Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 AM

131 posts, read 144,887 times

Advertisements

Hi all. This August I'll be leaving Raleigh (where I've happily lived for the past ~3 years) to start grad school at The College of William and Mary. I've only been to Williamsburg a couple times--once to do a campus tour, and once visiting colonial Williamsburg--so I don't really know the area. Obviously I plan on visiting over the summer to do some leg work, but right now I'm making a spreadsheet of areas/apartment complexes to check out.

Do you all have any recommendations? For a price point I don't want to go very far above $1000/month rent. I've stayed in apartments in the past, but wouldn't mind renting a house if it's around the same cost. Proximity to school is a factor, but I get the feeling Williamsburg is a very small city, so it might not be an issue? Please correct me if I'm wrong! I don't know how far from campus I can live and still have a decent commute (not much longer than 15 minutes).

I have a border collie, so pet friendly is a must. I really like being near parks (we hike and bird-watch!), movie theaters, restaurants, etc. I'm 25, so I'm not quite ready for a totally quiet life

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
"In-Law" suites are extremely popular near W&M. I went there myself back in the late 2000s. Many of my classmates lived either in the dorms or in one of these suites near the college. Pretty much all are off Richmond Rd.(or one of its side streets).

They're very small(usually ~400sq ft) and they can get loud from the occasional party, but they're typically MUCH less than $1000/month. It's also nice because you can walk to class.

If you're going to commute, just avoid anything near Penniman and Merrimac Trail. $1000/month will be more than enough to get a safe place.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:19 PM

189 posts, read 195,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
Hi all. This August I'll be leaving Raleigh (where I've happily lived for the past ~3 years) to start grad school at The College of William and Mary. I've only been to Williamsburg a couple times--once to do a campus tour, and once visiting colonial Williamsburg--so I don't really know the area. Obviously I plan on visiting over the summer to do some leg work, but right now I'm making a spreadsheet of areas/apartment complexes to check out.

Do you all have any recommendations? For a price point I don't want to go very far above $1000/month rent. I've stayed in apartments in the past, but wouldn't mind renting a house if it's around the same cost. Proximity to school is a factor, but I get the feeling Williamsburg is a very small city, so it might not be an issue? Please correct me if I'm wrong! I don't know how far from campus I can live and still have a decent commute (not much longer than 15 minutes).

I have a border collie, so pet friendly is a must. I really like being near parks (we hike and bird-watch!), movie theaters, restaurants, etc. I'm 25, so I'm not quite ready for a totally quiet life

Any advice is appreciated!

Very easy answer: Governor's Square apartments

Old 06-17-2017, 06:31 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
Finding a house in Williamsburg for $1k a month will not be easy. For slightly more you can typically find a smaller condo in numerous condo communities near the college like Williamsburg Commons, Bristol Commons, La Fontaine and others. Some of the very small units in New Town rent for approx $1100.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 PM

25 posts, read 32,128 times
William & Mary also has graduate housing, you can contact Res life to get details. I live locally so didn't need to use it, but a few of my cohort lived in "grad plex". Julia Ann apartments off Mt Vernon was also popular with the School of Ed. I know at least one who lived there had a small dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area