Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,253 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

New to posting, but I've checked the forum a few times on and off so I guess you could call me a bit of a lurker. I'm currently living in Gloucester and have for my whole life but I'm recently engaged to my boyfriend who lives in England. We don't expect to start the immigration process for almost a year, but I've been doing some preliminary searches for areas to live in.

I'll be working at Newport News Shipyard for the foreseeable future as an intern, so I'd like to live somewhere that the commute isn't terrible, mostly looking to avoid the tunnel traffic. The boyfriend's a an international politics major, but most of the jobs in that career path require citizenship so anywhere he can get a decent job is preferred. My only real requirement is I want to live somewhere that's safe, we're both gay so the school system is irrelevant to us, but we may want a dog at some point though that is hardly a deal breaker.

I'm 23 and he's 24 if that helps at all, it'd be our first apartment together so I'm not expecting anything spectacular, I just don't want to have to worry about my car being broke into at night and that sort of stuff. Living in Gloucester my whole life (which is relatively crime-free) has made me a bit paranoid I guess and not used to city life, where as my partner has lived in major cities and seems to thrive in them.

Sorry if this post seems a little disjointed, but city-data definitely seems the place to pose this question. We aren't expecting to move for a year or so again, mostly looking at preliminary information and advice.

Thanks so much, I'll provide further information as/if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
What about Northern Suffolk, Western Branch - Chesapeake, or Churchland, Portsmouth (they all kind of intersect), where you could take the MMBT to and from Newport News, but then your fiancé would have the ability to seek employment in Newport News, Suffolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Norfolk? Heck, I know people that commute from there to Virginia Beach, so it's not ideal but is manageable. It's just a decent area to be at if you are trying to straddle both sides of the water. He may want to be closer to Norfolk/Virginia Beach and ought to look into client services positions at ADP (downtown Norfolk) where they do sponsor people.

I also feel like you will get a little bit of what you want as well. In that area, look into Wellington at Western Branch. It's a safe complex, reasonably priced, and would make a great starter apartment. Also, even if you don't feel ready, look into condo rentals in that area, because you can sometimes find a great deal on them from a private landlord.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM

312 posts, read 354,593 times
If you know you'll be at the shipyard, I don't see why you would choose to live southside. The apartments in central Newport News (CNU area) are perfectly safe. Stay out of Denbigh or anything on or south of 17 (Avenue of the Arts this far down, but also known as J. Clyde Morris Blvd, George Washington Hwy, etc. Still not quite sure why they do this...). There are good quality apartments at Port Warwick (off City Center Blvd.) as well as in City Center, itself. There are also multiple complexes off Oyster Point and Warwick Blvds. that are nice.

I know that, coming from Gloucester, you've probably heard bad things about Newport News. I can assure you that fear of the city is a common occurrence among rural people everywhere. I grew up in Albany, NY. People (smart, educated people--teachers) would have to come into Albany from the outlying areas for conferences, and they'd be terrified. Really, truly spooked. We'd just laugh and shake our heads. Best advice ever: Come take a walk with your boyfriend around CNU sometime. Then walk around the surrounding area (there are sidewalks). You'll see how scary it is.

Good luck with your move!

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,253 times
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply guys, been very busy with school so far and getting all my duckies in a row for work! Thank you so much for the replies, this has given me a couple ideas of places to look at. I really appreciate the advice!

Old 01-21-2018, 01:51 PM

312 posts, read 354,593 times
Any more questions, just feel free to ask. We're here to help.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Newport News isn't that bad out towards Williamsburg. The part you'll have to worry about is across from Hampton; out towards the airport, Oyster Point, etc should be okay. I would not move to the Southside just for the peace of mind of staying somewhere safe, but have to deal with the commute. There should be safe areas in Newport News, or Hampton, that you can live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area