U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are looking to relocate to the Williamsburg in the next month or so, and want our elementary school aged children to go to great schools. We know the Jamestown and Yorktown school districts are great, but wanted to know if there are any elementary schools we should avoid? or are they all generally great?

I have looked at great schools etc. but none of that really seems to reflect how good the schools really are.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 AM

24,943 posts, read 35,604,031 times
As far as York County is concerned, I have never heard of any of the schools having the problems that other districts in Hampton Roads have, especially Hampton and Newport News. It is hard to choose wrong in York Co regarding education level.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,020,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As far as York County is concerned, I have never heard of any of the schools having the problems that other districts in Hampton Roads have, especially Hampton and Newport News. It is hard to choose wrong in York Co regarding education level.
I went to YC schools from elementary through high school.

I would be very careful of listening to people with no real experience with the schools.

Anyway, York County is fine for elementary schools.

I would never in a million years send my kids to their middle schools. Tabb and Grafton had severe bullying issues when me and all of my younger siblings went through. This wasn't that long ago.

The high schools are safe, but the education is a joke. Importance at Tabb was put on sports and extracurricular activities(we had mandatory pep rallies that took the place of a class period. I guess football is more important than math class). The teachers and class offerings were pretty bad. They still offer drafting as a technology class in 2017. That should tell you something.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:48 PM

17 posts, read 28,952 times
We live in James city county, and would recommend Matoaka, DJ Montague, J Blaine Blayton, Stonehouse for elementary.
Hornsby is a good middle school, Berkley, not so much, I don't know much about Toano middle. All of the high schools are good.

Be aware that the district is building a 4th middle school and will redistrict middle schools for sure sometime in the next 2 years. They may also re district elementary and high schools as well, but less certain.

The school system does not use a feeder system where everyone goes to the same school when moving up. For example, our son went to Hornsby middle school. About half his class went on to Jamestown High, about 30% to Lafayette High, and 20% to Warhill high

Let me know if you have questions or need more info.

Mike

Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM

25 posts, read 26,657 times
As far as middle schools in York, the poster above mentioned Grafton and Tabb. The other two are Yorktown and Queens Lake.

I've had 3 kids go to/through Yorktown Middle school and the atmosphere at the school is great. I have 2 7th graders there now and I'm nervous about the community we are leaving when we move. The principal has really put together a great team of administrators who genuinely care about the kids, they just brought over the AP from Yorktown Elementary. He has previous middle school experience and things are only looking up. The staff knows kids by name and gets to know them as people not just students. They are a "green zone" school and really strive to make the school have that community feel. I'm not going to say bullying never happens, it probably does, but we don't have the school in the news for it like others in the district. The majority of the teachers are really open to parent communication and working to make kids succeed without spoon feeding them. Yorktown Middle feeds into York High which has the IB programme and Navy JROTC. Students can also be bussed for half day classes to Bruton HS for the School of the Arts (SOA) The community feel takes more effort there. We went from a really great middle school experience to a "meh" high school experience.

Queens Lake Middle is the performing arts magnet middle and students can choose to be a part of that program, taking some of their classes at the School of the Arts at Bruton. We have some friends who go there and it seems that students involved in the arts program have a better overall experience than those who aren't. Queens Lake feeds into Bruton High School. Bruton hosts the School of Arts program which gets high marks from those who participate. Bruton also has (according to a sign on the building) one of the Governor's Schools for Health Sciences. I don't have any personal experience with my students in Bruton, have known a few who attended and find it just fine, but stick around the border areas and there is a general joke/attitude about Bruton and who it "belongs" too, like a pet in a divorce. Bruton has a Williamsburg address, but is a York County School. Mostly Bruton hides out up at the top of the county in it's little corner of the woods and does it's thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or