Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
The discussion "evolved the way it did" because a poster manufactured an unnecessary dis on the city of Norfolk responding to a complimentary post by a visitor to our region, and the city of Norfolk in particular. What "censorship" are you talking about and how is it unbelievable?
We ARE acting like the area is as strong as we say it is by trying to minimize the mindlessly random, stupid comments posted by blowhards that have nothing AT ALL to contribute to any civil discussion.
How are you "setting the OP straight"?!
What do you mean by "we need people that are serious about being here", what the hell does that mean?!
Jeezus, I am so embarrassed and stunned by the way some local posters come forth with these wildly irrational and illogical statements about this area.

Do you understand what FORTITUDE is and and how it has NOTHING to do with what this discussion is about?

peace out....

Sorry about all this Clayton white guy, this is an exceptional place to live and you got it. Please come back and explore some more. PM me if you like.

Maybe we should close this thread.....
Nothing to add? I added plenty of context in post #21. The OP was intrigued. I added perspective on the area which is rare considering the usual fear and loathing, "Norfolk is the most dangerous city", type of rhetoric that is par for the course on this thread. If the OP had done a first impressions thread in any other city, and did not have his or her facts straight, someone would have pointed out the inconsistencies. That is all that is going on here and all that most detractors in this forum ever seek to accomplish.

What I see in this forum are locals and apologists bending over backwards to get repeat business from tourists and to entice people to move here at all costs. So when someone has a valid criticism about the area, then we have personal issues as antagonists and miscreants. This forum was like that when I started critiquing the area back when I first moved here years ago and it is still like that. Hampton Roads is great, no disputing that. But the consistent assertions as if it is perfect, when there are no perfect metropolitan areas in this country, are myopic at best.

If you want to close the thread because you don't like what the few posters that like to tell it the way that it is here have to say then so be it. It is just an internet forum. There will be another thread tomorrow and there will be other discussions elsewhere. Just don't go down the NYC rabbit hole of Disneyfication and sell Manhattan when you have four other boroughs where real people are dealing with real problems. That's all that I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:04 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Nah. You were simply being a contrarian and feel the pressure to defend your position in order to save face. There was nothing noble or enlightening about it.

The proper response to " I had a wonderful time in Brooklyn" will never be " yeah but Queens is a dump".

Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Nah. You were simply being a contrarian and feel the pressure to defend your position in order to save face. There was nothing noble or enlightening about it.

The proper response to " I had a wonderful time in Brooklyn" will never be " yeah but Queens is a dump".
Sometimes Brooklyn is a dump. And if someone doesn't really know Brooklyn, there's nothing wrong with pointing that out to them.

There is no proper response.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 AM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Nothing to add? I added plenty of context in post #21. The OP was intrigued. I added perspective on the area which is rare considering the usual fear and loathing, "Norfolk is the most dangerous city", type of rhetoric that is par for the course on this thread. If the OP had done a first impressions thread in any other city, and did not have his or her facts straight, someone would have pointed out the inconsistencies. That is all that is going on here and all that most detractors in this forum ever seek to accomplish.

What I see in this forum are locals and apologists bending over backwards to get repeat business from tourists and to entice people to move here at all costs. So when someone has a valid criticism about the area, then we have personal issues as antagonists and miscreants. This forum was like that when I started critiquing the area back when I first moved here years ago and it is still like that. Hampton Roads is great, no disputing that. But the consistent assertions as if it is perfect, when there are no perfect metropolitan areas in this country, are myopic at best.

If you want to close the thread because you don't like what the few posters that like to tell it the way that it is here have to say then so be it. It is just an internet forum. There will be another thread tomorrow and there will be other discussions elsewhere. Just don't go down the NYC rabbit hole of Disneyfication and sell Manhattan when you have four other boroughs where real people are dealing with real problems. That's all that I'm saying.
Where are the "consistent assertions as if it is perfect"? When posters on this forum defend the area from ridiculous negative comments that is not calling the area perfect, it's introducing an alternative to negative rants. This area has it's negatives and positives, no one is wearing ROSE COLORED GLASSES as has so often been mentioned.
I suggested closing the thread because it was going nowhere FAST and the brick wall of sophomoric insipidness is STILL about to be hit head on.

Let it be and take a nap....

Old 07-10-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Where are the "consistent assertions as if it is perfect"? When posters on this forum defend the area from ridiculous negative comments that is not calling the area perfect, it's introducing an alternative to negative rants. This area has it's negatives and positives, no one is wearing ROSE COLORED GLASSES as has so often been mentioned.
I suggested closing the thread because it was going nowhere FAST and the brick wall of sophomoric insipidness is STILL about to be hit head on.

Let it be and take a nap....
I know what you think I'm saying, because its what you want to hear, but its not what I'm on about. I see your position, I just think there's a different way of handling naysayers. I also think that naysayers often need to be heard, depending on their approach. But its all good I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you because it isn't going anywhere. I'll see you on the next thread. 😊

Old 07-10-2017, 05:23 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Interesting discussion, but is there anyway to get the title of this thread corrected. It's Hampton Roads.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
So sorry for my careless spelling mistake.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
So sorry for my careless spelling mistake.
Easy one to make. You probably had something else on your mind. There is a Rhodes in Greece; which I never would have known if you hadn't misspelled Hampton Roads.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:40 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
It's great to read a review like this - Thanks!

I grew up in Va. Beach, and some of my family lived in Norfolk. My Dad's whole side of the family grew up in Norfolk in Colonial Place.

I still think of Tidewater (I still call it that) is a great place on the east coast. I love the area, and will hope to return one day to live again.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:04 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
It will always be Tidewater. "Hampton Roads" is a fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area