U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 PM

11 posts, read 66,210 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty new to the area; but we're looking for a dog park. Just left a "Bark Park" of 3 acres of fenced in land where pups could play off leash, so I'm not really looking for a pet run. Where are there decent-sized dog parks in the area?

By the way, I live in Norfolk, but am willing to travel (10-20 minutes?)

Many thanks, Annie and Rey for Bella (who puts her paw print here!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 PM

1,737 posts, read 6,056,827 times
I only one I can think of off hand is in Red Wing park in VB off General Boothe but that is quite a drive for you. I would hope Norfolk might have one but really not sure. Best of luck.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:37 AM

32 posts, read 165,408 times
Default Dog Parks in Norfolk...

I used to live in the Ghent section of Norfolk. There were 3 dog parks that my wife, Dexter (boxer) and I would make it to in Norfolk...
1) in Colonial Place - fenced in
2) Ghent - Stockley Gardens section of Ghent called "Barkley Gardens". It is small, but a great gathering place to meet people and dogs. Its not fenced, but its small enough and in a quiet enough neighborhood to police your little buddies. I was actually part of a grass roots effort to try and get the city to fence it. I'm not sure how that has turned out. This was almost 2 years ago.
3) PETA - The PETA HQ in the Freemason/Fort Norfolk area was the best. It was fenced in on two sides and borders the Elizabeth River on the other 2, "Doggie Mits" for clean up, toys, and a ramp that goes into the river. Dexter is not a swimmer, but he would go right up to the edge of the park and cheer on his swimming pals. It also has great views of the Norfolk and Portsmouth skylines from the Elizabeth and you can watch the boats go by. It was our favorite and Dexter's too!

All of the parks are free and open to anyone. Just make sure you police your pup. Most people do a great job of this and there are no issues.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:11 AM

11 posts, read 66,210 times
Default dog parks

Thanks so much you guys for answering. Hopefully, I can follow through and take Bella to the fenced in one today and explore the fenced in on 2 sides in Ghent with my husband this weekend.

Bella has been so traumatized by our recent relocation and I'd like to continue one constant in her little life: a dog park. By the way, how big is the fenced in at Colonial _________in Norfolk?

I don't think that the one fenced only on 2 sides will be a problem; in as much as she is a HOUND and will run after ANYTHING, she won't get near water unless it's a puddle. She's not like a lab who'll leap through the water. Timid!

You DON'T know how grateful my husband and I are. We did get an e-mail with info about Redwing and another park in VB, but I'd love it to be closer. Anything in Chesapeake? We're about 5 minutes drive from Military Highway and Virgnia Beach Blvd.

Keep those ideas a 'coming!

Annie

Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,932 times
http://www.virginia.org/site/descrip...&CharID=303687

Quote:
Chesapeake boasts three dog parks; First dog park in: Winner of “Best New Facility” in Virginia award! City Park Dog Park; latest dog park, fall 2005—Small Dog Park—designed for dogs 25 lbs and under only. Parks are off-leash, fenced-in park for dogs contains benches, water fountain for dogs and owners, ****-scoop bags and covered trash cans. Rules and behavior guidelines are posted and available online, at community centers, libraries, and most area pet stores and veterinary offices. Western Branch Dog Park, 3rd dog park; located on Portsmouth Blvd near Western Branch Community Center; features two covered picnic tables and round benches encircling trees.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM

73 posts, read 457,061 times
I like the dog park at Chesapeake City Park the best. It will be a bit of a drive for you, but not as bad as Red Wing. It's off of Greenbrier Parkway.

What kind of hound do you have? I have three greyhounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area