Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 AM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times

Advertisements

My husband has an upcoming two day course while attending the Maritime Academy on Robin Hood Road. We are visiting the Outer Banks beforehand and then I planned to stay near the Boardwalk to do some photography while he's in class. A co-worker has already done this and stayed on the beach the first night and said the 20 mile commute was awful early in the morning. The last thing my husband wants is to be late for class due to circumstances beyond our control. Any advice from locals? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
If you would rather commute to the Oceanfront rather than from the Oceanfront just stay at any of the hotels near the airport. I would rather be at my destination and have to endure the traffic for leisure than to get in the traffic to make it somewhere on time, which is very difficult in Virginia Beach.

Quickest is probably 264 to 64 anyway (if you are staying at the Oceanfront). Recommended route, plus you avoid that traffic jam at Janaf. If you drive through town you run into all types of trouble. Your co-worker probably got jammed up once he got onto 64 before Northampton, due to the outlet mall and the usual jams that occur when you're trying to cross the Bridge Tunnel. If rush hour he probably got stuck on 264 out by Mount Trashmore.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 PM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
If you would rather commute to the Oceanfront rather than from the Oceanfront just stay at any of the hotels near the airport. I would rather be at my destination and have to endure the traffic for leisure than to get in the traffic to make it somewhere on time, which is very difficult in Virginia Beach.

Quickest is probably 264 to 64 anyway (if you are staying at the Oceanfront). Recommended route, plus you avoid that traffic jam at Janaf. If you drive through town you run into all types of trouble. Your co-worker probably got jammed up once he got onto 64 before Northampton, due to the outlet mall and the usual jams that occur when you're trying to cross the Bridge Tunnel. If rush hour he probably got stuck on 264 out by Mount Trashmore.
Thanks for the advice. I've done some Google "street view driving" and read some reviews, looked at hotel prices for possibly spending just Saturday night on the oceanfront in VA Beach but the prices are way too high. After three days scouting the Outer Banks, I think we'll just spend the day out on the Boardwalk before we head over to the airport hotel for a couple of days. From Google satellite, there's not much scenery around that area so I will go find some elsewhere. Just too much traffic to deal with making two round trips and mileage on our personal car from the beach each day...especially after driving 10 hours to get there. I've never been to Norfolk and was picturing it to be a mid size place. I guess no place is anymore.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:50 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've done some Google "street view driving" and read some reviews, looked at hotel prices for possibly spending just Saturday night on the oceanfront in VA Beach but the prices are way too high. After three days scouting the Outer Banks, I think we'll just spend the day out on the Boardwalk before we head over to the airport hotel for a couple of days. From Google satellite, there's not much scenery around that area so I will go find some elsewhere. Just too much traffic to deal with making two round trips and mileage on our personal car from the beach each day...especially after driving 10 hours to get there. I've never been to Norfolk and was picturing it to be a mid size place. I guess no place is anymore.
Norfolk would be a mid sized place if Hampton Roads were not so large. You may be looking for something more along the lines of Richmond or some of the cities in Northern Virginia, like Alexandria and Arlington. Virginia is nothing but mid sized cities and small towns it is the close proximity to other cities that make it feel larger.

They never got the word out to people that it is not just Norfolk or Virginia Beach, but seven cities and three suburbs around here. I didn't know when I first moved here. I love it reminds me a lot of Columbus Ohio. There are things to do one just has to go out of their way to find it. The internet is your friend type in "what to do near me" or try Eventful, VisitNorfolk, or Virginia Pilot for ideas.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:41 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
I would get a hotel near his course and then uber to do your photography - then, you can go to multiple places which I am sure is more fun.

I also see people taking shots near Stumpy Lake Golf Course every day, Norfolk Botanical Gardens (where their motto is literally there is always something in bloom here and is close to the airport), Norfolk Pagoda and Park. You should look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area