Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times

Advertisements

Hampton Roads is a place you're going to have to develop relationships and put in the work to find something to do. There's stuff here, but it won't come to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
This is really a comfortable place you find to die. It really is. Like what Florida used to be back in the sixties. There are a few things going on here and there but not a whole lot. That may change as more people move here, but so far it does not seem to have any impact on things here.
That just about sums it up. And with HR lagging in population and job growth, any change due to people moving in is going to be slow.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:59 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
It's crazy to me that someone can't find something to do in Hampton Roads. Breweries, boating, beaches, hiking, historic sites, vinyards, concerts, theater, amusement parks, festivals, museums, fishing... Aside from professional sports ( there's still baseball, hockey, soccer and college sports) I'm not sure what's missing.

There are more than two options with regards to places to live. Don't just move back to NJ. Stay in motion until you find a place that fits.
It's crazy to me as well, can't wrap my head around the statement that someone thinks there's nothing to do here!? New experiences/stimulations are not going to ring one's doorbell, get out and explore....

Old 06-01-2018, 01:57 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Hampton Roads is a place you're going to have to develop relationships and put in the work to find something to do. There's stuff here, but it won't come to you.
I'll add you don't usually need to even put in MUCH work. I find a lot of things to do just by browsing local "events" on Facebook. When we don't have the kids with us, we've done comedy shows, festivals, concerts, trivia night events...I mean, we're pretty nerdy, so not everyone will be into the same kinds of things, but there's other stuff to do as well

Old 06-02-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
That just about sums it up. And with HR lagging in population and job growth, any change due to people moving in is going to be slow.
Population growth is at a snails pace here. It isn't going to take off until the cities cooperate on transportation infrastructure. No reason to move here just to sit in traffic.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'll add you don't usually need to even put in MUCH work. I find a lot of things to do just by browsing local "events" on Facebook. When we don't have the kids with us, we've done comedy shows, festivals, concerts, trivia night events...I mean, we're pretty nerdy, so not everyone will be into the same kinds of things, but there's other stuff to do as well
Thank God for the Internet right?

That is usually what I do. Or if you're involved with some organization; a church, go to meet ups, etc someone will have some idea about what to do around here. This isn't an area big on marketing and advertising itself so one has to think out of the box.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 PM

43 posts, read 47,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover1177 View Post
I moved here this past August for a job and it is now May 2018. I moved here from northwest New Jersey where it is quiet and rural living. All I see from this area is slowness, congestion and absolutely nothing to do, and the price of living is way too high! Does anyone actually like this area, I already am contemplating Moving back to New Jersey! Where I will be closer to family and friends!
I am from northwest NJ and some of my family still lives there. Maybe you can be more specific regarding locale.... I am from Sparta. I have cousins in Randolph, Branchville and Rockaway.

Salaries are lower here, but costs are also much lower. My mom's house is less than half the size of mine and taxes are nearly 3 times as much INCLUDING the car tax on my 3 cars. I find that there is MUCH more to do here. I-80 is at least as congested as 64, and 287/280 etc are horrible in NJ. NJ does have nice smaller townships and the schools are a little better (although they don't offer academies and opportunities like VB schools do).

Frankly, this place is much better for me.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:03 PM

107 posts, read 121,891 times
Historic sites? Vineyards? Where? (Keep in mind Williamsburg is not part of "Hampton Roads")

I can't say for sure, haven't lived there for some time now, but I lived there for years and it only got worse as time went on. These nice-looking neighborhoods would go up and in no time they were run down. IMO the bulk of it was trashy, the people were trashy, much of it was just very "ghetto"......barf. Maybe it's changed in recent years but I'd be very surprised.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:57 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Keep in mind Williamsburg IS INCLUDED in the VA Beach/Norfolk/Newport News MSA (Hampton Roads). Your lack of insight into the area was revealed with your first sentence. So sorry to have lost you to an imagined utopia......
It's not ok to insult people and places to try and prove a point, not a good look at all dude.

BTW, "Barf" is such an intelligent word, your bag of tricks is just full of enlightened observations.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 AM

OMG not only is Williamsburg part of Hampton Roads but there are two suburbs/counties that are also part of the region.

smh

The trolling is hard in this forum.

For anyone that doesn't know, the counties/cities in this region are contiguous. So Williamsburg is very much included. This isn't something we're making up this is the MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area