Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 03:51 AM

108 posts, read 148,477 times

Advertisements

Hello, Virginians. My son is going to be leaving Rhode Island today to head to the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center in Yorktown, and he loves skateboarding, so I'm trying to find out if there are any skateparks in or near Yorktown?

He actually would like to try to stop and check one out before he has to check in at the Training Center on Sunday morning (so, on Saturday afternoon/evening, or on Sunday morning, if he has time), so if there is a skate park that's north of Yorktown, being that he will be coming down from Rhode Island, and will likely be spending the night in a hotel somewhere near Yorktown, I would appreciate a suggestion that might work for this.

Also, is the area around Yorktown safe? Are there any areas that he should try to avoid driving through or staying the night at a hotel in? Or will most hotels in the Yorktown area be affordable, decently clean and safe? He's only 19, so I can't help but worry about things like this.

By the way, if there is a really good skatepark that's not in/really close to Yorktown, but that's actually north of the area, please feel free to suggest that. As I mentioned, he would really like to try to check one out before he has to check in on Sunday morning, and he will be staying at a hotel on Saturday night, but he doesn't have to stay at a hotel in/near Yorktown. He would just like to try to be within an hour or so of the Coast Guard Training Center in Yorktown when he leaves his hotel on Sunday morning to go check in. So, if there's a skatepark worth checking out, it sounds like he would be willing to stay at a hotel that's a little outside of Yorktown, if it would give him an opportunity to check out a cool skatepark.

Sorry for the lengthy post. If anyone has any helpful suggestions, please know that some replies would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
Woodland Skateboard Park in Hampton is going to be the closest.

There used to be one in Newport News, but I think it closed a few years ago.

Yorktown is safe, but avoid Lackey, which is just about the only somewhat dangerous part of town.

If you want a good, safe hotel that is halfway between the Coast Guard Training Center and the skatepark, check out the hotels near the Kroger in Tabb.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:20 AM

108 posts, read 148,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post

Yorktown is safe, but avoid Lackey, which is just about the only somewhat dangerous part of town.

If you want a good, safe hotel that is halfway between the Coast Guard Training Center and the skatepark, check out the hotels near the Kroger in Tabb.
Thank you very much for the reply and the information about the skatepark and the area. I really appreciate it. My son is getting ready to leave for his trip from Rhode Island to Virginia as I type this, so I'm nervous and anxious and appreciate all of the help I can get!

By the way, is Lackey an actual city or a neighborhood? And a I correct to assume that Tabb is a city?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post

Woodland skate park is seriously lame.

OP I'd Google it before you recommend it to your son. It's also in a not the safest of areas. There aren't really any good skate parks around here other than Trashmore in VAB, but it's not free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area