U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 PM

29 posts, read 104,388 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to the Virginia Beach area and after a browse through Realtor.com I'm really disenchanted.

The schools in VB seem to be outstanding - can you recommend any outlaying areas that may offer the same quality of school? We have 3 young children so a nice family friendly neighborhood, safe of course, is what we are looking for.

I'd like to stay around $225,000 housing wise.

Thanks!!

PS - We are currently in Michigan so I thought for sure the housing costs would be lower in VA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 AM

82 posts, read 283,799 times
There are many good schools around the virginia beach area, finding a nice family neighborhood in that price range may be a little harder. While some areas have been hit hard by the current market conditions our area is pretty stable price wise. Northeast Suffolk may be your best bet. there are 3 bedroom 2 bath condos in that price range. There are houses in the 225k range it would be a matter of finding the right neighborhood for you.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 AM

27 posts, read 143,413 times
You may want to choose your Hampton Roads city based on where you may be working. Consider that gas prices are expected to hit $4 this summer and a long, frustrating and now expensive commute may not be a good choice for your sanity. Good Luck!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 AM

453 posts, read 1,759,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluekangaroo View Post
We may be relocating to the Virginia Beach area and after a browse through Realtor.com I'm really disenchanted.

The schools in VB seem to be outstanding - can you recommend any outlaying areas that may offer the same quality of school? We have 3 young children so a nice family friendly neighborhood, safe of course, is what we are looking for.

I'd like to stay around $225,000 housing wise.

Thanks!!

PS - We are currently in Michigan so I thought for sure the housing costs would be lower in VA
There are some good houses (in that price range) out the Ocean Lake area, but that is near the base, so jet noise maybe a problem. There some houses in the price range off of Rosemont road. It all depends on where you work. Good luck in your house hunting.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM

29 posts, read 138,857 times
You can get quite a bargain in housing right now; lots in that price range, and in good nieghborhoods with good schools though what constitutes a good school is very subjective).

I am not sure what size house you are looking for, nor your job location. If you provide more info, I would be glad to suggest some neighborhoods.

Pat

Last edited by pbmulligan; 03-08-2008 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-10-2008, 06:43 AM

8 posts, read 39,925 times
Default Housing and schools

Virginia Beach is pretty expensive - I live there and am a teacher - but the schools are good. Chesapeake has fairly good schools as well, but their new housing is also overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area