Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 PM

8 posts, read 17,405 times

Advertisements

I am evaluating a job opportunity in VA Beach and am wondering if living in this area will be the right fit for me? I am a professional in my late 20's of Indian descent. I grew up near NYC so am used to a lot of diversity but have also lived briefly in Ohio and North Carolina where I felt a bit out of place sometimes.

I stayed in town for a couple days after my interview and trotted around both Virginia Beach and Norfolk. I noticed a relatively young population in many places, but also a lack of diversity.

I'm wondering:
-How easy is it to meet other people/young professionals here?
-Is there a fair amount of racial tension/ignorance due to the lack of diversity, and do minorities have trouble fitting in?
-Are there any problems caused by the large military presence? (Wondering because of some things I've heard about towns with many military bases.)

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 09:56 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I'm a late 20s black guy who grew up in Hampton Roads. In honesty, I think you would feel pretty out of place in Norfolk and VA Beach. There are young professionals there but the region typically loses them to Richmond and Northern VA at some point. As far as racially, I would not be worried about racism but the area does not have a high Indian population per my visit back home last month. The biggest problems with the military presence is inflated housing prices caused by BAH and a dating pool which is limited for guys due to competition.

I honestly don't think a young professional would have a great situation living in Norfolk or VA Beach, hence why I will probably not move back, in my current life phase

Old 09-15-2017, 04:19 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
The VA Beach/Hampton Roads metro had the largest percentage increase in millenial's (16%) in the country between 2010-2015 according to Time Magazine. Richmond metro was second on the list.

SmartAsset listed Norfolk as the fourth highest recipient of millenials (in raw numbers) in 2015 and the state of Virginia fifth in the nation, also in raw numbers.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 09-15-2017 at 04:34 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
The VA Beach/Hampton Roads metro had the largest percentage increase in millenial's (16%) in the country between 2010-2015 according to Time Magazine. Richmond metro was second on the list.

SmartAsset listed Norfolk as the fourth highest recipient of millenials (in raw numbers) in 2015 and the state of Virginia fifth in the nation, also in raw numbers.
Eh...I moved here in 2014, and I'm technically a millennial, but I'm 35 and married with kids, pets, a house, 2 cars...since "millennials" now includes those of us in our early-mid 30s and those in their 20s, I'd think this stat includes a lot of families and military.

Interesting data points, though.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Eh...I moved here in 2014, and I'm technically a millennial, but I'm 35 and married with kids, pets, a house, 2 cars...since "millennials" now includes those of us in our early-mid 30s and those in their 20s, I'd think this stat includes a lot of families and military.

Interesting data points, though.
I considered briefly how the military presence could be why this area surged forward so strongly in millennial growth and then I considered that the military/DOD has been downsizing in this area for years, there hasn't really been an influx in the military population with the numbers in fact decreasing.
My feeling is that the de-militarizing of HR and the growth of other businesses is really beginning to fill the gap in employment options and that millennials are the ones filling these new positions.
In Richmond's case (number 2 in the Time stats for millennial growth) we all know that the city and metro are on fire right now in many different ways, food, arts, entrepreneurial activity etc.

IMO opinion the urban areas of Virginia have become a magnet for those seeking the good life and the accolades and stats are there as proof.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:48 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixtiles View Post
I am evaluating a job opportunity in VA Beach and am wondering if living in this area will be the right fit for me? I am a professional in my late 20's of Indian descent. I grew up near NYC so am used to a lot of diversity but have also lived briefly in Ohio and North Carolina where I felt a bit out of place sometimes.

I stayed in town for a couple days after my interview and trotted around both Virginia Beach and Norfolk. I noticed a relatively young population in many places, but also a lack of diversity.

I'm wondering:
-Is there a fair amount of racial tension/ignorance due to the lack of diversity, and do minorities have trouble fitting in?
-Are there any problems caused by the large military presence? (Wondering because of some things I've heard about towns with many military bases.)

Thanks for your help!
Well it is what it is isn't it. Now you have six other cities that are within the metro area, so what diversity you don't find in Virginia Beach, you'll find elsewhere.

Yeah Ohio is overwhelmingly White. I speak from experience. Although, Ohio has greater racial diversity within the cities the rural areas are overwhelmingly White. Not that Ohio is anti-liberal or anything, but people don't lead with that. Ohio just doesn't care about a lot of stuff people from other places tend to care about; its just noise, people are trying to get by up there. I wouldn't recommend it for a professional. Not even 40 years ago because it is not a White collar, working class area; you sort of have that in Columbus but the rest of the state is still in a transitional stage between working class ethos where things are simple and Black and White into the grey areas of professional, White collar existentialism, much of which the blue collar finds to be academic rhetoric.

I've tried Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. I fit in best in Norfolk. Granted, I was doing okay in your poorer/urban areas of Chesapeake, like South Norfolk for example. But I never got "what are you doing here" vibe in Virginia Beach. Definitely get that in Ohio's suburbs. I don't know what type of racism you deal with in NYC, if any at all, but if you really want to experience it try Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. You won't mind Virginia so much.

To be fair I find North Carolina and Virginia to be more of a mixed bag. They're supposed to be Southern, conservative, whatever but it depends on so many different variables.

If anything the large military presence is one of the things keeping this place as diverse as it is. Things could improve if we had some economic diversity here, because that would encourage other people with different schools of thought to move here. And we have some of the largest military bases. I think it is a good thing. If your concern, is dealing with people that are in the military your experiences could vary because you may never encounter anyone that is in the military. I rarely do.

You should be okay. But it is going to take time. This is a slow paced, lack back, networking type of area, a get in line and wait type of area, so keep your expectations in line and be patient. Things aren't going to move as quickly as they do up North.

Its just different. Short answer I'm sticking with for now.

Last edited by goofy328; 09-17-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:

I'm wondering:

Thanks for your help!
You're not going to have the hyper-diversity of New York, not close, but this is one of most diverse areas in Virginia. Virginia Beach is fairly integrated too--again, not integrated to a high level, but definitely a fair amount of integration. From that perspective, as long as you don't come here expecting NY diversity, I think it'll be enjoyable...

The diversity here is on par with urban Ohio (thinking Cleveland here), but less so than urban Carolina (thinking Charlotte and Raleigh here). Not sure how you'd feel out of place living in urban Carolina, if that's where you were...

--this area isn't going to have the amount of young professionals as urban Carolina would. In Virginia, Richmond is the place you'd want to be if you're in that arena...it exists here, but this is a service/military/tourist economy, overwhelmingly...
--I've only lived here two months. I'd say the racial tension is lower than many places I've been, even in Virginia. As with other places though, it also depends on where you live. You could live in a part of Va Beach or Norfolk that has segregation and noticeable racial tension, or you could live in the more racially mixed areas with very low levels of tension. In VB that would tend to be the north central/northwestern neighborhoods of the city, more racially diverse and tolerant, than anywhere else...
--the military bases contribute to a lack of young professionals because the economy here is over-reliant on the military. Military towns often have higher levels if conservatism and less "funky". I'm not sure I have the right superlatives but while Norfolk and Virginia Beach have some interesting nodes of personality, overall, this is a very "dry" area. I don't know how to describe it, but it's not altogether a bad thing. Just, if you're looking for an area with a very fluid, flexible, diverse personality, with a myriad if different types, events, and lifestyles, you can get it here in small doses, but you can get it elsewhere in spades...

This is a very simple area. People here are satisfied with the simple life. There's a beauty in that, but it is what it is...

Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're not going to have the hyper-diversity of New York, not close, but this is one of most diverse areas in Virginia. Virginia Beach is fairly integrated too--again, not integrated to a high level, but definitely a fair amount of integration. From that perspective, as long as you don't come here expecting NY diversity, I think it'll be enjoyable...

The diversity here is on par with urban Ohio (thinking Cleveland here), but less so than urban Carolina (thinking Charlotte and Raleigh here). Not sure how you'd feel out of place living in urban Carolina, if that's where you were...

--this area isn't going to have the amount of young professionals as urban Carolina would. In Virginia, Richmond is the place you'd want to be if you're in that arena...it exists here, but this is a service/military/tourist economy, overwhelmingly...
--I've only lived here two months. I'd say the racial tension is lower than many places I've been, even in Virginia. As with other places though, it also depends on where you live. You could live in a part of Va Beach or Norfolk that has segregation and noticeable racial tension, or you could live in the more racially mixed areas with very low levels of tension. In VB that would tend to be the north central/northwestern neighborhoods of the city, more racially diverse and tolerant, than anywhere else...
--the military bases contribute to a lack of young professionals because the economy here is over-reliant on the military. Military towns often have higher levels if conservatism and less "funky". I'm not sure I have the right superlatives but while Norfolk and Virginia Beach have some interesting nodes of personality, overall, this is a very "dry" area. I don't know how to describe it, but it's not altogether a bad thing. Just, if you're looking for an area with a very fluid, flexible, diverse personality, with a myriad if different types, events, and lifestyles, you can get it here in small doses, but you can get it elsewhere in spades...

This is a very simple area. People here are satisfied with the simple life. There's a beauty in that, but it is what it is...
The superlatives are on point.

Norfolk/Virginia Beach can give you a taste of the weirdness you'll find in larger metro areas. Could be Cleveland, but could also be Pittsburgh, Portland, or any other post blue collar city. Hampton Roads just doesn't have a large enough scene to truly immerse yourself in that atmosphere. But that should not be perceived as an indictment. Really reminds me of how things are where I grew up, in a good way.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 14,333 times
They say Virginia is for lovers. It forgot to mention "along with cops and tickets" Nothing but trouble if you ask me. Sure Virgina Beach isnt like in the 80s and 90s, (alot more racial profiling back then) But it just got worse in the ticket field and making right turns camera tickets almost on every major crossway.

No dude, find another city. Its true what some of the other posters have said. It just doesnt have enough of a population to give it a bigger diversity. Maybe the larger cities such as richmond may be more diverse.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:

I'm wondering:

Thanks for your help!
It is more than just military bases here. A lot more.

It can take a while to gain your footing. Really depends on what you're doing here, and why you're here. You won't "see" diversity at first, particularly in Virginia Beach, where you may see more Asians than you do Blacks, depending on where you're at. But you will over time. I've lived in cities far more homogeneous than any in Hampton Roads so it does not bother me much.

It is a large, small place. VERY suburban. People go to work, they go home. No one is out and about on the streets, even in the worst neighborhoods. You will have to go outside of yourself to make that extra effort to develop meaningful relationships. With anybody.

I can't speak for North Carolina, but racially, I felt that things can be a lot weirder and acrimonious in Ohio, than it is here. Ohio is more Black and White. Here it's more about outsiders coming in and wanting to change things, people wanting the area to be more progressive, people wanting regionalism, making arguments for collectivism, etc. Ohio does not want growth could care less about growth; anything that would have happened in Ohio, as far as infrastructure, as far as population, as far as the arts, entertainment, professional sports, high rises, Downtown, etc has already happened and if you don't like something, drive an hour to the next city and find it there. It all happened like 50 years ago. People do not care about those things at all most people just want to live and be left alone. Ohio people are a lot quicker to tell you how they really feel than they are here, which is more polite and is still rooted more in Southern Hospitality (though not to same extent). Its that typical Midwestern simple on the surface thing don't ask don't tell. You can't even get mad at people in Ohio because you already knew that they felt that way; you were just waiting for them to confirm it, you just wanted to be "triggered", which is 9/10 of the battle up there if you develop a thick skin you'll be okay. You may never experience that here.

Also keep in mind that Virginia, in general, is a lot of Midwesterners and Northerners, and a few from out West, sometimes as much as it is born and raised, particularly in the larger cities. So people's communication skills are often more sophisticated than they would have been had they remained in self-isolating situations back home. For better or worse. If you want an "authentic" experience you're better off out in Roanoke or someplace closer to West Virginia and Kentucky.

Last edited by goofy328; 11-19-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area