Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 01:17 PM

75 posts, read 78,854 times

Advertisements

I know this community is almost 10 years old, but overall how is this area for retirement purposes? I don't think it is a 55 plus community but I'm wondering about safety, traffic etc. Hopefully, this is on the correct forum. I wish they would add Williamsburg to one of the subforums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:56 PM

17 posts, read 35,929 times
It does not appear to be 55+, here's a link from a local realtor's site. Traffic is not bad out on that section of Monticello, further in as you go into town it can get crowded at morning/evening/lunch. It's a safe area
There are lots of different communities out there

This is the correct forum but not a lot of traffic. You could contact this realtor or one of the others in the area

Braemar Creek Condos

Mike

Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM

Thanks! I was just wondering about the area because I've read about a timeshare community being in the area of Greenspring. We're planning to visit soon and we'll explore. Also want to revisit settlement at Powhatan and Powhatan secondary.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:17 AM

133 posts, read 98,228 times
Make sure you can afford to Retire in Williamsburg. When we left bed there 10 years ago, there were many new stories about people going broke and having to move cause they couldn’t afford to stay there. And they were professionals.. it is truly beautiful but very very expensive.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 AM

I'm researching some of this now. Its funny you brought this up. Taxes would be over 1500.00 less for us, BUT then you have to add in the annual personal property tax. The other thing we have noticed is HOA fees don't look bad on paper, $250.00, but most do not include lawn care. So, adding in another 125-140 a month adds up. We want to enter into this with our eyes open. Thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:42 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
Default Braemar Creek info

I guess I am a little late to the party. Sorry for a delayed response.

Condo fees at Braemar Creek are $178 monthly. This includes lawn care, roof replacement, exterior building maintenance and a master insurance policy, trash collection, pool, tennis courts, playground, use of clubhouse and a small fitness room.

Your homeowner's insurance should only be $300 annual since the master policy covers the dwelling.

You will find folks of all ages living in Braemar though it tends to more empty nesters, retirees predominantly. There are a number of second homes there in addition. You will see a few school-age kids there but not many.

Personal property taxes are not that high IMO compared to other places I have lived. There is a Personal Property Tax Relief Act on the first $20,000 of assessed value. The amount of relief is determined annually based upon County demographics and is shown as a credit on your personal property tax bill. If your qualifying vehicle’s value is $1,000 or less, the Board of Supervisors has eliminated your tax.

I have attached a few neighborhood photos showing some of the condos both garage models and non garage models. The clubhouse, tennis courts, pool, fitness room, playground etc. Note : the community is surrounded by the Williamsburg National Golf Club.
Attached Thumbnails
Braemar Creek Williamsburg-clubhouse.jpg   Braemar Creek Williamsburg-picnic-area-braemar-creek-williamsburg-va.jpg   Braemar Creek Williamsburg-fitness-room.jpg   Braemar Creek Williamsburg-braemar_creek_pool_50.jpg   Braemar Creek Williamsburg-1101-braemar-creek.jpg  

Braemar Creek Williamsburg-1103-braemar-creek-dr-1.jpg   Braemar Creek Williamsburg-2001-duntrune-gln-1_37097102611_o.jpg   Braemar Creek Williamsburg-front1.jpg   Braemar Creek Williamsburg-golf-view-2-2-.jpg  

Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM

Thanks so much Mr Williamsburg. We will definitely check out the community. I like the idea that it is not age restricted and hopefully not too many seasonal renters.

I'll also have to try to learn more about the Personal Property Tax. So far, I thought based on the value of your car you were taxed $4 for every 100 but I'm not sure that is correct.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:40 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
There are no seasonal rentals allowed at Braemar Creek. They only allow 12 month rentals. And yes personal property is four dollars per hundred but the first 20,000 of value is not taxed.

So if you own one 20 K automobile you won’t pay any tax .

Old 03-01-2018, 05:17 PM

That's encouraging. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area