Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 14,417 times

Advertisements

I did that ride for four years. I always try to take the HOV to save myself the hassle. If your car overheats in traffic but not on the highway then your fan is not coming on. Put 12v to the fan directly to make sure the fan itself is good. If it checks out its a relay or temperature sensor. Cheap fix. BTW I snuck on the HOV at least three days a week. Tinted glass Plus listen to the traffic station on AM radio. If the troopers are working an accident then they won't be patrolling HOV... I'm bad I know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Hare View Post
I did that ride for four years. I always try to take the HOV to save myself the hassle. If your car overheats in traffic but not on the highway then your fan is not coming on. Put 12v to the fan directly to make sure the fan itself is good. If it checks out its a relay or temperature sensor. Cheap fix. BTW I snuck on the HOV at least three days a week. Tinted glass Plus listen to the traffic station on AM radio. If the troopers are working an accident then they won't be patrolling HOV... I'm bad I know it.
They opened the HOV to all traffic now. I normally take it to and from the base. The only restrictions are when you first come out of the downtown tunnel and that's between 4 & 6.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:48 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
They opened the HOV to all traffic now. I normally take it to and from the base. The only restrictions are when you first come out of the downtown tunnel and that's between 4 & 6.
Erma, are you certain? I just check the VDOT web site, and it still lists the HOV times.

I've been driving from souther VB to Norfolk for about 15 years now. There isn't an "easy" way! You will inevitably get stuck in traffic. I've taken Shore drive, Military hwy, 264, 64, 564, and too many side road to count. Hit or miss with any of them. My solution was to leave early and avoid the bulk of it. I get to work at 6AM, and leave at 3PM. HOV hours are 6-8AM and 4-6PM. I too have been know to "steal" HOV occasionally. I call it HOV Roulette.

I think they should just open the HOV lanes. West bound in the morning and East bound in the afternoon. HOV lanes were a good idea, but they just don't get much use. Nothing worse than sitting in traffic, watching 1 car per minute drive past you in the HOV.

The only way to completely avoid HR traffic is to move out of the area!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:26 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Erma, are you certain? I just check the VDOT web site, and it still lists the HOV times.

I've been driving from souther VB to Norfolk for about 15 years now. There isn't an "easy" way! You will inevitably get stuck in traffic. I've taken Shore drive, Military hwy, 264, 64, 564, and too many side road to count. Hit or miss with any of them. My solution was to leave early and avoid the bulk of it. I get to work at 6AM, and leave at 3PM. HOV hours are 6-8AM and 4-6PM. I too have been know to "steal" HOV occasionally. I call it HOV Roulette.

I think they should just open the HOV lanes. West bound in the morning and East bound in the afternoon. HOV lanes were a good idea, but they just don't get much use. Nothing worse than sitting in traffic, watching 1 car per minute drive past you in the HOV.

The only way to completely avoid HR traffic is to move out of the area!
Yea, I live by Trashmore and take the HOV every morning. Then after morning traffic, they open up the other side for HRBT traffic coming to the ocean front. Yesterday I left the base at 3 and took the HOV back home. The sign always says "Open to All Traffic"

Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Yea, I live by Trashmore and take the HOV every morning. Then after morning traffic, they open up the other side for HRBT traffic coming to the ocean front. Yesterday I left the base at 3 and took the HOV back home. The sign always says "Open to All Traffic"
OK, gotcha now. The HOV restriction times are still there, you're simply saying you can use the HOV any other time.

See you on the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area