Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 AM

80 posts, read 83,262 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I said I'd try to come back on here periodically and give updates so here I am.

We just made 1 year in the Hampton Roads area and are still very happy with our decision to relocate from the St. Louis suburbs. We did decide to purchase a single family home in the Kempsville part of Virginia Beach given the convenience of the area and good options for public schools.

Our favorite aspects of the area are definitely the beach and the parks/rec centers. We also appreciate the proximity we have to Town Center/Norfolk/Greenbrier which give us more than enough options for eating out, shopping, and entertainment. Having 2 young kids, we don't get out to the "night life" much but have caught a couple of comedy shows at the funny bone and a few performances at the Sandler Center or Chrysler Hall that were great.

Traffic has been manageable although I am a bit concerned that the HOV lanes on 64 becoming HOT lanes later this year will make my commute to Hampton a bit worse. Obviously that commute is not ideal but I think it is a good tradeoff for my family to be able to live in VB and for my wife to have a very short commute to work.

We have found the COL to be pretty comparable to St Louis (STL). We got an older brick ranch that had been nicely renovated in the $250k range so our mortgage is less than $1500 a month including taxes and insurance... can't really complain about that. Utilities have gone up a bit but are not overly expensive compared to where we came from even after rate increases. The high restaurant taxes are annoying, between tip and 11%+ sales tax that we pay when we eat out it gets a bit pricey. But groceries are pretty cheap and we tend to cook most night so it is a minor annoyance.

Daycare and elementary school have been great. No complaints there. Daycare is not cheap but I don't feel like it is more expensive here than other places.

Weather overall has been pretty solid although I didn't expect so much "severe" weather here. Coming from STL we are used to big thunderstorms with lightning, hail, and the occasional tornado but I didn't think that would be so common here. That said, my coworkers tell me this has been a bit of an unusual year in that regard and the weather data I have looked at supports that. Our first winter here was very manageable, there were a lot of days in January and February that I wore short sleeves.

People/Neighbors/Coworkers have been great. I have met a lot of cool folks from all over the country/world and have made friends with lifetime locals that are very welcoming. My only real gripe is some of the aggressive driving and people ripping through the neighborhood on their Harleys. But overall we are happy with the people here and have had no issues whatsoever as a mixed couple with multi-racial kids.

That's all I can think of for now. We are really looking forward to the summer season at the beach and the new Kempsville rec center opening next month. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
I heard the Kempsville Rec Center opening has been delayed until July. I'm eager for it, too, since it will be the closest location for us.

EDIT: Looks like it just got pushed to June 29:
http://wtkr.com/2017/05/20/kempsvill...-construction/

Last edited by jillybean720; 05-25-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vboryork View Post
Hello,

I said I'd try to come back on here periodically and give updates so here I am.

We just made 1 year in the Hampton Roads area and are still very happy with our decision to relocate from the St. Louis suburbs. We did decide to purchase a single family home in the Kempsville part of Virginia Beach given the convenience of the area and good options for public schools.

Our favorite aspects of the area are definitely the beach and the parks/rec centers. We also appreciate the proximity we have to Town Center/Norfolk/Greenbrier which give us more than enough options for eating out, shopping, and entertainment. Having 2 young kids, we don't get out to the "night life" much but have caught a couple of comedy shows at the funny bone and a few performances at the Sandler Center or Chrysler Hall that were great.

Traffic has been manageable although I am a bit concerned that the HOV lanes on 64 becoming HOT lanes later this year will make my commute to Hampton a bit worse. Obviously that commute is not ideal but I think it is a good tradeoff for my family to be able to live in VB and for my wife to have a very short commute to work.

We have found the COL to be pretty comparable to St Louis (STL). We got an older brick ranch that had been nicely renovated in the $250k range so our mortgage is less than $1500 a month including taxes and insurance... can't really complain about that. Utilities have gone up a bit but are not overly expensive compared to where we came from even after rate increases. The high restaurant taxes are annoying, between tip and 11%+ sales tax that we pay when we eat out it gets a bit pricey. But groceries are pretty cheap and we tend to cook most night so it is a minor annoyance.

Daycare and elementary school have been great. No complaints there. Daycare is not cheap but I don't feel like it is more expensive here than other places.

Weather overall has been pretty solid although I didn't expect so much "severe" weather here. Coming from STL we are used to big thunderstorms with lightning, hail, and the occasional tornado but I didn't think that would be so common here. That said, my coworkers tell me this has been a bit of an unusual year in that regard and the weather data I have looked at supports that. Our first winter here was very manageable, there were a lot of days in January and February that I wore short sleeves.

People/Neighbors/Coworkers have been great. I have met a lot of cool folks from all over the country/world and have made friends with lifetime locals that are very welcoming. My only real gripe is some of the aggressive driving and people ripping through the neighborhood on their Harleys. But overall we are happy with the people here and have had no issues whatsoever as a mixed couple with multi-racial kids.

That's all I can think of for now. We are really looking forward to the summer season at the beach and the new Kempsville rec center opening next month. Thanks.
Nice update, thanks for posting!

Old 05-28-2017, 03:09 PM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
Thanks vboryork (vbnotyork) Glad you're settled in.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
Thank you so much vboryork for your input. I am a single mom with 3 kids and I am currently living in a tiny town in Northern California and have been looking into Hampton Roads area of virginia for our relocation. I have been on Permenante disability after a serious injury followed by back surgery. Now that im recovered I want to move to the East Coast go back to school for my Paralegal Cert. and start living life to the fullest with my kids!! To make up for all the lost time while i was laid up.

I drove out to Elizabeth City, NC to look at homes but had to cut my trip short and never made it to VB. Which is really where we want to be. I'm looking for a neighborhood close to everything without the high Flood area and No Jet noise or Flight Paths. I have been looking in Kempsville. Can you hear Jets there? Did you get any flooding? Does anyone recommend any other areas? I have one child going into Kindergarden, 1 going into Jr. High and one with Special Medical needs in High School and than me wanting to return to school.

I also need to find out about the medicade in VA and see what the qualifications are for my kids. Because im on disability right now and I have a son with Type 1 diabetes. So for now i need to be sure he can cont to get his insulin and pump supplies. Here he is on a program call California Children Services. I have tried going online, Yet its a little confusing.

If anyone can also recommend any other threads or Forums about the neighborhoods that would be good I would Grateley apreciate it. Hoping to move in the next 30-60days. When does school start there?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daponte78 View Post
Thank you so much vboryork for your input. I am a single mom with 3 kids and I am currently living in a tiny town in Northern California and have been looking into Hampton Roads area of virginia for our relocation. I have been on Permenante disability after a serious injury followed by back surgery. Now that im recovered I want to move to the East Coast go back to school for my Paralegal Cert. and start living life to the fullest with my kids!! To make up for all the lost time while i was laid up.

I drove out to Elizabeth City, NC to look at homes but had to cut my trip short and never made it to VB. Which is really where we want to be. I'm looking for a neighborhood close to everything without the high Flood area and No Jet noise or Flight Paths. I have been looking in Kempsville. Can you hear Jets there? Did you get any flooding? Does anyone recommend any other areas? I have one child going into Kindergarden, 1 going into Jr. High and one with Special Medical needs in High School and than me wanting to return to school.

I also need to find out about the medicade in VA and see what the qualifications are for my kids. Because im on disability right now and I have a son with Type 1 diabetes. So for now i need to be sure he can cont to get his insulin and pump supplies. Here he is on a program call California Children Services. I have tried going online, Yet its a little confusing.

If anyone can also recommend any other threads or Forums about the neighborhoods that would be good I would Grateley apreciate it. Hoping to move in the next 30-60days. When does school start there?
Can I ask what it is about Virginia Beach you want to move here for besides being on the east coast? Housing is generally pretty expensive compared to civilian pay, so it can often be a financially challenging area. I honestly have no idea how disability and other assistance programs factor in, though.

You'll get occasional jet noise pretty much anywhere in VB. I am in the Salem area, not near any bases, and we hear a few here and there. Nothing major, though, IMO. It doesn't wake up my kids or anything like that.

Flooding is really a street-by-street thing. My mother and a friend of mine live in the same tiny neighborhood within short walking distance from one another. My mother's street has been flooded to the point of neighbors canoeing. My friend's street never flooded at all. My street hasn't flooded, but I know other parts of my neighborhood have. Kempsville is a relatively large area, so you'll have to just see if you can find out about flooding history on specific properties you're interested in.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:40 AM

119 posts, read 343,654 times
I'll just say it's nice to see some positive and rational post lately. The negativity on the HR forums from around 2010-2012 really killed this place.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:27 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
I'll just say it's nice to see some positive and rational post lately. The negativity on the HR forums from around 2010-2012 really killed this place.
It has also helped the HR forum since that one persistent, negative and combative HR poster dropped out a few months ago.

Knock on wood.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 PM

119 posts, read 343,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
It has also helped the HR forum since that one persistent, negative and combative HR poster dropped out a few months ago.

Knock on wood.
I know exactly who you are talking about (knock on wood) and there were a few others with similar trolling and bullying posting styles. I couldn't believe that I saw one still posting here and complaining when they had supposedly moved to their "much better quality of life" city like 6 years ago!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:48 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
The air smells much sweeter since Coconut1 departed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area