Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Eventually Downtown will reach capacity. And then Norfolk will have to take a serious look at either expanding Downtown, or building up other areas to create an urban core that is like Downtown, but not really. The construction of mid rise condominiums up and down Monticello is a good start. If they can clean up Church street and do the same, that would go a long way.

Norfolk is unique in that, in some other cities, Downtown would extend out to the Lafayette River. That is not exactly the case in Norfolk. Not taking anything away from Ghent or those other areas, but I think that this is the future of Norfolk. You might not necessarily have the aesthetic of downtown out that far, but I do think that those areas will eventually become more vertical. The housing projects are not going anywhere. But they may not necessarily have to. Other cities have successfully worked around these types of issues in the past.
The current issue of Hampton Roads Business Insider has a great article about urban sprawl in Norfolk. The extension of downtown will occur Eastward towards Harbor Park. There are already preliminary plans to develop the land between 264 and East of Harbor Park. It will also include a mixed use pathway from downtown by Waterside to the ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 03:21 PM

189 posts, read 195,674 times
Not impressed with the current Waterside, at least for the daytime. Its all restaurants. I wonder how different the place looks for nightlife compared to 12 noon on a Tuesday though.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:23 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unite757 View Post
The current issue of Hampton Roads Business Insider has a great article about urban sprawl in Norfolk. The extension of downtown will occur Eastward towards Harbor Park. There are already preliminary plans to develop the land between 264 and East of Harbor Park. It will also include a mixed use pathway from downtown by Waterside to the ballpark.
I'll have to look that up it sounds interesting.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Not impressed with the current Waterside, at least for the daytime. Its all restaurants. I wonder how different the place looks for nightlife compared to 12 noon on a Tuesday though.
That's what I've heard. I thought the place was supposed to have live music.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
They will have live music in the evenings, Weezer is already booked to play there. It will be a cool place, it's not just restuarants, the live music takes place in the evenings, and out at the park on the weekends, like the old days....

Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
They will have live music in the evenings, Weezer is already booked to play there. It will be a cool place, it's not just restuarants, the live music takes place in the evenings, and out at the park on the weekends, like the old days....
Sounds better than what we had. I was around for that last stretch of Waterside in it's last incarnation and I don't remember the emphasis on live music back then. Although I will miss those shops that existed back then. And it definitely looks a lot better than what it was then. Only thing I'm unclear on is if it is multilevel now or is it all on one floor. I guess I'll need to go there and find out.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:27 AM

Cool man, it was two floors back in the day, and live music happened in the summer on the weekends, outside on the law on the waterfront, it was great....
Please let me know if it ends up being one or two floors. I hope to visit this summer sometime at least by Labor Day weekend!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM

136 posts, read 443,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Cool man, it was two floors back in the day, and live music happened in the summer on the weekends, outside on the law on the waterfront, it was great....
Please let me know if it ends up being one or two floors. I hope to visit this summer sometime at least by Labor Day weekend!
Waterside is a 2 story complex. Only one business (the Harbor Club) on the 2nd floor for now. There are more restaurants coming later this year.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffConn View Post
Waterside is a 2 story complex. Only one business (the Harbor Club) on the 2nd floor for now. There are more restaurants coming later this year.
Thanks man.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:50 AM

A very cool history of Waterside ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT48Ql772jE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area