Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,054 times

Advertisements

Not seeing any super recent, or relative, threads to my situation so I figured I'd reach out.... we will be relocating to Hampton roads/ Virginia Beach by summer 2019 ... haven't had a chance to house hunt in person or get a feel for the area just yet ... Lesbian couple with 2 elementary aged kids in tow, we're hoping for a welcoming area with a decent school ... minimal jet noise would be a plus! Without any firsthand knowledge I find myself looking at everything from Seaford to Chesapeake ... and in between ... I like the idea of a family friendly area but worry that it won't be friendly to OUR family ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:42 PM

43 posts, read 47,013 times
There are small swaths of people who might judge here, but this area is very liberal for a southern state. enjoy!

Old 03-08-2019, 08:29 AM

184 posts, read 243,169 times

I have helped folks find homes and agree with ODUthat there are no guarantees with specific neighborhoods, but I am not aware ofany neighborhoods where residents have shown this type of covert discrimination.Other considerations, if you are not familiar with the area is where you chooseto live vis a vis where you will work. We are prisoners to tunnels and bridgesthat can slow down traffic on good weather days. There are areas on theSouthside as well as the Peninsula that have high rated schools systems. So youmay want to look for a home in a better rated school district closer to whereyou will be working]

Old 03-10-2019, 07:48 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,398,654 times
This is the type of place where people live and let live on the surface but in practice just do not want to know for themselves personally. So any judgement you would get is because someone doesn't fit perceived stereotypical gender norms. People just don't like flamboyance.

There are all types here. For all types of reasons. Wherever you're from you'll meet someone else here from there. Or you could be here forever, not talk to your neighbors, not have any friends and just live your life one day at a time. The area is large enough and people are so busy just trying to make it that isn't unusual.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,054 times
I know this message is over a year old right now, but was wondering if you ever made the move? I am also a two mom household with a 12 year old son and we might possibly be moving to this area. We currently live in NY (long Island) 50 minutes from NYC and this is all my son and I know. We currently live in a very diverse area and want something similar. My main concern is good schools that has diversity. My partner is from VA and has previously lived in Newport news a while back. Do you have any advice or insight on what area would be the best place to settle down in?

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hamp...ton-roads.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area