Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 03:35 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
In my situation I was in Harrisonburg and I just moved uninformed because I couldn't find a job back there. I got a job here out there. I had roommates when I moved here. I didn't really feel it until I was paying $1,280 for a house in South Norfolk. Everyone else was paying $700, so yeah I got played. That house isn't even there anymore. I'm only paying $900 now but it's me and my wife so it hurts but not as much as it would a single person.

Now would I have moved here without a job. No! I wouldn't do that anywhere.
Yea, I hear you. Sometimes you do what you have to do. It may or may not work out.
Live and learn. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 4,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
It's crazy to me that someone can't find something to do in Hampton Roads. Breweries, boating, beaches, hiking, historic sites, vinyards, concerts, theater, amusement parks, festivals, museums, fishing... Aside from professional sports ( there's still baseball, hockey, soccer and college sports) I'm not sure what's missing.

There are more than two options with regards to places to live. Don't just move back to NJ. Stay in motion until you find a place that fits.
^ What he said!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:47 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Only way to deal with this is to research the area and see what actually pays. Due to the military presence, that is going to be engineering, computers, IT, or some other sciecne. Maybe medical and education.
Minimum wage at my employer is $15 an hour. I work in IT and my starting salary as an entry level developer was pretty fair and a good amount above company minimum. It was determined that my salary was not reflective of the cost of living by my employer so I got a 26% raise and then a promotion. For people that enjoy that type of work, this is not a bad area to be in and employers are fighting to get you or keep you if you're good (hence the rate adjustment/promotions). They'll fire you if you are bad, though. Could I get more in DC? Sure. I just don't want to live there. My husband who got a degree in biology found nothing in the area. Eventually, he decided he wanted to work towards becoming a firefighter, paramedic, then physicians' assistant. Paramedics with medical transport companies tend to make about $24/hr depending on the company. That's not bad for a two year program.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Minimum wage at my employer is $15 an hour. I work in IT and my starting salary as an entry level developer was pretty fair and a good amount above company minimum. It was determined that my salary was not reflective of the cost of living by my employer so I got a 26% raise and then a promotion. For people that enjoy that type of work, this is not a bad area to be in and employers are fighting to get you or keep you if you're good (hence the rate adjustment/promotions). They'll fire you if you are bad, though. Could I get more in DC? Sure. I just don't want to live there. My husband who got a degree in biology found nothing in the area. Eventually, he decided he wanted to work towards becoming a firefighter, paramedic, then physicians' assistant. Paramedics with medical transport companies tend to make about $24/hr depending on the company. That's not bad for a two year program.
Not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area