Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,003 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
So I am from Chicago and I will be attending graduate school at Hampton University. I know nothing about Hampton and I'm trying to get some information about the area. My biggest question is where to find housing near Hampton University. Is there good housing in Hampton or should I go to an area around Hampton? How far are the surrounding towns from Hampton? Also would it be better to have a car in Hampton or does it have sufficient public transportation? I'm not sure how big of an area Hampton is, is there a subway or metra or are there only buses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco_de_Maya View Post
Hi everyone!
So I am from Chicago and I will be attending graduate school at Hampton University. I know nothing about Hampton and I'm trying to get some information about the area. My biggest question is where to find housing near Hampton University. Is there good housing in Hampton or should I go to an area around Hampton? How far are the surrounding towns from Hampton? Also would it be better to have a car in Hampton or does it have sufficient public transportation? I'm not sure how big of an area Hampton is, is there a subway or metra or are there only buses?
No subway in Hampton Roads.

Hampton itself is 137,000. The metro area it is in is 1.7 million.

It would be better to have a car if it is allowed. If not you'll end up with the taxicab, or Uber, Lyft, whatever.

Why Hampton, out of curiosity. Chicago is like 6 times bigger than this area, if not more. You're really living the simple life out here and the only way up is DC, if you want to earn anywhere remotely close to what you would get back in Chicago.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:59 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No subway in Hampton Roads.

Hampton itself is 137,000. The metro area it is in is 1.7 million.

It would be better to have a car if it is allowed. If not you'll end up with the taxicab, or Uber, Lyft, whatever.

Why Hampton, out of curiosity. Chicago is like 6 times bigger than this area, if not more. You're really living the simple life out here and the only way up is DC, if you want to earn anywhere remotely close to what you would get back in Chicago.

Just because the OP is going to Hampton doesn't mean he or she will stay there forever. OP there are several apartment complexes near HU but be careful as safety can be an issue. The area is car dependent.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Just because the OP is going to Hampton doesn't mean he or she will stay there forever. OP there are several apartment complexes near HU but be careful as safety can be an issue. The area is car dependent.
I asked the OP. It is a legitimate question.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I asked the OP. It is a legitimate question.
Im just going for grad school really. It's a "Thats where I got in, so thats where Im going" kind of thing.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Im just going for grad school really. It's a "Thats where I got in, so thats where Im going" kind of thing.
Fair enough. I've been in a similar situation back in my home state. I get it.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Hampton is very car dependent so that is not an option to not have one.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hampton is very car dependent so that is not an option to not have one.
I wouldn't be caught anywhere in the 757 or the 804 without a vehicle.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 AM

195 posts, read 130,795 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!
Perhaps it would be a good idea to reach out to the two in the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZjva1ZUX9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebp9T_uObqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFvA4mSwsmY

The woman is from California and the guy is from Russia. Both are Hampton grad students. He received a full scholarship as an international Russian-Tennis player to attend Hampton University's 5 year BBA-MBA program. She also graduated from Hampton and is now studying directing/producing in Hamptons's Theatre Arts Master's program.

They live off campus (I believe in VA beach) and have a car to get around. I'm sure they will be able to provide you with good information, since they are not from the area and appear to have adjusted quite well.

Good luck with your future studies.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:16 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
Perhaps it would be a good idea to reach out to the two in the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZjva1ZUX9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebp9T_uObqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFvA4mSwsmY

The woman is from California and the guy is from Russia. Both are Hampton grad students. He received a full scholarship as an international Russian-Tennis player to attend Hampton University's 5 year BBA-MBA program. She also graduated from Hampton and is now studying directing/producing in Hamptons's Theatre Arts Master's program.

They live off campus (I believe in VA beach) and have a car to get around. I'm sure they will be able to provide you with good information, since they are not from the area and appear to have adjusted quite well.

Good luck with your future studies.
I would HIGHLY advise AGAINST living south side and going to school on the peninsula. The tunnel traffic can be quite horrible and it’s unpredictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: