Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 AM

243 posts, read 228,510 times

Advertisements

lold. its already been said but as a va native of 12 yrs hr isn't hip. cant wait to leave. COL is extremely high for what you get. I'm looking to relocate because of this. even the wages are bad too. depends on your industry though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:31 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This area isn't one that thrives off the "hip" crowd, even natives seem to accept that this is a fairly vanilla area when it comes to excitement and things to do...

This area is somewhat overpriced for what you get, but I laugh every time I hear it's "expensive" here. Lol definitely not...

Downtown Norfolk and Town Center qualify as hip here. Town Center is going to continue to build up and out and attract social events...

I'm off today so maybe I'll drive around and explore some of the other "hip" areas around town. Ghent definitely isn't hip, though...
Well, expensive is relative to what one is used to. I find that prices are in line with a lot of what you can get in the Midwest. If you're talking about the East or the West Coast this area is actually cheap, and a steal. So I'm not sure why people complain about prices either; yes you need a decent income here to play, I'd say around $20 an hour, or two regular jobs, or roommates, but if you want to live in a downtown neighborhood or an exotic, up and coming neighborhood anywhere in this country you would end paying similar prices. Even West Virginia you can pay $1,000 a month in their larger cities.

Is it just me, or does Ghent want to be the next Williamsburg (Brooklyn)? All I keep hearing is Ghent; probably because I live in Norfolk, and the city can't stop cheerleading but Ghent is like a really small area of Norfolk that is sort of cool because they have mid rises, but then again not as cool as it could be, because you don't see the street traffic that similar areas of other cities do.

I'm not suggesting that Ghent needs to be larger. But it does feel like an area that might seem cool to someone my age but not so much a millennial or anyone younger. It is like they're trying to give the older yuppie crowd and the Gen X crowd something different but it isn't full on exotic for someone younger.

I think Norfolk is stuck in the old "we'll take our old warehouses and convert them into lofts" thing, which is sort of like, 90s, at best early 2000s, and that is as far as it is going to go. Anyone looking for Portland, or even Pittsburgh, is probably going to be disappointed.

I'm still a glass is half full guy and think that there may be some potential left, not just in Ghent but in Norfolk in general (outside of downtown) but a lot of the hype is that there isn't really much else to compare it with around here.

Maybe I shouldn't be.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 PM

243 posts, read 228,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Well, expensive is relative to what one is used to. I find that prices are in line with a lot of what you can get in the Midwest. If you're talking about the East or the West Coast this area is actually cheap, and a steal. So I'm not sure why people complain about prices either; yes you need a decent income here to play, I'd say around $20 an hour, or two regular jobs, or roommates, but if you want to live in a downtown neighborhood or an exotic, up and coming neighborhood anywhere in this country you would end paying similar prices. Even West Virginia you can pay $1,000 a month in their larger cities.

Is it just me, or does Ghent want to be the next Williamsburg (Brooklyn)? All I keep hearing is Ghent; probably because I live in Norfolk, and the city can't stop cheerleading but Ghent is like a really small area of Norfolk that is sort of cool because they have mid rises, but then again not as cool as it could be, because you don't see the street traffic that similar areas of other cities do.

I'm not suggesting that Ghent needs to be larger. But it does feel like an area that might seem cool to someone my age but not so much a millennial or anyone younger. It is like they're trying to give the older yuppie crowd and the Gen X crowd something different but it isn't full on exotic for someone younger.

I think Norfolk is stuck in the old "we'll take our old warehouses and convert them into lofts" thing, which is sort of like, 90s, at best early 2000s, and that is as far as it is going to go. Anyone looking for Portland, or even Pittsburgh, is probably going to be disappointed.

I'm still a glass is half full guy and think that there may be some potential left, not just in Ghent but in Norfolk in general (outside of downtown) but a lot of the hype is that there isn't really much else to compare it with around here.

Maybe I shouldn't be.
for the prices you pay here you could live in Florida as long as you don't plan on buying oceanfront property in west palm or Miami. this place is way over priced for young people. a lot of industries are underpaid here too. not that you can't make it out here but I don't think its worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area