Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 AM

162 posts, read 801,503 times

Advertisements

Just some info about resort parking for locals: you can park for free all day at oceanfront municipal lots (not garages) on Wednesdays during tourist season if you show a valid driver's license that shows you as a Virginia Beach resident.

You can also park at municpal lots the rest of the week during tourist season after 5pm for $1.

Quote:
Municipal Parking Lots

There are 3,472 city-owned/leased municipal parking spaces available to the public at the oceanfront, south end of Croatan, and north end of Sandbridge. All municipal parking lots are operational from April 1 through September 30 and open 7 days a week. (In years when the Neptune Festival extends into October, all parking operations will extend through Neptune Festival weekend.) The garages are operational year round and open 7 days a week.

2nd Street lot has 101 public parking spaces, and is open 8:00 a.m. to midnight daily. Rates are $6.00 Monday through Friday and $7.00 Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park free every Wednesday through September 30 and for $1.00 after 5:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. (In years when the Neptune Festival extends into October, all parking operations will extend through Neptune Festival weekend.)

Rudee Loop lot has 152 public parking spaces, and is open 8:00 a.m. to midnight daily. Rates are $5.00 Monday through Friday and $7.00 Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park free every Wednesday through September 30 and for $1.00 after 5:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. (In years when the Neptune Festival extends into October, all parking operations will extend through Neptune Festival weekend.)

4th Street lot has 65 public parking spaces, and is open 8:00 A.M. to midnight daily. Rates are $5.00 Monday through Friday and $7.00 Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays. Charter bus parking is available for $15.00 per half-day and $25.00 for overnight. Anyone with a senior citizen decal issued by the Treasurer's Office can park free at the 4th Street lot. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park free every Wednesday through September 30 and for $1.00 after 5:00 P.M. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (In years when the Neptune Festival extends into October, all parking operations will extend through Neptune Festival weekend.)

9th Street parking garage has 610 public parking spaces, and is open 24 hours a day May through September and from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. October through April. Rates for April - September are $2.00 up to 1 hour, $4.00 up to 2 hours, $6.00 up to 3 hours, $7.00 over 3 hours, after 5:00 p.m. a flat rate of $5.00 and $7.00 maximum for all day. Rates for October - March are $1.00 per hour, $5.00 maximum/all day with a flat rate of $3.00 after 5:00 p.m. A monthly parking pass is available; the cost is $40.00 a month plus a one-time refundable $10.00 deposit. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park for $1.00 after 5:00 p.m. Parking for motorcycles is not available.

19th Street lots have 538 public parking spaces, and are open from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 a.m. daily. Rates are $5.00 Monday through Friday and $7.00 Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park free every Wednesday through September 30th and for $1.00 after 5:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (In years when the Neptune Festival extends into October, all parking operations will extend through Neptune Festival weekend.)

25th Street lot has 244 public parking spaces, and is open from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 a.m. daily. Rates are $1.00 up to 1 hour, $3.00 up to 2 hours, $5.00 up to 3 hours, $7.00 over 3 hours, after 5:00 p.m. a flat rate of $5.00 and $7.00 maximum all day. A monthly parking pass is available; the cost is $40.00 a month plus a one-time refundable $10.00 deposit. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park free every Wednesday through September 30 and for $1.00 after 5:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (In years when the Neptune Festival extends into October, all parking operations will extend through Neptune Festival weekend.) Parking for motorcycles is not available.

31st Street parking garage has 532 public parking spaces, and is open 8:00 a.m. to midnight daily. Rates are $2.00 up to 1 hour, $4.00 up to 2 hours, $6.00 up to 3 hours, $7.00 over 3 hours, after 5:00 p.m. a flat rate of $5.00 and $7.00 maximum for all day. Rates for October - March are $1.00 per hour, $5.00 maximum/all day with a flat rate of $3.00 after 5:00 p.m. A monthly parking pass is available; the cost is $50.00 a month plus a one-time refundable $30.00 deposit. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park for $1.00 after 5:00 p.m. Parking for motorcycles is not available.

Sandbridge Market and Sandbridge Municipal lots have 178 public parking spaces, and are open 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. daily from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend. Rates are $4.00 Monday through Friday, $5.00 Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park for $1.00 all day.

Croatan Parking lot has 505 public parking spaces, and is open to the public year round from 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. April through September and from 7:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. October through March. Parking is available at this lot free of charge for those who park between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Beginning at 10:00 a.m., rates are $4.00 Monday through Friday, $5.00 Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. Drivers who present a valid drivers license with a Virginia Beach address can park for $1.00 all day. Croatan Parking Lot will be closed for small arms training on the following dates: October 13-14, 2007; December 8-9, 2007; January 12-13, 2008; February 9-10, 2008; March 8-9, 2008; April 12-13, 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 AM

Every beach town on the East Coast has its own irritating fees and parking rules.

Ocean City, MD has pay to park. And, I might add, parking is sparse there!

There are beaches in New Jersey where you pay a fee to go ON the beach!

There are cities where you pay to park pretty much everywhere you go. At least Virginia Beach has some options for free or reduced parking costs for locals. And don't forget the trolley!

I grew up in MD and went to Ocean City, MD every year for vacation. It's way smaller than VB, dirty, and just as crowded (if not more). The traffic along Coastal Highway is awful. They have the same trinket shops, candy stores, arcades and junk restaurants as VB, except in OC they're ON the boardwalk. There is no separation like there is here, so EVERYONE is on the boardwalk, which is half as wide. UGH. There are no yards between the hotels/condos and boardwalk, like there is here. The beach itself is also just as crowded, but again, half as wide as our oceanfront beach. UGH again.

I am thankful to have the VB oceanfront nearby. We use it at will. Our kids enjoy the boardwalk so we go there in the evenings a lot for pizza at Planet Pizza and we walk the boardwalk after. We also enjoy the frequent fireworks and free entertainment at BeachStreet.

We also have family who vacation at the oceanfront every summer and have fallen in love with VB b/c of the zillions of activities they can do while they are here. They don't just have to be at the oceanfront all week. Every year's vacation can be different for them b/c they have ALL of Hampton Roads at their disposal. Contrast that to Ocean City, MD, where you pretty much have the same things to do every time you go.

It's all about perspective. You make the best of what you're given.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 AM

328 posts, read 1,539,764 times
What if your Drivers License says Norfolk on it?? Is that still Valid on Wednesday? I traded in my License when I moved from VA Beach, should of told DMV I lost it Darn..

Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjbward View Post
Every beach town on the East Coast has its own irritating fees and parking rules.

Ocean City, MD has pay to park. And, I might add, parking is sparse there!

There are beaches in New Jersey where you pay a fee to go ON the beach!

There are cities where you pay to park pretty much everywhere you go. At least Virginia Beach has some options for free or reduced parking costs for locals. And don't forget the trolley!

I grew up in MD and went to Ocean City, MD every year for vacation. It's way smaller than VB, dirty, and just as crowded (if not more). The traffic along Coastal Highway is awful. They have the same trinket shops, candy stores, arcades and junk restaurants as VB, except in OC they're ON the boardwalk. There is no separation like there is here, so EVERYONE is on the boardwalk, which is half as wide. UGH. There are no yards between the hotels/condos and boardwalk, like there is here. The beach itself is also just as crowded, but again, half as wide as our oceanfront beach. UGH again.

I am thankful to have the VB oceanfront nearby. We use it at will. Our kids enjoy the boardwalk so we go there in the evenings a lot for pizza at Planet Pizza and we walk the boardwalk after. We also enjoy the frequent fireworks and free entertainment at BeachStreet.

We also have family who vacation at the oceanfront every summer and have fallen in love with VB b/c of the zillions of activities they can do while they are here. They don't just have to be at the oceanfront all week. Every year's vacation can be different for them b/c they have ALL of Hampton Roads at their disposal. Contrast that to Ocean City, MD, where you pretty much have the same things to do every time you go.

It's all about perspective. You make the best of what you're given.
I agree, I am used to the California beaches and we rarely had an obstructed view or parking issues in the central and northern areas. Even San Francisco has free beach parking which was a real treat. I love the beach area here, I just think it could be a more vital area for longer periods of time if they courted the locals in the spring and fall and winter. And parking is just one area. Thanks to the poster who provided the good parking information.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Hmmm...I had a post here and it must have been deleted.

I posted the links to the vbgov site for the parking info. How weird. I thought stuff like that was within the guidelines/rules here? Guess not.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:26 AM

328 posts, read 1,539,764 times
I see it..

Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjbward View Post
Hmmm...I had a post here and it must have been deleted.

I posted the links to the vbgov site for the parking info. How weird. I thought stuff like that was within the guidelines/rules here? Guess not.
No posts have been deleted in this thread. In fact, I can see your post up here.
Yac.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
WJJ, it is a great post. Thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks. I still don't see it though. How weird!

I see the list of parking spots and info, but I also posted an actual separate post with clickable links, and it's not showing up for me .

Oh well!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Has anyone been following the saga about North End parking at the beach?

The residents there put up fake "no parking" signs on the public streets in front of their houses so the public thinks they can't park there. After some action by a local group, the homeowners are getting citations to remove the signs.

Evidently they also build extra wide driveways and have creative landscaping to try to prevent the taxpayers who want to use the beach from parking on the public streets in front of the North Enders' houses.

I hope that the city takes care of this quickly. I understand being frustrated by not being able to park in front of your own house, but when you live in a city, there is no guarantee of a parking space unless you have a private driveway. It's part of the deal of living on the North End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area