Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 682 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I have moved to Virginia Beach from Westchester County, NY, in attempts to find an affordable duplex property. My goal is not necessarily to buy something I would want to make my forever home just yet, but somewhere I’ll be safe and secure, while paying very little on my mortgage, for a year or so, at which point I will start the process again, keeping duplex number 1, and so on.

Ive set my sights on Norfolk to begin. One of the houses I’m looking at is in Glenwood Park, and this particular house checks a lot of boxes for me. Te only thing that concerns me is that it seems (based on neighborhood scout reports) that it’s not a particularly safe neighborhood. It’s hard to tell — I’ve seen so many mixed reviews. Again, it doesn’t necessarily need to be my forever home to raise my future family in, just somewhere that can be future income producing property, where I can live comfortably for a year or two.

Do any of y’all (see, I’m becoming a Virginian already) have any input on this specific neighborhood? To further clarify, the House is on Woodview Ave.

I’d appreciate your input! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 11:25 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Working class neighborhood nothing special. Heavy military area, probably because it is close to the Navy Base.

If you have to be down that way I'd probably try Northside, Colonial Heights, Alden Heights, etc. At least you're closer to the beach that way. Those aren't the best neighborhoods either, but I'm not too crazy about the feel over there at Glenwood Park. I know it is cheap over that way.

For what you're paying in Glenwood Park, if it is anything close to the median in that neighborhood, as Neighborhood Scout lists it, I would rather pay that in Chesapeake or Virginia Beach, if I were purchasing, than to do so in Norfolk. A lot of times in Norfolk you can get a good deal but go one or two blocks outside of your neighborhood and you have problems, or you might hear where someone else is having problems at night when you're trying to sleep. Even in a good neighborhood stuff happens; the other day in Ghent there was a shooting in a Harris Teeter parking lot. And the people over there are paying like $500,000. But that is extremely rare and the first I've heard of anything over there and I've been here over eight years. Norfolk also has a ton of rentals because the price to purchase is so high; you would never know it casually going through but you would be surprised how many homes for rent are in this city.

That's just me. Either pay the price in Norfolk, or find something cheaper in one of the more suburban areas of this metro like everyone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area