to the beach and more quiet. Not sure it fits the more liberal community but I think you will find it to be a quiet neighborhood where people keep to themselves but aren't afraid to wave and be kind.

Locals do go to the beach in Virginia Beach. You will most likely find them at the north end, sand bridge, or like someone mentioned above Croatan. If you have a military i.d, you can also find them on Damn Neck's beach. That's not to say they won't be on the #'d streets but a majority of locals tend to stay away from the tourist season on those numbered streets.

I grew up my whole life in Kempsville. My parents still live in the area and if I were to go back, I would settle for a home near Kellam or head towards Pungo. It's settled between Va Beach and Sandbridge. If you are looking for an older neighborhood closer to the beach, Hunts Neck Club is a cute established neighborhood near Strawbridge Elem by General Booth similar to what you would find in old Kempsville.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 PM

201 posts, read 195,196 times
Hi Weefus-
I love the ocean and am looking forward to going! I go year round, but in the summer the ocean front parking is a problem.
I'm wondering if your connections to metaphysical places where you currently are, know anyone in this area? Or is there a forum on this website for the metaphysical things- it might not be under Hampton roads area but under that forum?? My thought is that often folks that are into certain things such as metaphysical things have online communities of like minded people and often they may know what others don't.

I will say VB truly is a diverse community and they all seem to get along. So everyone can fit in, is it perfect for everyone, maybe not. Either way I'd check another forum for your metaphysical question- and also online communities. I think it might help you because even if the people / places might not be right in VB if they are nearby it might help you feel better about the move.
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by weefus View Post
Hi, everyone, lots of good stuff on these sights, thanks. We want to relocate to Va Beach. spent 2 hours with realtor and narrowed down to Kempsville area for affordability..we have retirement income. My concern is with building a community, finding more liberal and metaphysical communities, flooding and the dreaded hurricane. I also am sad that during the summer, locals don't really go to the ocean..they go to local bay beaches...seems like they go to Nags Head or somewhere else. (wealthier people, of course live on the beach)Can you give me some feedback ...we are in our 60's, had lived in CA for most of our lives, but got priced out. We are metaphysical( I know about Cayce's institute there) and use a number of healers, body workers and the like.
Do you think we would fit in here? I am aware of the areas where service families move frequently etc..Realtor filled me in on lots. Hope you can give me some ideas...thanks.(ps, I am a singer, so is he and I do elder advocacy and volunteer work and I study hinduism and he native american studies...etc...)

Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM

22 posts, read 45,210 times
@Weefus, in terms of finding a "metaphysical" scene, I don't think that will be a problem if you put some effort into it. I see that type of subculture very alive and active across Virginia Beach. (Moreso than any place I've been to on the East Coast, in fact, but that could just be me.)

You already know of the Cayce Institute —*and yes, that would be your first resource. Also check out the Heritage Natural Market on Laskin Road, which has its own sort of vibe/community. And there are plenty of body workers, meditation places, yoga studios, etc. around.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weefus View Post
Currents are not as great on the bay. Ocean it is easier to get caught up and you can't swim back to shore, riptide, etc.

Another thing is that the Oceanfront (I'm assuming this is what you're talking about) you have to pay to park and it is more of a decorative thing for tourists. Locals might go there if they live close by, but depending on where you live at in Norfolk and Chesapeake it is probably a quicker drive to the bay than it is to the Oceanfront. Also, Hampton, Newport News, and Williamsburg same thing; why would you drive all the way to Virginia Beach for the Oceanfront when you have your own beaches nearby. They're also trying to build up that neighborhood to be more "metropolitan"; the Virginia Beach convention center is there, as are high rise apartments and the Virginia Museum of Cosmopolitan Art and they will eventually build a huge stadium out there for concerts, sporting events etc. and more than just a bunch of hotels and motels, so those people don't have to drive into the city for stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if they put some shopping and more retail out that way; as it stands you have to drive all the way to Hilltop to find something meaningful.

The ocean thing is vapid for a lot of us. That just isn't really the culture here. Someplace like Myrtle Beach or Ocean City perhaps but this is so many other things than the beach.

Last edited by goofy328; 04-01-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area